- Text Size +

Chapter Three

"So...." Kelly said in a drawn out tone. "How was last night? Did you two make some magic?" Kelly & I had decided to meet up at a coffee shop downtown that morning. No doubt because she wanted to tease me & find out all the not so juicy details of my songwriting rendevous with Nick the night before.

"He wants to record my song with me. You know, the duet I've been working on the past couple of days." I took a sip of my latte.

"And that's bad because....."

I sighed. "Kel, I'm not a singer. I'm a songwriter, that's what I was born to do. I just can't picture myself being in the spotlight like that."

She sat up a little straighter. "Look, I'm going to give you some advice that someone gave me a while back before I decided to take the plunge & record. You only live once, you have to live life to it's fullest & leave no stone unturned. I think that you'd be crazy not to just go for it. So you record an album; the worst thing that could happen would you wouldn't get picked up by anyone. Then you just go back to your life of songwriting & late night jam sessions with your new neighbor." She gave me a little wink.

I could feel the smile spreading across my face. "You do have a way with words, don't ya Kel?" I laughed.

"Of course, I do. So what do ya say? Are you going to do it?"

I sat there for a second. "He does have a pretty great voice & we do sound really good together."

"Well, then I think you have your answer."

I shook my head. "I can't believe I'm going to do this. I've never been this spontaneous in my entire life."

"I'm very proud of you."

"Now I just have to finish out the lyrics to the song, guess I'll be working on that tonight."

"I think I can help you with that." I heard a voice from behind me say. I turned around to find Nick standing there.

"Uhm, hi. I didn't see you come in."

"I'm stealthy like that," he chuckled. He motioned towards the empty seat at our table. "Mind if I join you ladies?"

"No, no...absolutely not. Have a seat. Kelly, this is Nick. Nick, this is my best friend & fellow songwriter, Kelly Nye."

He held out his hand to her. "It's a pleasure."

She shook his hand. "Likewise. So you're the infamous Nick that my friend here can't stop talking about."

He looked at me & grinned. "Oh yeah, good things, I hope."

I knew by now I was probably a bright shade of red. "Oh of course. We were just talking about how Sara here is excited to be recording her duet with you."

My eyes widened as his smile grew bigger. "Oh yeah? Well, that's just the best news I've heard all day."

"Yeah, well, Kelly can be very convincing." I said.

"So Nick, is it just 'Nick' or do you have a last name?" Kelly bluntly asked, causing me to nearly spit out the drink I had just taken.

He laughed. "Carter. My last name is Carter."

"Nick Carter. Sounds vaguely familiar," Kelly spoke. I just looked at her with a confused expression.

"Well ladies, it's been fun, but I have some errands to run today." He stood up to leave before turning to me. "Sara, I'm honored that you're going to record with me. Give me a call & we'll set up a studio date. I have a feeling this is going to be life changing for the both of us."

"Thanks, Nick. I sure will." And with that he was gone. It was odd that he picked that particular moment to make his exit, but I shrugged it off. After all, I'd never heard of Nick Carter. It was just another name to me.

"He seems very nice, Sara. You picked a good one."

"I didn't pick anyone. We're just friends - collegues." I started to gather my things. "I have to go to the studio to meet up with Rick & give him then news. Would you like to tag along?"

She gathered her things as well. "No, I have a meeting myself to get to, but I'll call you later tonight." We said our goodbyes & went on about our day. I suddenly felt very relaxed & happy about my decision to record with Nick. Maybe taking it to the next level wouldn't be the worst thing in the world; recording my music, that is.

***

I walked into the downtown studio that I typically always worked in with Rick, hoping that he'd be in. Sure enough, I saw him leaning over the mixing table when I walked in. "Hey Rick."

He turned and looked at me. "Sara! What a great surprise. I wasn't planning to see you in here until next week or so." He got up & came over to give me a hug.

"Yeah, I kind of need to talk to you about something." I sat my purse down on the table & took a seat on the couch. He sat down next to me.

"What's up, Miss Sara?" He looked at me with concern.

I took a deep breath. "Well, I think I've decided to record one of my songs."

"You record your songs all the time for the demos, Sara."

I shook my head. "No, I mean, like actually record it & try to release it as my own."

"Oh really? That's great news, Sara. What made you finally decide this? You know I've been telling you to do it since the first day I heard you sing."

"Well, this guy moved in a couple doors over from me & he's an aspiring songwriter. We had a little writing session at my place last night & well, he convinced me. I want to do it as a duet with him."

He nodded his head. "Is this guy worthy of singing with the amazingly, talented Sara Thomas?"

I smiled & nodded. "Yeah, I really think so." In my head I meant that in more ways than one.

"Well then, when would you like to come in? Do you have the song finished?"

"No, not quite yet. I've got another verse to write, then it'll be complete."

"Well, I'll tell you what...how about you run on home & work on that song, then give me a call when you're ready to come in. I've got a few sessions set up with this group this week, but after that I'm open."

I stood up, as did he. "Okay, Rick. Thank you so much for being supportive."

He gave me another hug. "Honey, I'm going to be your biggest fan. You know that."

I smiled, grabbed my purse & was on my way.

***

Chapter End Notes:

Follow me on Twitter: @MimiMarie84