- Text Size +

Chapter 4


A couple of minutes later we had arrived to my apartment. The car ride home was a bit silent with Nick asking me random questions. There was alot that I needed to say to him. So many questions that were running through my mind but, I didn't think that was the right moment to ask him so I just kept them to myself.

"So, you still live here, huh?"

I turned and smiled at him. Shocked that he even remembers. "Yeah. Still here. It's home. I'm kind of surprised you still remember though."

"Yeah, well... I mean... just because we haven't talked doesn't mean I forgot anything about you."

Speechless. He left me speechless. I was so sure that he had forgotten everything. That he didn't care anymore but, he didn't and that shocked and scared me all at the same time. I had to look away. Every second that I looked at him I knew that I would've leaned over and kiss him.

"I'm sorry. That's probably not what you wanted to hear." He said breaking my thoughts and looking down at his hands.

"No. It's fine. Um... so, I guess I should get going."

"Yeah."

"Thank you Nick. Again. I appreciate it, really." I smiled at him.

"It's fine. No need to thank me." He said, smiling.

Silence. Awkward silence.

Minutes passed before I found my voice again.

"So, do you...would you...you know...like to come in? Maybe just for a drink?"

"Oh. Um, you know, I really should get going. I don't want--"

"Nick, it's just a drink. It's the least I could do for making you drive me home."

"Uh."

I was nervous. why the hell was I so damn nervous? It wasn't like we were going to do anything anyways, right?

'Right Carter. Keep telling yourself that...' I thought to myself. I know that if I go up there, I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes or hands off of her. She was looking so hot tonight with that see through dress. She practically looked NAKED and it wasn't helping me at all. That's probably why I didn't look or even talk to her on the ride here. If I did, I probably would've stopped the car and take her right here or maybe on the hood of the car. Yeah. That's sounded much be-- Stop it Carter! Stop. Self control.

I just couldn't say no to her offer.

"Yeah, sure. No problem."

* * *

"So, here we are. Home sweet home." She laughed, opening the door.

"Wow. It looks so different from the last time I was here." He said while looking around the apartment.

"Yeah, I changed it around. Repainted it. Put up some pictures. The works."

"You did it all by yourself?" He asked. Shocked that she had become so independent after their break up.

"Eh, I had help but, the majority of it was me, myself and I."

"Wow. It's...so...you. Really nice and cozy."

I laughed and then smiled. "Yeah. Well, you know me. I like small and cozy." She said while looking around the apartment.

"Yeah. My apartment is still the same way you left it."

"Oh?"

Second time he's left me speechless. Is this some game that he's trying to play?

"Yeah...I...never got to...changing it again. I just...you know...left it that way. I didn't want to erase the...." He trailed off.

"The what?"

"Nothing. It's nothing."

"Nick."

"It's nothing Em.

She glared at him.

"Uh. Emma. Sorry."

I looked at him for awhile expecting him to tell me but, I knew he was going to tell me. It was all part of the Carter package. Shut down on someone but, then expect that person to open up to you.

"Okay. Well, make sure yourself comfortable. I'll get the drinks. Anything you want?" She asked, heading towards the kitchen.

"Uh. No. Whatever is fine I guess."

"Okay. Wine it is." She called from the kitchen.

Nick got up and slowly made his way to the kitchen. He saw her bending over the kitchen counter looking for something. 'Perfect position. I could take her right then and now...' He thought to himself. 'Snap out of it Carter.'

He cleared his throat to make his presence known. "If I didn't know any better I would think you were trying to get me drunk." He smirked at her.

"Who me? Noooo. I'm a good girl. It's just a friendly drink."

Nick snorted.

"What?" She asked, looking at him confused.

"Huh? Oh, nothing. Just...nothing."

"Oooohkay. So, here's your drink," She handed it to him. "And, here's mine."

"Should we make a toast?"

I laughed. I don't really know why he was acting so nervous around me. I mean, I know we haven't really seen eachother in about 1 year or so but, still. This is Nick Carter we're talking about. Nick Carter...doesn't get nervous around any girl.

"Sure. What should we toast to?" She asked, raising her glass. "Friends?"

"Hmmm. I was thinking more. To chance encounters."

"Hunh. Chance encounters. Has a nice ring to it."

Oh dear god. She's so flirting with me. I can't stop staring at her. She just looks so amazing tonight. She still had that dress on and when she was bent over looking for the wine glasses, I couldn't help but check out her butt. I even noticed that her dress was riding up on her thighs every now and then. God, the way she puts her lips to the glass. I really wish those lips were around my....

"You know, this is the second time I've caught you staring at me again."

"I'm...I'm sorry. I just... it's just that... I really wasn't expecting... you know... to see you tonight and, I just..."

Before he could even finish what he was saying, his phone rang throughout the apartment.

Looking at the caller ID, he groaned. "Sorry, I have to take this."

"Sure. Go ahead. I'm gonna go change out this," she looked down at her dress. "Yeah, I'll be back."

He nodded and saw her walked off. He wasn't sure what was holding him back from not going straight to her room and throwing her down on the bed to have his way with her.

"Hello?"

"Nick? Bro, WHERE the hell are yoooou?"

"I'm at...I'm...busy."

"Busy? Dude, you left us at the Kat..."

"Um, I know. I just...look...I'll just call you tomorrow."

"Okay. Who is she and did you fuck her yet?"

"DUDE. I'm not telling you that."

"Come on Carter! This is your boy. Your best friend. Who is sheeee?"

"Look, it's no one. I'll call you tomorrow when you're...sobered up. BYE."

"NICK?! NIIIIIIIIIIIIICKKKKKKK?!"

"PEACE!"

He closed his phone and sighed. In other situations, he would've told his friend about what flavor of the month he was hooking up with but, this wasn't just some flavor of the month. This was Emma. HIS Emma. He wouldn't disrespect her like that and he wasn't about to start.

"I'm sorry if I'm keeping you from your friends."

Her voice startled me. He looked up. There she was. Hair down, make up. In her favorite PJs. Actually, MY favorite PJs. I wasn't sure if she did this on purpose because I was here but....

She was wearing an oversized shirt that was to her knees.

It was my shirt.

"Um. Uh. No, it's... it's fine. They're drunk and honestly, I didn't really want to get all drunk tonight."

"It's getting a little late." She said while looking at the clock. "I hate that I have work tomorrow but, maybe we could...watch a movie...or something?" She made her way towards the TV and bent over to retrieve the movie that was already in the DVD player. Nick watched her closely.

FUCK!

I can't do this. I really can't do this. She's not playing fair at all. She's tempting me. I know she is. She gets me. She knows what I like and she's doing it right now. I just know that she is. I couldn't sit here any longer. I needed air. I needed....something.

"You know, I think I should just get going since you have work tomorrow and I really should get back to these idiots at the club before they get themselves arrested or something." He said standing up from the couch.

"Oh. Okay. I'll walk you to the door."

"I had a really good time Em."

"Ni--"

"Sorry. Emma. It's a habit, you know that."

She giggled. GOD I fucking love that giggle. I missed it so damn much.

"Yeah, I know. Well, I had a good time too. Thank you again, for the ride even if it was a really quiet one."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I usually have alot of say but, I don't know. I just...yeah but, It's my pleasure." Literally.

"It's okay. Well, have a goodnight and drive safely."

"Jeez. Want to get to rid of me already?"

'Actually, no. I don't. Stupid friends. Always have to ruin everything.' She thought to herself.

"Alright. Well, I'm off. Have a goodnight Emma and sleep well." He slowly turned away and started making his way to his car before he heard Emma calling his name.

"Hey Nick?"

"Yeah?" He asked turning around to face her.

"How about breakfast tomorrow? My place?"

He smiled. It was an offer that he couldn't pass up. He finally realized that he wanted to spend every single minute with Emma.

"Yeah. I'd like that."

"Alright. See you soon then?"

He smiled. "See you soon then."