- Text Size +

Chapter 9

(Told by Nick)

I knew that they hadn't said 'yes' persay, but I knew I could convince them to let Sara open up for us on the tour that summer. I knew that we still had months until the tour, but I was already dreading leaving Sara behind. This way, I could take her with her wherever I went. So I guess you could say I had fallen for this girl. I'd fallen harder for her than any other girl I'd ever dated. Something about her innocence intrigued me. I had always been into the 'bad girls' & media darlings...The fact that Sara really didn't want anything to do with that aspect of things made me want to be around her even more. I hadn't even flinched when the guys referred to her as my 'girlfriend' today. Maybe at age 30 I had finally decided it was time to settle down & maybe Sara was the one. I suppose it's a little too early to decide that, but until then we'll take it a day at a time.

***

I pulled up to Sara's house, noticing all of the lights in the house on. I knew she was home, even though it appeared she'd pulled her car into the garage. I put my car in park, got out & walked up to the door. I knocked anxiously. I couldn't wait to tell her the good news.

I heard her begin to unlatch the locks on the door. She looked stressed as she opened the door, talking hurriedly on the phone, while ushering me in & latching the door back. She took off back to the kitchen, still talking on the phone. I just took a seat on the sofa in her living room while I waited patiently for her to finish up her call.

I sat there for probably a good 15 minutes before she finally joined me. "I am so sorry about that, but I have amazing news!" She told me excitedly as she took a seat next to me. She had a huge smile on her face; she was no doubt happy.

I sat up & turned slightly to face her. "Oh yeah? Me too."

"Really?"

"Yep. So tell me your news..." I told her.

She was practically giddy. "That was Rick on the phone. The record execs loved the 3 songs I recorded today - well, with your help. They want me to do an entire album!"

I couldn't help, but smile. "Sara, that's great news."

"I know! I owe it all to you. I would have never even went for it, if it hadn't been for you wanting to record with me." She leaned in and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Honey, you would've been just as amazing without me, if not more."

She shook her head. "Now, tell me your news."

"How would you feel about being the opening act on our next tour?"

She sat back & looked perplexed. "Really? Me? I'm clearly not a pop act, Nick."

"So? That shouldn't really matter. I'm sure the fans would love you. We could perform our duet during your set, it'll be great." I took her hands in mine, "Come on, what do you say? You'd get to spend time with me..."

"Do you use that puppy dog face on all the ladies?" She said with a smirk.

"Only you, love. Only you." I told her. "So..."

"Nick, your fans would eat me alive & you know that. I don't think it's the best idea," she told me. It was like deja vu. "Who's to say we won't see each other all the time anyway? I could still come to some shows & visit you..."

I leaned back & took a deep breath. "Sara, come on. This would be amazing for your career..."

"Nick.....please. I'm going to be recording my album over the next month or so, then when it's released I'll probably be on my own promo tour. Don't be selfish, okay?"

"I'm not being selfish. There's no crime in me wanting to spend time with my amazing girlfriend."

Her eyes widened. "Girlfriend? We're official now? When did this happen?"

"I...I don't know. It just sounds right, doesn't it?"

She seemed to think about that for a minute. "I'm not so sure I'm ready for an official relationship with a Backstreet Boy. Do you think I can handle it?"

At first I was slightly worried, but then I saw the grin growing across her face. "I think you can handle it just fine." She then leaned in and gave me a kiss. "So will you at least think about tour?"

She nodded. "I'll think about it & discuss it with Rick. He is my manager afterall."

"Fair enough." We both leaned back & I put my arm around her. She leaned her head on my shoulder. It was at that moment that I realized that this was right where I needed to be. Fate had definitely dealt me a good hand this time.

***

(Told by Sara)

Last night had just been, well...weird. First I'd received the phone call from Rick telling me that my life was going to change dramatically because the record executives that he'd had listen to my first 3 tracks had decided they wanted to hear more of what I had to offer. I was going to be recording my very first record. I'd been in the business for years, but never had I had people that wanted to hear me. This was a totally new experience for me. Then on top of that I had Nick who wanted me to be the opening act for the Backstreet Boys next tour. I had told him I'd think about it & discuss it with Rick, which is why I'm at the studio right now actually. Then to top the entire night off, Nick & I became 'official'. I never in my life had imagined that one night would change my entire life so drastically, but that's what happened to me; and I honestly can't say that I'm upset about it. Life was amazing right now.

****

"So Sara, you wanted to see me?" Rick said to me as we sat in his office. He at his desk, me in the chair across from him.

I nodded. "Yes."

"Second thoughts on recording the album?"

I quickly shook my head. "Oh no, I'm very excited about that. I just had someone proposition me last night & I wanted to get your opinion."

He leaned forward against his desk. "You have my full attention, Miss Thomas."

"I was asked to be the opening act for the Backstreet Boys next tour in a few months."

"I see."

"I'm just really not so sure it's a great idea. I mean, I'm country....they're not."

"Is this really about genre? Or is it because of Nick?"

Rick really didn't know me pretty well. He had been like a father figure to me since my own father passed away a couple of years ago. "I think it has to do with Nick."

"Okay. Would you like to elaborate?"

I sighed. "Nick & I are...dating, I guess you could say. I just don't want to be expected to tour with him for 3 or 4 months & then something happen between us. We're still new."

"Then, my dear, that's what you need to tell him. I understand that you two have this great connection & it clearly makes an appearance in the song you two recorded. The chemistry between the both of you is undeniable."

"Thank you, Rick. You always know the right thing to say."

"That's what I'm here for." He said. "Now, let's talk about the album...."

"Okay."

"I would ideally like to get about 15 to 20 songs recorded in the next few weeks to pick from. Do you think you can do that? Would you like to shop through some demos, or are you wanting to write all the songs yourself?"

"I really would like to write the songs myself. I've got quite a collection already started, so i'll look back over some of those."

"Great. It's Friday, so I'll give ya the weekend to get some stuff together & we'll meet back here on Monday; say around 8 am?"

I nodded. "That sounds great." We both stood up & he came around the desk giving me a hug.

"I'm very proud of you, Sara."

"Thanks Rick. That means a lot coming from you."

"I see great things in your future, & I don't just mean with music."

I smiled. "Thank you." I gathered my purse to leave. "I'll see you Monday morning."

****