- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

will she keep her memories?

When she heard the door shut, Julie let the tears fall into her hands. At this point she thought she would be better off if Nick had succeeded in killing her. She wouldn't be facing the choice of leaving to go live in the past or having her memory of the last five years erased.

When she felt someone sit next to her on the bed she sat up straight and looked over at Kevin, wiping her eyes trying to hide that she'd been crying.

Kevin looked behind her and saw the bag on her bed. “What's going on?” he asked indicating the bag.

“I am just going through my stuff, packing things I want to take with me, things I don't want to leave behind.” She stood and moved away from him, finding a tissue to wipe the last of the tears from her eyes. “I thought you left.” She tried to keep her voice cold.

Kevin stood and moved closer to Julie, attempting to enfold her in his arms but she ducked away and moved to the other side of the room. Kevin let out a frustrated sigh and turned towards her again. “Where are you going?” He asked; his face crestfallen.

Julie shook her head. “I'm leaving.” She stated simply.

“Going home?” Kevin asked. His voice sounded sad, but Julie couldn't shake what she had heard him and Howie discussing.

She shook her head. “I just need to get away, go somewhere I feel needed, wanted.”

Kevin stepped closer reaching his arm out to her, “Julie I...” he stopped speaking when Julie held up her hand.

“I overheard you and Howie talking when I was getting this,” She motioned to the han fu she was still wearing. “I know what you are planning to do. You will want to return me, you plan to wipe my memory and return me.”

“Julie, I still don't know...” he paused and closed his eyes smirking. He shook his head and tried to move closer. “I remember hearing from Erika that one of the Chinese outfits had gone missing.” He laughed, Julie didn't join him, instead she moved back to her bag on the bed moving things around so she could fit more items in it.

“Julie, she told me that months ago.” He smiled, he obviously thought she would catch on but she just glared at him. “Nineteen sixty, you ran into the bathroom and locked the door. I seem to remember running water. I was so pissed I am pretty sure I slammed the door to the hotel room when I left.”
Julie thought about it for a minute, he had left her alone in the room and when she came out, Nick was there. “What about it?”

Kevin laughed. “You had me so frustrated I came back to discuss options with Howie. I do remember having that conversation with him about you months ago, we decided against it. Wiping your memory was too risky. But that was before...” He stopped and looked at her; his eyes were twinkling with amusement. “You must have jumped into twenty-thirty and heard that conversation. I would never, not now.”

Julie must not have been paying attention to how close he was getting and was slightly surprised to feel his arms wrapping around her, pulling her into a deep hug. It felt good to be in his arms and she never wanted him to let go, but eventually he pulled away and looked at her.

“Since we are clearing the air,” Kevin started sitting back down on the bed and patting the spot next to him. She sat down and looked at him. “Can I ask you about what Nick said. Did you really sleep with him?
Julie cringed, she was afraid he would ask her about that. “Yes,” She answered. She watched as a flare of anger flashed across Kevin's face. He took a few moments to himself before he turned back to her.

“Kevin..” She started but stopped. She really didn't know what she could say to him. She moved closer and put her hand on his leg. “I just came home after jumping through time for five years. My life was falling apart and Nick gave me comfort, he was there when I needed someone who understood, someone I could talk to.” She removed her hand and sat with her hands folded in front of her.

Kevin reached for her hands and took them in his own. “Julie, I don't hold it against you. Knowing Nick, it was part of his revenge.” He squeezed her hands and they sat together in silence for a few minutes.

“So where are you planning to go?” Kevin asked finally breaking the silence.

“Not where, when.” Julie responded. “I was going to go back to nineteen sixty and work with Edith again. When I heard that conversation between you and Howie and with my mom dying, I just wanted to leave, I wanted to be around someone that I knew cared. Edith was a good friend and I enjoyed her company, it seemed natural to go back there. I was going to tell Brian in a note where I would leave it so he could retrieve his device.”

“Your mother?” Kevin asked.

She looked up at him, she'd forgotten that she hadn't see him in weeks and he had no idea what she'd been going through with her mother. “My mom's heart is failing.”

Kevin placed his hand on her back and started to rub it slightly. She continued, “When I got back she'd gone into the hospital. The doctors said she'd been under stress; she had filed a missing persons report on me. It's my fault she's in the hospital.” She averted her eyes from Kevin's gaze, she felt embarrassed that she admitted she would leave her, and by what she was going to say next. “When I visited I felt so detached. I mean, she is my mother and I love her but I came to terms with losing her years ago. Having a chance with her again would have been nice, but I don't even consider her when I do anything. I know it is horrible to leave her again in the condition she is in, but the doctors say it's only a matter of time before she is gone for good.” Even though she felt sad talking about her mother's impending death, still no tears would fall.

“There is nothing for me here,” She whispered.

Julie felt Kevin as he lifted her chin and forced her to look at him. He leaned closer and brushed her lips with his. Julie's stomach fluttered at the softness of his kiss. Her body responded by moving closer and pressing her lips into his.

Kevin pulled away and smiled at her, he brushed her hair away from her face. “Stay with me,” he whispered so quietly Julie wasn't sure she heard him say it all.

“Yes,” she replied as she kissed him again wrapping her arms around him and pulling him closer. Kevin's arms wrapped tighter around her and pulled her as close as he could. Julie's hands moved to the robe of the han fu and undid the ties that kept it closed. She slipped it off and dropped it to the floor.

“Erika is going to kill you if she finds out you did that,” Kevin joked as he trailed kisses down her neck.

“Well then we better not tell her.” Julie pushed Kevin away and stood, lifting the rest of the garment off over her head. She felt slightly self conscious as stood in front of him in only her bra and panties. Kevin reached for her and grabbed her hips, pulling her closer to him.

He looked up at her and she bent down kissing him. She tugged on Kevin's shirt and he helped pull it off over his head. Once his shirt joined the han fu on the ground, Julie crawled on top of Kevin, their lips pressed feverishly against each other. Kevin held on to her as he moved further back on the bed, shoving her bag on the floor.

Kevin rolled Julie over and hovered over her, he trailed kisses down her neck, her chest and her stomach. He knelt over her and undid his pants throwing them somewhere in the room. And soon Julie's room was a mess of clothes scattered as their undergarments joined everything else on the floor.

Julie grabbed Kevin's arms and pulled him closer to her. Their kisses grew in urgency and desire as they felt the heat of their bodies pressed together. When Kevin finally entered her Julie let out a gasp of pleasure, arching her back to be closer to him. His pace was slow and easy to start but it wasn't long before their built up desire exploded into a frenzied passion that left them both breathing heavily.

When they finished Kevin continued to kiss her all over, wrapping her tightly in his arms. Eventually they both fell asleep holding each other. For Julie it was one of the best nights of sleep she had in a long while.