- Text Size +

~ 14 ~

 

 

 

 

 

The Boogeyman

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Place: 2 miles outside of Philadelphia

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

+ Nick +

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have never felt like I was going to die before. I know I tend to be overdramatic and always drop to the floor after hours and hours of rehearsals would make my legs turn into jello but, that was all just me being me. I’d whine, “Oh my God, I think I’m dying!” to the eye rolls and head shakes of my fellow band mates but it didn’t matter, I was having a moment. It wasn’t until today that I realized how many times I have actually used those words. I said them way too much, took my life for granted. I put death in the same category as the boogeyman. Somewhere just out of reach. If I couldn’t see it, then it didn’t really exist. There was always a chance that one day he would come out of the shadows and swallow me whole so I just slept with the lights on. No shadows, no boogeyman.

 

 

 

Problem solved.

 

 

 

I glanced over at Howie who was sleeping beside me covered with a tablecloth. I don’t know how he could sleep. None of the others were able to. They were all just sitting around the small table, not saying anything as they ate. I wish I was hungry but I was too cold to even think about food.

 

 

 

I’m someone who likes the heat and I can honestly say I’ve never been this cold before. Kevin is concerned that I may have frost bite, but what’s the use in worrying about that when there’s nothing we can do anyway. My legs are killing me though; they feel like they are sun burnt. I’m still shaking but not as bad as I was when we found this RV.

 

 

 

We had been walking for too long choosing not to get off the main highway when we hit the exit. The main reason for the decision was the ramp leading off of it was destroyed, blown away by whatever it was that attacked this place. There were gaping holes all down the road and with the snow falling steadily and it getting dark, we didn’t want to take the chance of falling into a hole. We had no choice, so we kept on going.

 

 

 

Every step I took I thought was going to be my last. I found myself not being able to breath and the pain I was feeling in my legs was almost unbearable. I didn’t even realize I was groaning until Brian actually offered to carry me on his back. That’s when I knew I was in trouble because instead of bitching at me to stop being a drama queen, Kevin offered as well. I must have looked that bad.

 

 

 

I almost took them up on it, but the inner man in me wouldn’t allow it. So, I sucked it up and continued to walk, very slowly.

 

 

 

Within about three miles, we saw a mobile home, just sitting in the middle of the road like a big metal mouse trap. Its door was open, daring us to venture inside. We stopped around it and stared for a few minutes.

 

 

 

“I’ll go in first.” Kevin said, looking at all of us, maybe hoping we’d reject his offer and volunteer ourselves. When that didn’t happen he moved slowly inside the RV and within a few seconds gave us the all clear.

 

 

 

I couldn’t make it up the two steps to get inside so Kevin graciously pulled me in by my arms and led me to the couch which I haven’t moved from since. The first thing they did was look for blankets, grateful to find a handful of them and plopping most on me. I wanted to protest and say everyone deserved to warm up but I was shivering so fiercely all I could do was get out a small thank you.

 

 

 

“This was like a Godsend.” Brian said, sitting next to me.

 

 

 

“Or it could be a trap. I mean isn’t it odd that there’s absolutely nothing for the last 7 miles and then suddenly a perfectly good, abandoned RV in the middle of the road?”

 

 

 

Leave it to AJ to play Dr. Killjoy.

 

 

 

Howie was looking in the fridge, “There’s some stuff in here but it looks like it’s spoiled. Weird, why would it be bad?”

 

 

 

“Maybe it’s been here for awhile.” Kevin said, while sitting in the driver’s seat trying to figure out how to make this thing move.

 

 

 

“But that would mean it’s been sitting here for awhile then.”

 

 

 

We all just kind of let those words sink in. Up until now we were all just under the impression that whatever happened just recently occurred. There was never a possibility in our minds that it could have happened way before our arrival because how could we have not heard about it.

 

 

 

“I think I can drive this baby the rest of the way to Philly, if I could only find the keys…”

 

 

 

Howie gave up on the items in the fridge and went for the cabinets instead. “Here we go!”

 

 

 

He pulled out a few cans and quickly found a can opener. “There are some pears, fruit cocktail and a can of chili, anyone hungry?”

 

 

 

“I’ll eat anything right about now, I’m starving!” AJ said, taking the can of pears and opening them up for all of us to share.

 

 

 

By the time we had found the RV, the sun had already begun to set and the temperature went down as well. If we hadn’t come across this thing, we’d be dead. At least I know I would have been. Even though we were safely inside, as long as the RV wasn’t running, the cool air was seeping in. At least I had blankets and pants. Luckily there were also clothes in here. It seemed like before it was abandoned it belonged to three guys, maybe friends going on a trip cross country. Brian pointed out that the plates were from California.

 

 

 

“They came a long way to die.”

 

 

 

“They probably aren’t dead.”

 

 

 

“Okay…just keep telling yourself that.” Was pretty much the somber conversation AJ and Brian had about the topic.

 

 

 

Whatever the case, one of them was about my size and that suited me just fine. I was now wearing a brand new pair of pants and a flannel shirt and sweater over that. Suddenly the lights went on followed by a small cheer from up front. “I knew I’d get this to work!”

 

 

 

“You found the keys?”

 

 

 

“Uh huh, they were lying on the floor by the gas pedal.”

 

 

 

Kevin joined the rest of the guys at the table, “This will do for the night and then maybe we’ll be able to drive this thing into Philly proper and find out what the hell is going on.”

 

 

 

He reached over and grabbed the can of chili, “Are there any utensils in here?”

 

 

 

AJ jumped up and found some forks sitting in a drawer and handed one to everyone. “You want some of this Kaos?”

 

 

 

I shook my head even though my stomach was beginning to whine at me.

 

 

 

Most of the guys had changed into the warmer clothing this mobile home had to offer, all except for Kevin who was just focused on getting it warmer in here. I looked out the window and the snow was still coming down pretty hard. The sky was a dark pink. Under other circumstances, I would have felt almost cozy, but not now, not here in the middle of an abandoned highway in May.

 

 

 

I felt unsettled.

 

 

 

“How you holding up buddy?” I was zoning out and actually jumped when Howie spoke.

 

 

 

I looked over at him and smiled, “I’m okay.”

 

 

 

He handed me a small packet of crackers, “You should eat something. It’ll help you get your strength back.”

 

 

 

I grabbed them but didn’t have the strength to open it. Seeing me struggle he grabbed the crackers, ripped the plastic and handed them back while yawning, within minutes, he was asleep.

 

 

 

“Do you think it’s ever going to stop snowing?”

 

 

 

They all looked over at me, surprised to see I was still awake.

 

 

 

Kevin stood up and started walking over towards the bedroom area, “One can hope.”

 

 

 

He pulled out a few pairs of pants and looked at the sizes. Deciding on a pair of sweats and a Cal Tech hoodie, he walked into the bathroom and shut the door. I sat up and moved my legs off of the couch, wincing at the pain I still felt but afraid to look down and see if there was anything to be concerned about. Remember, if I don’t see it, it doesn’t exist.

 

 

 

“So, are any of us going to talk about this?”

 

 

 

Brian seemed disgusted and annoyed, “About what AJ?”

 

 

 

“Uh…this Rok,” He held up his arms and swept them across the room, “Everything, the fact that we have no fucking idea what’s going on or how long it’s been going on. The fact that we can’t get a hold of anybody which seems to be fine since there’s nobody to get a hold of, you know…that!”

 

 

 

“Maybe we were nuked.”

 

 

 

They both looked my way again as I continued, “What else would make all those birds drop dead and make it snow in May?”

 

 

 

“Nick, if a fucking nuclear bomb went off while we were in the air I think we’d know it!”

 

 

 

“What do you think happened then?”

 

“I don’t fucking know!” the can of pears he had been playing with sailed across the room as he stood up and went for the door only to stop himself when he realized the end of this tantrum couldn’t result in the usual storm out of the room and slam the door shut behind him scenario. “I just want fucking answers!”

 

 

 

“We all do AJ.” Howie who was asleep, now sat up and stretched. “Of course we all want to know what’s going on, but the thing is, none of us have the answer, so why bother to keep asking? I know it’s not making me feel better.”

 

 

 

I glanced around the small area, “What about a radio or TV?”

 

 

 

“Jesus, that’s a great idea!” AJ ran over to the dashboard and clicked on the radio.

 

 

 

A wave of static came from the first station he tried, so he tried another and another and another just to meet the same result. I placed my hand on my mouth wanting to scream out in frustration.

 

 

 

Finally just before he shot past another station we heard the faintest sound of beeping. “Turn back J!” Brian urged as he made his way next to AJ.

 

 

 

The beeping sounded like a fire alarm that’s battery was just about to die but since it was the only other noise besides static, we kept it on. Kevin made his way out of the bathroom disguised as a Cal-Tech grad student, “What is the beeping?”

 

 

 

“The only signal we can get on the radio.”

 

 

 

“What about a TV?”

 

 

 

“There isn’t one.” I answered, wondering how you can do a cross country trek without a television.

 

 

 

I was starting to warm up now and took one of the blankets off of me and handed it to Howie so he could ditch the table cloth. I felt a hand on my shoulder and a small squeeze, “You starting to feel better Nick?”

 

 

 

I nodded at Kevin.

 

 

 

“Good, why don’t you go eat something, there’s not much left but I did put a can of peaches aside for you.”

 

 

 

I nodded again and slowly moved to the table. I was walking like an old man, but I couldn’t help it. My bones were creaking and popping as if I was eighty. I didn’t think it was possible for bones to freeze in place, but I guess mine did. This is probably what it feels like to have arthritis. Now I know how my grandmother feels.

 

 

 

Or maybe I should say felt, I guess?

 

 

 

Kevin once again found himself in the driver’s seat. “I’m not sure if we should try to get going now or wait until morning.”

 

 

 

“I would wait Kev, with so much stuff along the roads, it could be dangerous, plus the snow…”

 

 

 

He nodded at his cousin but I could see the sense of urgency he had in his eyes. He didn’t like sitting out in the middle of the road anymore than I did.

 

 

 

“Maybe if we could at least move off to the shoulder, this way we aren’t so obvious?”

 

 

 

“I like that idea.” Brian agreed and a nod from the rest made me breathe just a tiny bit easier.

 

 

 

After a few choice words, Kevin managed to figure out how to make the RV move. The road was slippery below us and even though he was only going about 5 miles and hour and about three feet, I was convinced he was going to topple us on our side. Once we came to a stop, I opened my eyes.

 

 

 

“Well, that wasn’t fun. Not sure how I’m going to drive this thing the rest of the way to Philly.”

 

 

 

Suddenly the beeping that had been our background noise for awhile started to intensify. The beeping became louder and faster and with it, so did my own heart.

 

 

 

“What the fuck…”

 

 

 

“Shh…” Kevin held his hand up to AJ.

 

 

 

Beep beep beep… wait for message…beep beep beep

 

 

 

“Did you just hear that?”

 

 

 

“I said shh…”

 

 

 

Beep beep beep… wait for message…beep beep beep

 

 

 

We all walked over to the front of the RV and stood around just excited to hear someone else’s voice besides our own.

 

 

 

Beep beep beep…anyone who can hear this, go to spring garden street…Delilah’s…we will regroup there…don’t forget to stay inside after dark.. no fires…no lights, otherwise they’ll find you…beep beep beep…stay off the main roads and stay safe…see you at Delilah’s…

 

 

 

The beeping suddenly went back to the normal pattern and volume as we all just stood there staring and hoping for more.

 

 

 

Kevin quickly went into action and shut off the lights in the RV and an instant panic flew through the room as we all realized how long those lights had been on and how long we have been sitting on a main highway. Two things we were just warned not to do.

 

 

 

“Who do you think they are?” Howie asked in a whisper.

 

 

 

“I don’t think I want to find out.” Kevin said, now also closing the blinds and shutting off the RV completely. “I’m sorry guys I know its cold but…”

 

 

 

“No worries Kev, I think that’s a good idea.”

 

 

 

We all ventured slowly back towards the couch. Brian, Howie and I squeezed in tight as AJ and Kevin sat on the floor right in front of us. We all passed the blankets around and tried to keep as warm and quiet as possible as we just sat there in the dark, hoping the boogeyman didn’t decide to come out of the shadows and swallow us whole.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Wow, that was quick, right? LOL Hope you enjoy! Brian is up next!