- Text Size +

AJ yawned so big that his eyes watered and I smiled across the fire at him, “If you’re ready to go to bed, AJ you can go. You’re not required to see the fire all the way through…”

“Yeah, I love you guys but I’m drunk and can’t keep my eyes open anymore…” Christian said and stood up stretching.

“Me too…” my mom said and stood up.

Kevin laughed and looked at me, “Way to clear the room, Kel…”

I stuck my tongue out at him and smiled looking at the rest of the group, “Okay, Mama has already called the room with the big bed. Which leaves the room with the twin beds to the boys. Although AJ, you should know that Chris snores like a mad man when he’s been drinking. You might actually be better off on the couch.”

Christian nodded, “It’s true… I’m a drunken snorer but Kel has the most comfortable couch in the world.”

“It’s true, it’s like sleeping in a bed…” Kevin added with a smile.

“Dude…” AJ said with another yawn. “If I can sleep on a moving tour bus I can sleep anywhere.”

Kevin laughed, “He once fell asleep in the middle of a press conference…”

AJ laughed and flipped Kevin off which only made Kevin laugh harder, “Anyway… I’ll take the couch.”

“Great…” I said and stood up. “I’ll get you blankets and stuff.” I looked at Kevin, “You going to pass out on me too?”

“I grew up on a campground… I’m a natural at waiting out a fire.”

He was so cute I could barely stand it. “Well then I’ll be back in a few… keep things under control out here, Heartthrob.”

“Yes, ma’am…”

My mom kissed Kevin on the cheek and wished him good night then we walked into the house. I followed Christian into his bedroom to get bedding for AJ. Christian began changing into his pajamas and then stopped and looked at me, “So hey… congrats.”

“What?”

“Congrats…” he said with a big grin while holding his tee shirt in his hands.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” I asked and laughed at the look on his face.

“Fucking…” he laughed and finally put his shirt on. “As in, you get to fuck Kevin now that you know you’re not his mistress…”

I cracked up and threw a pillow at him, “Smart ass…”

He walked around the bed to hug me, “You know you love me. Seriously though, I’m glad he’s not married and you finally know.”

I grinned as I hugged him back, “Thanks, babe…”

“Too bad you’re having a family sleepover tonight, huh?” he laughed.

“Yeah well… I can’t say I’m unhappy you all close to go to bed at the same time…” I giggled and wiggled my eyebrows at him.

He laughed, “You whore…” He kissed my cheek and then patted my ass, “Have fun!”

“Oh I plan on it…” I said with a grin and left him to his pajamas.

I delivered AJ’s bedding to him, grabbed sweatshirts for both Kevin and I to put on, and gave my mom and Vinnie a big squeeze before heading back outside to Kevin. He smiled up at me from his seat as he poked the wood in the fire with a stick and I melted a little. I loved his smile. “Hey, Camper…”

“Hey, Heartthrob…” I said with my own smile and tossed his sweatshirt to him. “The kids are all in bed. Wanna make out?”

He laughed and put his fire poker down and reached out to pull me down onto the seat with him, “Hell yeah…” He leaned in toward me and planted a thorough kiss on me that left me trembling and out of breath. He then rested his forehead against mine and whispered, “I’ve wanted to do that all day…”

I smiled then wrapped my arms around him, “That was nice…” I snuggled up to him and put my head against his chest looking at the fire. He circled his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. “Have I mentioned that you’re a fantastic cuddler?”

He laughed, “I don’t think cuddler is a word.”

“Sure it is, it’s Kel-speak.”

“Oh…” he said laughing. “Well in that case, no… I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned it.”

“You are…” I said with a contented sigh. “And you’re cute too…” We both laughed and I picked my head up to look at him. “Today was a great day. I’m so glad you got to be a part of it. And AJ too…”

“Same here…” he said and nodded. “I love your mom and dinner was amazing. Plus the satellite launch and the fire…”

“Christian singing bad off key versions of Backstreet songs…” I added with a giggle.

Kevin laughed, “That too…”

“The marshmallow that got stuck in AJ’s hair…”

Kevin laughed harder, “He’ll never live that one down…”

I smiled and put my hand on Kevin’s cheek looking into those amazing green eyes of his, “He’s really, really sweet. I’m glad he showed up and I got to meet him. I like seeing you around him, you’re different with him.”

“I am?”

“Yeah…” I nodded. “Just a touch… You’ve got that big brother vibe around him and you’re a little goofier around him too. It’s very cute.”

“I’m proud of him… he’s come a really long way over the years. Both professionally and personally. He’s been sober for six years now and he’s so much better off.”

“That’s cool… I was worried at first that it might bother him if we were all drinking wine but he told me that he was okay with it and he really seemed like he was.”

“Oh he would have told you if he wasn’t… he has his days when he can’t be around it, but a lot of the time now he’s okay.”

“I love the relationship you two have… it feels a lot like what my brother and I had.”

Kevin kissed me on the lips gently then pulled back, “You’re going to have to tell me more about him sometime…”

I nodded, “I will… When we were walking back here tonight after the launch I realized talking to AJ that he really reminds me of Sean. In a total rock star sort of way…” I smiled and Kevin in turn smiled watching me. “Did you really grow up on a campground?”

He nodded, “Yeah… my parents ran a camp for a lot of my childhood.”

“That’s cool… I always loved camp.”

“It got annoying at times but I did love it. The smell of bug spray and a campfire always takes me back to good times…” he said and chuckled.

“I feel like I’ve learned so many things about you today…”

“Hell the palm reading alone was quite a lesson I’m sure…”

I laughed, “She’s amazing isn’t she?”

“Spooky, but in a very cool way. Watching AJ flip out was hilarious. Your mom was dead on when she talked about my marriage though, it was weird.”

“I don’t know how she does it. I mean, I pick up on things here and there sometimes and my intuition is usually pretty spot on, but I can’t hold someone’s hand and just get a whole image like she does. I hope she didn’t embarrass you by talking about your ex.”

He shook his head, “Not at all… Plus everything she said was the truth. Kristin really did a number on me. She lied to me about something that was really important to me and she knew how bad it would hurt me but she kept doing it anyway.” There was still anger and pain in his voice when he spoke about her. I wanted to make that pain go away. “I know I haven’t really talked about it all with you… I guess I just sort of wanted to ignore it.”

“That makes sense…” I said and nodded. I took his hands in mine and smiled looking down at them, “I have to admit though, it was driving me nuts not knowing if you were separated or divorced or what…” I laughed and looked at him timidly.

“You could have asked…” he said grinning at me.

“Yeah but that would have been too easy…”

“True… and I know how you like to embellish things in your head like creating my Superman pajama ensemble.” We both laughed and he tipped my chin up toward him with his finger so I’d look at him. My heart skipped a beat every time he looked at me the way he did just then. I wanted to wrap myself up in him and never move again.

“Can I tell you something?”

He nodded and leaned in close to me so that when he spoke his breath was trailing over my lips, “Definitely…”

I paused to let the rush of warm fuzzies spread over my body and then kissed him before talking again, this time practically whispering against his lips. “I’m sorry that she broke your heart… But I’m really, really glad you’re here with me.”