- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So sorry for the delay! Life has been absolutely crazy the past few months! I'm trying to get back into this! :) 

Chapter 13
-Sara's POV-

My conversation with Nick last night left a lot to be desired. I just prayed he was telling me the truth, but his reputation still plagued the back of my mind. I was still in New York tonight, getting ready for my second show there. I was sitting in my hotel room, checking in with my fans on Twitter & Facebook, when there was a knock on my door. I sighed & closed my laptop. I got up & went to answer it. I was shocked to see a delivery man standing there holding the most beautiful bouquet of red roses. "Ms. Thomas?"

"Yes, that's me." He held the bouquet out to me.

"These are for you." I took them from him & tipped him. He then turned & headed back down the hallway. I shut the door to my hotel room & walked over to the table & sat the bouquet down. I quickly pulled the card out to read it.

Sara, I know you're mad at me right now, but I promise you, you're the only one for me. I love you. -Nick

I sighed to myself. I grabbed my cell phone & dialed his number; sighing again when he didn't answer. "Nick...it's Sara...I just got the flowers. Thank you. Call me back soon. Okay? Bye."

****

"Hey Sara, you ready for the show tonight?" Maggie asked me, backstage about 30 minutes before I was set to go on. I still hadn't heard back from Nick & it honestly was beginning to worry me. I just had to try to put that in the back of my mind.

I smiled. "As always."

"I'm sure you'll be great!" Maggie said. "We've changed the set list slightly for tonight, if that's okay? People have been tweeting & emailing asking to hear your duet with Nick live, so we put it in there."

I looked at her. "But it's a duet - Nick's not here. It won't sound the same."

"We've got him on a recording, so it'll be like he's here. We're just giving the fans what they want, Sara. It'll pay off in the end, trust me."

I sighed. It just sounded so crazy to sing such a meaningful song with a recording of a person that I so badly wanted to see right now. "Ok. I better go get set to go on, I'll see you after the show."

"Knock 'em dead, girl."

****

-Nick's POV-

I stood backstage, hidden, listening to Sara's set. She still had no idea I was here, or that I was going to be joining her onstage during our duet. I could just picture the look on her face when she realized there was no track & it was actually me there, in the flesh. I just hoped that it earned me some serious points with her, because I'm sure after avoiding her calls all day that I had moved myself even further into the doghouse.

"Nick, your song is up next, you ready man?" Rick asked me, patting me on the shoulder.

"As I'll ever be. I just hope she doesn't kick my ass." I nervously laughed.

He chuckled. "I'm sure things will go just fine." I heard her begin to talk to the audience & I knew that was my cue. "You're up. Good luck."

I laughed, "Thanks, Rick. For setting all this up." He just nodded & I stood there waiting for the best moment to walk out on stage.

"Are you having a good time tonight, New York?" I heard Sara ask the crowd. They screamed in response. She giggled. "I'll take that as a yes. Now, I know you all have been wanting to hear this next song live for a while now & unfortunately, Nick couldn't be here with me to perform it tonight, so I hope this will do. This is 'When You Got A Good Thing'....Enjoy...." The music started up & I took a deep breath.

"Here goes nothing," I said to myself. We had decided that since my verse was first that I'd just sing from backstage, so she'd still think it was just a recording & once the chorus kicked in I'd join her onstage.

Everybody keeps telling me I'm such a lucky man
Lookin' at you standing there, I know I am.
Barefoot beauty with eyes that blue,
Sunshine sure looks good on you, I swear.


Oh, I can't believe I finally found ya baby.
Happy ever after, after all this time.
Oh, there's gonna be some up and downs,
but with you to wrap my arms around I'm fine

It worked out perfectly that her back was turned to me when she went to start the chorus, that she didn't see me when I started out onto the stage, but the fans quickly erupted when the saw me. Sara turned & stopped singing for the first couple lines of the chorus. I'm pretty sure she was in disbelief that I was actually there standing in front of her. I slowly crossed the stage to her, singing the chorus solo until she regained composure & joined me a couple lines in; tears threatening to pour out of her eyes.

So baby, Hold on tight.
And don't let go!
Hold on to the love we're makin',
'Cause baby when the ground starts shakin'
you gotta know, when you got a good thing.


I took her hand as I sang my next lines.

You know you keep bringin' out the best in me,
And I need you now, even more than the air I breathe.


I thought her face was going to crack from the huge smile she had plastered on her face.

You can make me laugh when I want to cry.
This will last forever, I just know.


I know...


So baby, Hold on tight.
And don't let go!
Hold on to the love we're makin',
'Cause baby when the ground starts shakin'
you gotta know, when you got a good thing.

We got a good thing, baby!
Whoa!

So Hold on tight.
Baby, don't let go!
Hold on to the love we're makin',
'Cause baby when the ground starts shakin'
you gotta know, When you got a good thing....


We finished the song & the crowd went crazy. Sara just looked at me & threw her arms around me, as she started to cry what were no doubt happy tears.

"Are you surprised to see me, Miss Sara Thomas?" I asked her, into the microphone.

"You sure got me good, Mr. Carter. I'm sure all of my friends here are glad you decided to show up!" The crowd cheered. "And now I have to figure out how to regain some composure to finish this show."

I just laughed. "I have no doubt you'll do just fine. Won't she, fans?" They cheered again. "I better get to steppin', but you all enjoy the rest of Sara's show!" I leaned down & quickly kissed her before running off the side of the stage to wait for her to finish. It was no doubt going to be an amazing night ahead. I was sure of it.

****

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Twitter: @MimiMarie84