- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ming Dynasty China and Steph..

Julie had looked up Zoe's file while Brian was still visiting his family; she wanted to make sure she jumped to the right location. She didn't want to wander all around China searching. It turned out that Zoe started her compound outside the city of Jiangxi where only a decade later a group of Jesuit Missionaries would found their mission.

She stood on a hill overlooking the camp and watched, the wind blowing her skirts slightly. She saw several people walking around the camp, mostly children but a few adults could be seen darting between the huts. She moved between a couple of trees and sat down, watching, waiting. The night was cool, but not cold and she relished being out of the library that smelled of books or in the hospital that smelled like antiseptic.

She was left alone with only her thoughts. She thought back to what Brian said. Kevin was guarding his heart because he thought she would leave him for her own time, but from what she overheard, Kevin planned on sending her back to twenty-twelve without any memory of what happened. What better way to guard your heart.

That's why she was there, sitting outside the rogue camp alone. Even if Kevin were to get hre first jump information he couldn't take her back without undoing what she had done to save AJ.

Waiting for the activity in the camp to settle down, Julie thought about her mother and finding out she was ill. It wasn't long after she returned from her last encounter with Nick that Julie found out her mother was ill and in the hospital. When she showed up, her cousin was sitting by her mother's side. She thought the glares from here cousin were unwarranted until she remembered that she missed her wedding, again, and she was the maid of honor. No call, nothing. She was a horrible friend and cousin. A slight protest in the back of her mind told her that she was probably being sold as a slave as her cousin walked down the aisle, but Julie felt guilty anyway.

Her cousin left so they could be alone. Julie thought she'd be devastated to see her mother in the hospital hooked up to machines, pale and sleeping but when she looked deep within, Julie had gone through losing her mother years ago already. She spilled her tears and the thought of losing he mother again evoked no more tears from her. She felt like a horrible daughter but when she opened up to Brian about it he told her that if she was strong for her mother and loved her then she wasn't a bad daughter at all.

Her eyes fell on the camp, less people were wandering around. The camp was slowly going to sleep and Julie could feel her eyes starting to close. She fought back sleep and decided to stand up and start moving towards the camp. Darkness was falling more and she didn't want to be too far away when it was dark enough for her to enter the camp.

Carefully she started to make her way through the camp. The houses were somewhat close together so she moved cautiously. She wandered through the narrow streets between the brick buildings. The first two houses she came across were dark and when she looked around inside she only saw sleeping children. Quietly she exited and crept towards the building that still had light seeping out from under the door.

She crouched next to the door, against the wall and listened. She could hear voices inside and hoped that one of them would say something about where AJ was being kept.

“I am not saying that's the only thing I am going to change, but it's definitely something I am going to correct,” a woman's voice sounded through the door.

“You would go back and tell sixteen-year-old you not to lose it to the guy next door?” Men's laughter echoed this question.

“Yes, that guy wouldn't leave me alone for the next five years.” The woman spoke over the laughter defending her decision.

“Well if some of these other events get changed, you might not have to worry about changing yours. It might never happen if Nick succeeds in his mission.”

“It's about time he's done with getting even and can focus on our true purpose.” The familiar voice of Steph came through the door. Julie held her breath, if Steph caught her, this entire thing would be over. She might be able to fool any other rogue that caught her, but Steph knew her.

“Are you still grumpy because he didn't take you with him?” the first female asked. The room was silent, too silent for Julie's liking. Maybe they were disbanding and they would be coming out any second. She had to decide quickly if she was going to leave or chance it. She decided to stay and was glad she did when the talking resumed.

“He knows that my passion to end the foot binding here is strong,” Steph finally answered back.

“Then why aren't you further back in time? Didn't it start in like the tenth century or something?” the woman added.

“It did, but I am gathering information on why it became so popular so that when I do go back I can be sure to influence people away from that thinking.”

“You just don't want to leave in case Nick comes back from Germany sooner than expected.” This time a man made the comment to her, laughter could be heard from around the room.

Julie heard chairs pushed back, that was her cue to move along. Nobody said anything about AJ and she could not risk getting caught by Steph. She crept through the streets and came across another darkened building. It was probably just more kids but she couldn't risk the off chance that AJ was in this building.

When she pushed the door open it squeaked slightly.

“I thought I would be left alone for eight hours, that was the agreement.” AJ's voice sounded from the furthest corner.

“Oh thank god, AJ! It's me, Julie.” She moved towards the back of the room where she heard AJ's voice come from.

“Julie?” he asked as if he couldn't fully believe it was her.

“I've been looking for you since Nick moved you from Rome. I came back to find you gone.” She knelt next to him; he was set up on a blanket on the ground. They didn't even have the decency to give him one of the cots that were scattered about the room. “They made me a volunteer after I swore to bring you back.”

“Steph, she said... Nick killed you.” Julie heard the chain clang as he reached up to touch her arms making sure she was really there.

“He almost killed me,” she smiled though she wasn't sure he'd be able to see it.

“Can you get me out of here?” He held up his arm that was chained to a post in the ground.

Julie turned in a direction away from AJ, even though it was dark, and hiked up her dress, reaching into the belt to retrieve the lock picking tools she remembered to grab before leaving. She smoothed the dress back down and grabbed AJ's hand with the cuff on it. She had no light so it would be difficult, but she'd been practicing in her weeks of banishment.

When the cuff clicked open, AJ pulled it off himself and rubbed his wrist as he stood. He helped her stand back up and then took the lead as they hurried to the door to leave. Voices outside the door caused Julie's heart to jump into her chest. AJ held her back, standing between the door and her. She was here to rescue him but he was acting like it was the other way around. Julie didn't mind. After being stabbed and knowing Nick would do it again in a heartbeat, she could use the extra security.

“Let's go,” AJ whispered after the voices grew distant again.

“I have a device, why aren't we just jumping here, now?” Julie whispered back as they moved through the streets.

“I overheard someone talking about a mission Nick is currently on. I need to bring that information back, we have to stop him.” He whispered back stopping her suddenly with his arm. He motioned her to move towards the small alleyway. They moved further into the shadows as Steph's brunette head came into view.

“I know I heard something out here.” She barked at the other men with her.

“There's no one out here, and the kids are all asleep.” One of the men replied to her. “You are just jumpy.” The men wandered back to the building Julie had heard them in earlier but Steph remained in the middle of the road looking around. Finally, she sighed and moved towards another building. When the door shut and the flickering of candle light could be seen, AJ grabbed hold of Julie's arm and pulled her towards a lone building a little distance away from the main buildings.

He pushed open the door and pulled her inside with him. AJ opened one of the shutters on the window to let the moonlight in. “Let's look for anything that could give us a lead.”

“There is something going on,” Julie heard Steph's voice coming closer to the building they were in. She grabbed several papers off of the table in front of her; she would look at them later. Hopefully something she grabbed contained any information that would help them.

The two bolted from the door and ran towards the hill that Julie had watched the camp from earlier. They got out just in time, they weren't too far away when they heard Steph commanding someone to check on AJ. Julie knew it would only be a matter of time before they discovered him missing and started searching for them.

When they reached the top of the hill, Julie grabbed her device and started to dial back to twenty-thirty. “Let's go home AJ.” She smiled at him as he put his arm around her waist. She pushed the button to take them home, letting out a sigh of relief that she had him.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I love you Steph, I really do.. lol this isn't you just your name :-D