- Text Size +

Chapter 12

(Sara)

The first month apart from Nick went quickly. We talked pretty much every day, even though he was busy with shows & I was busy promoting my debut album that was set to be released in just a few weeks. Today was no different than yesterday, I was sitting in a hotel room in NYC waiting for it to be time to head out for that day's list of promo stops. I was a country music artist in my heart, but my first single had become an overnight cross over hit. I have no doubt that my budding relationship with a certain Backstreet Boy had helped with that accomplishment. We'd chosen "American Honey" as my first single, we felt it told the story of who I was & where I came from; and with Nick's amazing background vocals it had turned out so great.

I had been assigned a publicist to accompany me on this promo tour. Her name was Maggie & honestly she was a godsend. I was sitting in my hotel room, messing around on my laptop when I heard her knock on my door. I got up & made my way to the door letting her in. "Hey Maggie. You're a little early, aren't ya?"

She smiled, it wasn't a sincere smile. I knew something was up. "Well, actually, I have something I need to go over with you. You're actually in the tabloids this morning."

I looked at her with a confused expression. She made her way over to the sitting area & sat her laptop up on the table next to mine. "Why? I've done nothing."

She shook her head. "It's not exactly you, It's Nick. Some pictures were released...."

I sat next to her. "What kind of pictures?" I could feel my heart racing.

She typed something on her computer & turned it to face me. I instantly felt sick the moment my eyes met the screen. In front of me were pictures of my boyfriend looking all comfy-cozy with some unknown blonde. The site had listed that the pictures were just taken a couple days before. The headline simply read: Nick Carter's new fling? We hadn't exactly made our relationship public, but it had been rumored. "People are talking, Sara. Are you okay?"

I nodded & wiped a few stray tears away. "I just...I can't believe he'd do this to me." I shut the lid of the laptop & pushed it towards her.

"I'm really here more as a friend, Sara. Is there anything I can do for you?" Maggie had become one of my closest friends over the past month, but that's to be expected when you spend so much time with someone.

I shook my head. "No. I just....I need to talk to Nick. I need to figure this out." I told her.

She nodded. "Well, let me know if you need anything. I'll see you in a little while for the show."

I nodded as she walked to the door & exited the room. I grabbed my cell phone & dialed Nick's number. I couldn't remember what city he was in tonight, or if he was already on stage. At this point I really didn't care, I needed to talk to him and I needed to talk to him now. I listened patiently as it continued to ring. Finally his voicemail picked up. I sighed. "You've reached Nick. Leave one & I'll think about calling ya back."

I heard the beep. "Nick...hey...It's Sara. Uhm, I guess you're busy or on stage or something, but I really need to talk to you. Can you call me back please? I'll be on stage in about an hour, but we need to talk tonight. Ok....Bye." I ended the call & sat my phone down on the nightstand next to my bed. That's when I lost all control of my emotions. I collapsed backward onto the bed and cried.

****

(Nick)

I looked at the called ID on my cell phone & sighed; sliding it back into my pocket. It was Sara. I knew why she was calling. I'd received a phone call from my PR this morning about some photos that had surfaced of me & an old friend of mine. We'd met up for lunch a couple of days ago before I had to head out to rehearsals. I'd first met Sunny back during our black & blue days. She'd been a dancer for us, & we'd become really good friends. We'd never hooked up, not even once. In fact, Sunny was happily married, but Sara wouldn't know that.

Long story short, the paparazzi had decided to try & stir up some shit, as they normally do. The pictures had been released & I knew without a doubt that's why Sara was calling me. I knew she'd probably thought the absolute worst when she saw them too. I could only imagine how angry she must be, but I didn't do anything. We went to lunch, that was it.

I knew I needed to prove myself to Sara after this whole ordeal. I had the next couple of days off so I decided at that moment I would fly out to her show & surprise her. Now I just needed some assistance to make this happen. I quickly pulled out my phone & dialed Rick's phone number. He'd surely be able to help.

***

"This is Rick Mastin, how may I help you?"

"Rick? It's Nick...Nick Carter."

"Oh Nick!" He exclaimed. "What can I do for you?"

"Well, actually, I want to surprise Sara at her next show. I've got a couple of days off & I thought about flying out. I just really don't want her to find out about it."

He chuckled. "I imagine she'd love that. Well, tell me what I can do to help." I went through the entire plan & found out that she'd still be in NYC that night. Everything was set. I got off the phone & booked my plane ticket. Then it was time for me to head down to the venue for the show. Sara would be so surprised. I just hoped that the pictures hadn't messed things up. I'd call her after my show & tell her I was too tired to talk. Then tomorrow night I'd surprise her & it would be a night she would never forget. Oh yes, this was going to be good.

***

"It's about time you called back." She said. I could tell she was pissed off. I wasn't surprised in the least.

"I had the show & VIP, Sara. Sorry."

"Well, you should be...."

"Sara...I..."

"You what? Let me guess, you're sorry about cheating on me?" She said. I sighed & closed my eyes.

"Cheating on you? I'm not cheating on you. I love you, why the fuck would I cheat on you?"

"I saw the pictures."

I took a deep breath. "Sara, honey, it's not at all what you think."

"Oh really? Then tell me, what is it?"

"Her name is Sunny. She & I used to work together. She was a dancer on a past tour. We just met up for lunch to catch up."

"Oh, so a date?"

I rolled my eyes, knowing she couldn't see me. "Sara, please."

"Sorry. Go on."

"She & I are just friends. We hadn't seen each other in ages. She happily married, Sara, and I told her all about you."

"You expect me to believe that?"

"Well, it's the truth. Look, I'm really tired, so I'm going to bed. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

She sighed loudly. "Yeah, whatever." With that I heard the dial tone. Yeah, she was pissed. I just hoped that what I had planned for tomorrow would fix this. I laid my phone down on the nightstand & collapsed on the bed. Sleep soon took over.

***

Chapter End Notes:

Follow Me: @MimiMarie84