- Text Size +

"How’s your head?" Kevin asked over the phone as I lay on my couch with Vinnie watching cheesy sitcoms on the Disney channel.  It had been a week since my concussion and Kevin had called me nearly every day to check on me.  Utterly sweet, he was.

"As close to normal as it ever was I guess…" I laughed.

Kevin chuckled and I smiled, "So…"

"So…"

"Uh… how’s Vinnie?"

I grinned looking at Vinnie, "He’s currently lying next to me on the couch on his back, sound asleep and snoring."

Kevin laughed again, "Nice..."

I ran my hand over Vinnie’s exposed belly.  "So I was thinking…" I said biting my lip and rolling my eyes at how cheesy I sounded.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah… it’s a rare occurrence that I think… but I do it occasionally…" I teased eliciting a snigger from Kevin. "Anyway, I was thinking that maybe Vinnie could fend for himself and I could take you out to dinner…" Silence. All I heard was silence and I squeezed my eyes shut, "… you know… uh… to thank you for taking care of me the other night, and being so sweet…" My words trailed off and I slapped my hand to my forehead rubbing it with my palm in frustration.

"I’d love to…"

His voice was like music and I dropped my hand from my head and opened my eyes, "Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"You sure? Cause you kind of… well I dunno you just sounded like you…"

"Kel?" he interrupted my rambling gently.

"Hmm?" I frowned biting my bottom lip.

"You know about me, right?"

I made a confused look towards the phone in my hand, "Um… huh?"

He chuckled, "You know… about me and stuff…”

I sighed and began rubbing my forehead again. This is exactly why I didn’t date. Men made no goddamn sense. "Help me out here Kevin… You’re Kevin, you’re Roland’s buddy, and you’ve got really pretty eyes and a great phone voice."

"Okay, but you know more about me, right?”

“Sure I do.  I know what you do for a living.  Or at least what you used to do.  That’s about all I know though… I mean, you’ve told me a little about you since last week, but that’s it.  I haven’t Googled you or anything like that… Have you Googled me?"  What the hell was he hiding?  I had visions of finding out that the reason he wasn’t on tour with his bandmates anymore was because he turned out to be a psycho killer who got off on hanging out with women who had big crazy dogs and lived on the beach.

"That sounds so dirty…” he said with a laugh.  “But no, I haven’t looked you up online.  I figured I’d get to know you on my own.”

“Well same here… So what little I know about you is what you’ve told me.” 

“That’s cool.  So when can I pick you up?”

I smiled and ran my hand through my curls before looking down at my clothes. "Well… depends on where we go. If my holy jeans and Snoopy tee shirt will do, then come on over…"

"Holy jeans and Snoopy?" he giggled.

"Mmm hmm… this Best Selling Author only wears the best..."

"I’ll be there in ten minutes."