- Text Size +

I spent a majority of the day tweaking a song I had been writing for the past couple of weeks. That & I was still thinking about my encounter earlier. I only had about a half an hour before Nick was going to be over. Nick... I didn't even know his last name & I'd already invited him over. I really had lost my mind. He could be some psychotic murderer for all I knew. Nah, he was way too gorgeous to be like that. Hmmm, maybe Kelly was right. Maybe I do have a crush on him. That just sounds so incredibly childish to say. I won't lie though, I am looking forward to getting to know him better. And no, not that way.

***

It was about 7:08 when I heard a gentle knock on my front door. Yes, I had been watching the clock. I took my time getting to the door to answer because quite frankly I didn't want to seem too eager, even though my heart felt like it was going to pound right out of my chest. I'd made sure not too get to dressed up, considering we were just going to be working at my home studio. I'd thrown on a pair of low-cut jeans & a pink babydoll t-shirt. I made my way to the door to let Nick in. "Hi." I said as I opened the door. "Welcome to my humble abode."

He laughed; his laugh was absolutely contagious, as was that damn smile of his. "Why thank you. It's good to see you again, and not having to pick you up off the pavement."

I could feel my cheeks flushing; I could only hope he wouldn't notice. "Yeah, what a great first impression right? Clumsy, little Tennessee girl."

There was that smile again. "You definitely made it so I couldn't get you out of my mind all day, that's for sure. Now, you said you wanted to work on a song together?"

I had nearly forgotten the entire reason for inviting him over. "Oh yeah, I've got everything set up in the studio downstairs, you can head on down. I'm just going to grab us a couple bottles of water. The door to the basement is right at the end of that hallway there." I pointed him the right direction & made my way to the kitchen to grab the water. "Get it together, Sara. You're acting like a lovestruck teenager." I said outloud to myself. With a sigh I grabbed the waters from the refrigerator & headed downstairs myself.

Nick, whom I still didn't know his last name, had already made himself comfortable on one of the couches & was looking through a notebook he'd brought. I'm sure it held some of his work and such. He looked up from it when he heard me walk in. "This is a great set-up you've got here."

I sat the waters down on the table. "Thanks, I worked hard to get to this point."

"I can believe that."

I took a seat on the couch next to him & pulled out my notebook. I opened it to the latest song, I'd been writing. "So this is what I have so far, I just started this one yesterday. I just am feeling it should be more of a duet. A guy & a girl. Can you give me your opinion?"

He took the notebook from my hand & read over the lyrics I'd written. "These lyrics are great. Can I hear you sing them?"

I smiled. "I suppose, but I don't sing for just anyone, ya know?" I gave him a little wink & got up to grab my guitar. "Now remember, I wrote this to be a duet. So this first verse would be the guy's verse, then the girl's." I sat back down & began to play & sing the words.

"Everybody keeps telling me I'm such a lucky man
Lookin at you standin there I know I am
Barefooted beauty with eyes that blue
The sunshine sure looks good on you
I swear

Oh I can't believe I finally found you baby
Happy ever after, after all this time
Oh there's gonna be some ups and downs
but with you to wrap my arms around
I'm fine

So baby, hold on tight
Don't let go
Hold onto the love we're making
Cause baby when the ground starts shakin
You gotta know when you've got a good thing"

I finished the end of the chorus & looked up at him. He had a look of awe on his face. "Sara, that is amazing. You have an incredible voice."

There came that blush on my cheeks again. Sure, I had been told many times that I had an amazing talent, but for some reason hearing it from him made me feel amazing. "Well, thank you Nick. I appreciate that."

"Sara, you need to record this song when you're finished writing it. It suits your voice so well."

"I don't know, Nick. I'm more of a songwriter, not a singer. Besides, who would record it with me?"

"Me?"

"You? Really?"

"Yeah. I mean, not too sound too conceited, I'm pretty good."

I smirked. "Oh yeah?" He nodded. "Lemme hear it then. I'll play, you sing."

He smiled. "Deal."

***

The next few hours we sat there writing & singing together. He wasn't lying when he said he was good. He was actually pretty amazing. How he hadn't really caught his big break, as he'd said, was beyond me. He was better than most of these so called "singers" out there today. It was well past midnight when we decided to call it a night.

"I had a really great time tonight, Sara. Think about what I said though, I'd be happy to record your song with you once you finish it." He told me as we stood on my front porch.

I smiled. "I'll consider it. Don't be a stranger now, okay?"

"I wouldn't dream of it. You've got my number, call me anytime."

"Goodnight, Nick."

"Night Sara." With that he made his way home. I walked back inside my house, shutting the door & leaning up against it. I let out a frustrated sigh. I still didn't know the guy's last name, but tonight I'd fallen for him just a little bit more. Suddenly, Kelly's words from earlier were ringing through my mind. Had I really finally met someone that met my standards? I'd never really wanted to let anyone in before, but for him, I just might.

Chapter End Notes:

As always feedback is appreciated. Follow me on Twitter: @MimiMarie84