- Text Size +

I guess you could say I'm not your everyday American girl. I am 25 years old & have aleady made more money selling songs than most American's could only ever dream of making. I have lived in this suburb of Nashville all of my life, but I finally bought my own home a year ago when I sold my first song. I had everything a girl could ever want in life, except love. Now one may ask how a young girl, such as myself, could write such amazing songs about being in love when I have never once experienced it. If you ask me, I would tell you that the songs were just about what I have always imagined it would be like to feel that way about someone. To love them so unconditionally that you would do anything for them. I have only ever been in one relationship. A boy named Billy that I have known most of my young life. We grew up together & attended school together, but he got his big break a few years ago & left me behind. If you ask me, I'll tell you that even though I spent 2 years with Billy, it had never really been love. It had been a relationship out of convienience. We had been best friends all through our school years & had decided to try something new. I've never once regretted that decision, instead I learned from it. It only made me long for love even more though. Little did I know that a warm July evening would change my entire life forever.

***

The sun was hot & I wanted nothing more than to go home from the studio & work on my next big hit. Sure, I wasn't an artist by any means. Sure, I could be. I actually had an amazing voice, or so I've been told, but I loved being the one behind the scenes. The one that writes the songs that give people their big break. It makes me feel good. Today was just like any other day. Here I was in the studio recording some demos to send out to different record executives. "Rick, I think I'm done for the day. I'm exhausted. I think I'm just going to go home & write some more."

"Alright, Sara. Sounds good. Another amazing hit awaits in that brilliant brain of yours, I'm sure," Rick said to me. Richard Martis, or Rick as he was known, had been working with me for a couple of years now. He was one of those guys that could hear a hit in the first few notes of the song. He was also the first one to suggest that I start recording my own demos. He really felt as though my voice should be heard.

I chuckled as I gathered my things. "Thanks, Rick. It's been a pleasure, as always. I will give you a call tomorrow."

"Have a safe drive home," I heard him say as I walked out the doors of the studio where they'd been working. I threw my laptop bag & purse in the back seat of my car & made my way home. It had been a long, yet productive day.

***

It was a short 20 minute drive back to the subdivision that I call home. I love my cozy 2 story brick home. It is everything I've ever dreamed of owning when I was younger. It has a beautiful wrap around porch that I spend many nights out on writing. I looked up and noticed that a couple of doors down there was a moving van parked out front. "Hmm, I guess they finally sold that house," I said to no one in particular. The house had been on the market for months. It was a beautiful house, but definitely too big for just one person to live in. I turned off the engine & gathered my things & headed into the house.

I walked though the front door & sat my things down on the foyer table. I hit the button on my answering machine. I had two messages; one was from my Mom & the second from my best friend, Kelly. "I'll call them back later," I said out loud. I had been going over some lyrics in my head & I really just wanted to get pen to paper. I grabbed my notebooks & headed out onto the front porch. I took a seat in my favorite chair & looked around. I couldn't help but notice the gentleman that was still moving boxes from the van to the house down the street. I couldn't really make out what he looked like, but curiousity had gotten the best of me I found myself sitting there, staring. There seemed to be something about this man that intrigued me, but what? I hadn't a clue. I shrugged off the thoughts running through my head & began to write furiously in my notebook & within a few minutes I had written an entire verse & chorus. When I looked back up from my work, the man next door had disappeared into his new home. I really didn't know what it was about him that struck curiousity in me, but I felt like I wanted to find out. I wanted to get to know the man next door.

***

The next morning I awoke at my normal time & prepared myself for my morning run. Little did I know today would change my life forever. I put my earphones on & went about my business. I must not of been paying attention to where I was going. Next thing I knew I had ran into someone & had fallen down on the pavement. I looked up & pulled my earphones out. There he was. "Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I was not looking where I was going." He reached his hand out to me.

He chuckled. "It's okay. Here let me help you up." Once I was back on my feet he introduced himself. "Hi, I'm Nick. I just moved in down the street."

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Sara. Sara Thomas."

"Sara Thomas, as in THEE Sara Thomas."

I looked at him. It wasn't often that I was recoginized just by my name. "So you've heard of me?"

"Well yeah, you've written some of the best songs to come out in years. I've admired your work for years."

"Oh yeah? Are you a musician?"

"I've dabbled in the art. I've never really managed to break through though. I moved here from Florida in hopes to get my music heard."

"Do you sing or are you just a songwriter?"

"I do a little of both. The songwriting is new to me." He told me. He was a man after my own heart.

"Well, I'm working on a new song right now if you'd like to give me a hand."

"Really? I'd love that." Was I a crazy person? I had only just met this guy & already I was inviting him over for a songwriting session.

"How about this evening?"

He smiled. That smile, wow. "Sounds great. I'll come by around 7?"

I nodded. "Yeah, sounds great." With that, I turned and headed back to my house. I had officially gone insane & my morning run was no longer a top priority. I needed to figure out these thoughts that were running through my head. I grabbed my phone & quickly dialed my best friend's number.

"Sara! It's about time you called back, girlie!" Kelly said.

I laughed. "Hey Kel. Sorry, I was exhausted last night. So uhm, I actually need some advice."

"Need some assistance on a song?" Kelly was a fellow songwriter. We had written together several times. She had decided to record her own album though, & was currently going through that process.

I sighed. "Well, not exactly. It's actually about a guy."

"A guy? Sara Nicole, are you telling me you've FINALLY found someone that meets your high standards?"

I laughed. "Kelly, this is serious. I've only spoken to him once & he's turned my brain to mush. And get this, he's an aspiring songwriter. Not too mention he's absolutely gorgeous."

Kelly started laughing at me. "So Little Miss Sara Thomas has a crush...."

"Oh shush, it's not a crush. He's coming over later to work on that song I have been stuck on."

"Great! I think this is just what you need, Sara. In all seriousness, you're 25 years old. It's time you actually take a chance with someone instead of just writing songs about it."

I rolled my eyes, even though I knew she couldn't see me. I've never been one to date. I'd dated around, but it always ended awkwardly at my front door. "Let's not jump to conclusions here, Kel. I just need to know that I can count on you for moral support because honestly no one has ever affected me this way upon first meeting them before. I'm absolutely clueless as to why."

"I promise, I'll be supportive. Call me later after he leaves & give me all the details."

"Okay, Kel. Talk to ya later."

"Bye Sara." I hung up the phone & sat it down on the coffee table. I collapsed on the couch & sighed. What had I gotten myself into?

Chapter End Notes:

I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks! Follow me on Twitter: @MimiMarie84