- Text Size +

Chapter Four

(Told from Nick's POV)

The past couple of days had been some of the strangest I'd ever experienced. I'd just purchased a new home in Nashville, where I'd lived once before & we were now recording songs for our next album, and I just so happened to move in a couple houses over from the amazing songwriter, Sara Thomas. To say that I thought it was fate would just be crazy, considering after all I'd been through I didn't believe in it. I will say that something told me to buy that house & I'm glad that I did. Sara & I had spent some time together, jamming in her home studio. It may sound strange, but I really don't think she knows who I am; that or she's just really good at pretending. Either way, she doesn't treat me like I'm anything different than a normal human being & I kind of like that. Oh, and have I mentioned she's pretty damn hot? Oh, I haven't? It must of slipped my mind. That girl is gorgeous! She's been working on this song, it's a duet; and guess who has volunteered to be the male vocal in that song? Yep, you guessed it: Me. It's going to be off the charts amazing to record with her, she's got the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. That's saying a lot.

***

I pulled up the studio, quickly seeing Brian & AJ standing outside talking. I parked my car & walked up to them. "Hey guys, D not here yet?" They both shook their heads. "You mean, we all actually beat him here? I'm shocked."

"I know! There's a first time for everything, I guess." Brian exclaimed with a laugh.

"I guess we can head on in & get started without him," I suggested.

AJ nodded. "Yeah, I talked to him a few minutes ago & he said he should be here in like 20 minutes. It shouldn't be much longer anyway."

The three of us headed into the studio & were greeted by a very attractive young blonde that was sitting at the front desk. "Hello, we've got an appointment with Mr. Richard Martis." Brian told the girl. She began typing away on her computer.

"Oh yes, I see it here. Let me just go make sure he's ready for you guys," the blonde said & hurriedly made her way down the hallway. She couldn't of been more than 5'4" & she probably weighed 95 pounds. I glanced over at AJ & could practically see the drool running down his chin.

"She's probably way to young for you, J." I laughed. I noticed Blondie approaching us.

"Shut up, Carter. Age is just a number."

I shook my head & rolled my eyes. "Mr. Martis is ready for you guys, follow me." She lead us down the hallway & opened the last door on the left. There was a pepper haired gentleman sitting at the sound board. I figured it must have been Mr. Martis. He stood & turned to face us when we walked into the room.

"Thank you, Ellie. Please hold my calls for the next couple hours," he told her. She nodded & left the room. "Now, you guys must be the Backstreet Boys."

"Yeah, well at least three of them. We're still waiting on Howie, he got stuck in traffic," Brian told him.

"Well, that's fine, we'll just get started with the rest of you guys."

We went to work with Rick, as he told us to call him, & Howie had arrived about 15 minutes after we did. After spending about 3 1/2 hours in the box I was so ready to go home, or well maybe I was just ready to see her. She had no doubt struck a chord with me & I found myself wanting to spend time with her. The only problem was I hadn't told her who I was yet. She didn't seem to know & I was kind of nervous that when she did find out that she'd be angry I didn't tell her. I had joined her & another songwriter for coffee a couple days ago and I really think that her friend had recognized me, especially after I told her my name. I could only hope that Sara wouldn't be mad. This was all so new and exciting, I just didn't want to screw up something that could turn into the greatest thing in my life.

Finally, at 8:15 that evening, 6 hours & 15 minutes after we had arrived at the studio, we wrapped for the day. I wanted nothing more than to just go see her, but I knew she was probably hard at work in her studio working on our song. I didn't want to interrupt her so I got in my car & headed home. I checked my phone & smiled when I saw a text message from her.

Hi Nick. Just wanted you to know that I finished the song & I've set up a studio time for next week. I'm calling it an early night, but maybe we can get together tomorow. Goodnight.

Yes, this was the start of something amazing.

***

The next morning I was due back in the studio with the guys at 8 am. I forced myself to roll out of bed with just enough time for a quick 10 minute shower & then I was on my way. I arrived at the studio at 7:59 am. I rushed in & stopped in my tracks when I saw Sara standing there talking to Ellie at the receptionist desk. "Shit," I muttered quietly. I hadn't wanted her to find out who I was yet. I wanted to just be 'Nick' for a little while longer, but when I noticed Ellie looking at me I knew this was it.

"Nick, hi. Welcome back." Ellie said. At the sound of the name 'Nick' Sara turned around, her mouth slightly open.

"Nick? What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Uh..." I said. Suddenly, I had forgotten how to talk. I felt like a complete idiot.

That's when Ellie spoke up. "Nick is here recording with Rick."

"But...Nick, can I speak to you in private please?" Sara said. I just nodded & followed her outside to the front of the studio. "What's going on? You're recording? I don't understand."

"Sara, I didn't want you to find out like this. I promise I was going to tell you. I was just enjoying the fact that for once someone actually didn't know who I was." I sighed.

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

"Have you heard of a group called the Backstreet Boys?"

"I've heard of them, sure. I couldn't tell you which one was which though."

"Well, I'm one fourth of that group."

She stood there for a second, staring at me like I had two heads; no doubt trying to put two & two together. "But you said you tried the singing thing & never really got your big break. From what I can tell the Backstreet Boys are a pretty huge group. Why on earth would you lie to me about that?" She was pacing. I'm guessing that's something she did when she was upset. She didn't give me a chance to answer before she stopped pacing & started rambling again. "We barely know each other as it is, what difference would it of made if you told me? Do you think it would of made me turn away from you? I work with celebrities on a daily basis, Nick. It doesn't bother me. I wouldn't of treated you any differently."

I sat down on a bench that was nearby. "Sara, I'm sorry. Please, you have to just understand what it's like to finally meet someone that wanted to talk to me because of me, not because I am a member of one of the biggest selling music groups in history." She took a seat next to me. "Look, I really like you. I think you're great & I really am looking forward to working with you. Please don't let my stupidity screw that up." Brian took that moment to poke his head outside.

"Yo, Carter. We need you in here." He said.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be right there." I replied . He nodded, seeing me standing there talking to Sara. "Can we please talk later, Sara? I could come by after I'm done here."

She nodded. "Yeah. Just text me when you're finished & we'll meet up."

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. "Thank you, Sara." We both stood up & I gave her a hug. "I'm really sorry I lied to you though."

She chuckled. "Well, I guess you'll just have to make it up to me then." I looked at her.

"I don't think that'll be an issue. I'll talk to you later. Bye Sara."

"Bye Nick. Have a good session." With that I turned & headed back inside. It looked like I had dodged a bullet for now. She hadn't taken off running yet, maybe there was more to this than even I knew. Only time would tell.

Chapter End Notes:

Follow me: @MimiMarie84