- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Can Kevin and Julie work together?

At first it appeared that she hadn't moved times at all. She stood in the same spot in The Library with nobody around, she couldn't see Brian however and it was seconds before another volunteer walked into the room. The woman glanced at Julie, her eyes widening in shock before smiling at her.

“Hello,” the woman said. “Can I help you?”

“I'm looking for Kevin.” Julie answered. The woman's voice was familiar and it didn't take long for Julie's mind to register that she was standing in the presence of Steph.

“You must be the new girl,” Steph smiled and extended her hand. “I'm Steph.”

Julie took the woman's hand, she had become all too good at pretending and lying. “Julie, nice to meet you.”

“So you are looking for Kevin? I think I saw him leave, but if you want to come with me I can take you to his office.” Steph motioned for Julie to follow her as she started to walk towards the stairs that lead to the basement rooms.

Julie had to quickly weigh her options, should she follow this woman she just saw making love to Nick with her eyes as they talked about hiding AJ in another time and searching for her to do the same. Or should she shrug off the woman's help and go the opposite direction.

“I think I want to check the stacks for something,” Julie smiled at the girl. “You are welcome to help me and then maybe you can show me where his office is later.” Julie hoped that Steph would not agree to this new arrangement.

“Well I was on my way to see Dr. Dorough so I shouldn't keep him waiting any longer.” Steph returned the smile and turned to walk away.

Julie sighed with relief as she made her way up the stairs. She really needed to go into the basement levels but with Steph down there she couldn't head down this minute, she would have to wait a good amount of time before she could head down. She hoped that it wouldn't be too late.

Julie stuck around upstairs for about thirty minutes and then ventured down. Steph wasn't on the first floor anymore. Julie made her way to the stairs and started down, she hoped that Howie, Kevin and Charles would be around so she could discuss the information she discovered about AJ's whereabouts.

It wasn't long before Julie was underground and standing outside the door to the office she remembered seeing Howie and Charles in before. She hoped they were there. She knocked on the door and entered when she heard someone say “come in.”

“Hello?” Julie called out as she entered.

“Julie was it?” Charles walked towards her. “I thought you were out rescuing AJ. Did you succeed?”

Julie shook her head. “The volunteer Steph, she's a rogue volunteer. She gave information to Nick about our rescue. AJ was moved before I got there and they would have moved me too if I hadn't been rescued earlier that night.”

“Shit,” Charles muttered and picked up his phone. She heard him speaking to who she assumed was Howie but the words were strewn together so quickly that it was hard for Julie to understand what he was saying. After only a few minutes, Howie and Kevin came barging into the room.

“What happened?” Kevin demanded of her. His eyes were angry but not accusatory.

“Nick moved him. I followed Steph who was looking for me at the villa and overheard them talking. They spoke of Washington's camp and I went back to The Library in twenty-twelve, by accident,” she added when she saw their confused looks. “Brian helped me research and we think that Nick has moved AJ to the camp at Valley Forge. I came back here to let you know that is where I will be going next and to change into attire more suitable for December, seventeen seventy seven.”

“What makes you think it will be then and not later early seventeen seventy eight?” Kevin asked a sound of doubt in his voice.

“Nick sold as slaves, he isn't above giving his prisoners up as laborers. December of seventeen seventy seven is when the soldiers arrived in Valley Forge and had to set up camp. I'm sure Nick had no issues dropping him off there to help build the cabins.” Julie smiled at Kevin, she knew it was a smug smile, but she couldn't help herself.

“Okay,” Howie spoke up. “Kevin, you and Julie go to Valley Forge and retrieve AJ. If you are able, bring Nick in as well.”

“I want to go alone,” Kevin burst out. “There is no reason to endanger her any more.” Kevin pointed to her as if she was a chair in the room.

“You don't want to have to feel responsible for me is what this is about you think I'll screw up?” Julie shot back.

Kevin turned towards her. “That has nothing to do with it.” he hissed.

The two of them stood staring each other down. Julie was reminded of staring contests she would have with her friends in school, it was childish but she was not going to be the one to avert her eyes.

“Enough!” Charles shouted. Kevin looked away ashamed and looked at his boss. “Kevin, you will take Julie. She has proven herself capable of handling things. I want two of you there in case Nick is there again.”

“Then send me with Erika.” Kevin argued back.

“Erika has asked for another assignment, I'm not sure she can handle the stress right now.” Charles added. “All the others are busy tracking down other rogues that Nick has recruited and fixing what they messed up and Julie has just informed me that Steph needs to be taken into custody.” Charles rubbed his eyes and looked back at the two volunteers in front of him. “Suck it up, get over whatever issue you have with her and get to work.”

Kevin looked at Howie and then looked at Julie before turning to leave. “I am going to go get changed.” Julie didn't even say good-bye to the other two before charging after Kevin.

“What is your deal?” She shouted as she followed him to where she assumed she would get an outfit to blend in as well. She was especially confused after their last encounter. She could still feel the touch of his fingers on her thigh as he strapped the belt around her leg.

“Nick is after you, it's not safe.” Was all he said. He turned and pointed across the hall. “You change there. I will see you in ten.”

Julie changed into an outfit appropriate for the time period, though she stuck with her own bra instead of wearing the corset. It took her a bit longer than ten minutes for her to finish getting changed. She didn't have a chance to make a sarcastic comment about his outfit when she did arrive as he was already moving towards the jump room, at least that is what she was calling it in her head.

“Set your device. Are you still wearing the belt?” He asked her.

Julie nodded as she moved her device to the correct positioning. She looked up at him and raised her eyebrows as she pushed her button.

She arrived a matter of seconds before Kevin. There was a cold sleet coming down and she wrapped the shawl around her shoulders. “Do we have to stand in this?”

Kevin looked around and pointed to a small shelter nearby. “We can sit under that.”

Julie nodded, there wasn't much choice on the matter and she quickly ran to get under the small covering. They sat quietly watching the sleet coming down, they could see the camp from where they sat. “Could we just go in?” Julie asked.

“We could, but it would be best to wait to see if your assumptions are correct before we barge in there.”

“My assumptions?” Julie scoffed. “I overheard them...no, you know what. I'm not getting into this with you. I don't understand you, one minute you look at me like you can't stand to be apart from me, the next you are yelling at me thinking I am unable to handle this.” She motioned around her. “What the hell is going on? Why does Nick have it out for you, why is he using me to get to you?”

Kevin stayed silent, staring at the camp. Julie rolled her eyes at him and started to watch the camp as well.

“You are my assignment. I returned one of his cases to twenty twelve and he took it personally. He vowed he would get back at me so he has decided to go after you.” Kevin turned and looked at her. They sat looking at each other for what seemed like forever.

'Move closer,' Julie thought as she willed Kevin to move closer to her. Even after the disagreements, even if he pissed her off, she still wanted to feel his lips on hers. The patter of the sleet on the wooden roof broke Julie out of her thoughts as she shivered in the cold.

“Cold?” He asked and moved closer. Her heart leapt as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him. She tucked her head up under his chin and huddled closer to him. She could hear his heart beating, it sounded strong and steady just like its owner.

“Julie,” Kevin spoke and she looked up. Their faces were mere millimeters apart now. “There he is,” Kevin spoke again, his eyes trained on the nearby camp. She looked in the same direction and saw Nick, wearing a modern trench coat wandering out of the camp and towards the nearby woods.

“I'm going into the camp to get AJ, you stay here.” Kevin pointed to the spot she was sitting in.

“They sent me so one of us could go after AJ and one of us could retrieve Nick.” She argued. “I'll get AJ, you get Nick.”

“No. You are a woman and that is a camp full of men.” Kevin stated and started to wander towards the camp. “And you will not go after Nick.” His face was determined and stern.

She stood and watched him leave, when he was far enough away Julie turned in the direction Nick went and started to follow him. “Like hell I'll stay put.”