- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Will it work? Will he come?

Julie glanced down at her watch (she was able to obtain a new on since it was necessity for work) and tapped her feet with impatience as the line at the post office was moving at a snail's pace. She managed to get the letter written the night before and asked Meg to let Edith know she would be at the post office. The first scene wasn't scheduled to start filming until around lunchtime, and with the way the sky looked, she wasn't sure it would even start then either. She doubted Edith would be swamped at least until it cleared it up, if it cleared up.

'I'm getting attached,' Julie reprimanded herself. She shook her head, knowing that if and when she finally left this time she would sorely miss the friends and colleagues she had. It was not the first time she attached herself to a group. She lived for almost a month in a small farming community a few years before the dust bowl. The family that was kind enough to take her in had a little girl that Julie couldn't help but love. It just about broke her heart when she jumped from that time period.

Hungry for any information on the family, mostly the little girl she left behind; Julie looked for information about them when she was able. She was about to give up when she stumbled on an article about the little girl. The girl was found dead in a creek near the property. The article had statements from her family saying she must have slipped while she was out looking for the lady that had bunked with them briefly and left suddenly without word. Reading this did break Julie's heart and she swore to never get attached again.

She fought the tears back as the line moved forward. She was next in line, the last thing she needed was to be an emotional mess when submitting her unusual request.

“Next,” A sweet woman's voice called out. “What can I do for you?” She asked when Julie approached the counter.

“My friend and I have a bet going on and you could really help me out,” Julie started, hoping this woman would go along. “I bet him that in sixty years he would still be alive. He's been reading all these crazy end of the world theories. Pure science fiction I've told him. Anyway, as kind of a prank on him, the future him, I want to mail a letter to him sixty years in the future. To kind of rub it in his face.”

“Sounds fun,” The woman said. “One question, how will you know where he will be?”

“Well, I don't for sure,” Julie hoped this would work. “but his parents own a hotel in Denver, Colorado. I have a feeling it will be around.” she winked at the woman.

“Well, it sounds kind of crazy, but what the heck. We need a bit of fun in the world, and I'm in such a good mood today I can't deny your fun,” She took Julie's letter addressed to the Brown Palace hotel in Denver Colorado, room 438, to be delivered April 17, 2020.

Julie ran all the way back to the set, hoping that this scheme would work. She had her doubts, but she felt better being pro-active in her rescue instead of just sitting around waiting to be saved as if she were a damsel in distress. It wasn't an incredibly busy day getting actors ready since the sky was still gray and the threat of rain still hung in the air. Julie was still very busy though. She spent most of her time pressing the clothes and making sure they were clean of any lint and that the seams were still holding.

She just finished fixing the seam on a bathing suit and was hanging it up when a male voice startled her. “That suit would look great on you.”

“Tommy, what kind of comment is that to make to a lady?” Julie questioned as she turned around expecting to see Tommy's goofy grin behind her. Instead she saw the tall dark-haired man she hoped to see standing behind her with a playful grin, his deep green eyes sparkling with jest.

“Who's Tommy?” Kevin asked her.

Julie didn't know the man well, she wanted to hug him again, but he wasn't sure how he would take that. “He's a boy I met here.” Was all the information she would give him. Who knew, he might have had some kind of technology to wipe the memories of the people he ran into while he traveled to make sure nobody remembered him. “You found me,” She added beaming at him.

“How did you convince the post office?” He held out the envelope she had mailed that morning. The envelope yellowed with age caused Julie to grin even larger, her cheeks sore from grinning so much.

“You got it!” She grabbed hold of the envelope and pulled out the letter, reading the familiar words she wrote the night before. “There was a really nice woman who was having a great day and I convinced her it would be fun to send my friend a letter when he was an old man.” She chuckled and hugged the letter. “When did you get it?”

“Well that's a funny story. You disappeared and I was getting ready to go back to my time to a place we call The Library to try to research more about where you could have gone when I got a knock on the door. The bellhop apologized and told me a story about how a letter had been delivered to them that morning but no one thought it could be for real since the postage was the incorrect amount and it looked old. He managed to catch up with the person who delivered it and they told him that they'd been holding onto it for the last sixty years and now it was delivered. Whether the recipient was there or not was not their concern, their job was done. He continue to tell me that he was curious and had to know if the person in room 438 knew anything about this old letter. Imagine his surprise when I told him it was the very thing I needed and thanked him with an extremely generous tip, if I say so myself.”

“But how could you have known it was from me before you read it?” Julie asked confused. Did this time traveling man also come from a time that psychic powers are commonplace?

“I didn't,” He stated simply.

“Well then why?” She asked.

Kevin cocked his head to the side and smirked at her playfully again. “I can't go giving away the reason behind everything, how would I remain the mysterious stranger who came to rescue you?”

Julie rolled her eyes and turned back to the clothing rack sifting through to see if any other outfits needed fixing. “What are you doing?” Kevin asked as he watched her pull at a seam.

“What does it look like? I'm working,” She replied briskly taking the item to her work corner to fix the seam after she determined she did not like the way it was pulling.

“I thought, after that letter, don't you want to go home? Isn't that why you took a chance?” He followed her and leaned against the wall watching her as she concentrated on her stitching.

Julie relaxed and let her hands drop in her lap, still holding the material and needle. “I can't leave them in a bind. If I don't fix these, Edith will have to not only fix the items but get everyone ready for their scenes. I feel obligated to help them, they helped me.”

Kevin squatted in front of her and took her hand still clutching the outfit and looked her in the eyes. “You have no control over when you will leave. What happens if you leave suddenly again and you end up unable to send me a message? I am here now, tell me what I need to know so that none of this will have happened.”

“Julie?” a voice called through the racks.

“Yes.” she called out her reply to the other voice, holding Kevin's eye contact. It wasn't long before Edith appeared, looking prim in her usual skirt, matching jacket combo, today they were both a deep purple. The jacket draped over her shoulders in her usual fashion. “Edith?” Julie questioned the older woman's appearance, dropping both Kevin's hand and eye contact to stand and find out what she was needed for.

Edith looked from Julie to the man slowly rising from the floor and then back to Julie. “Am I interrupting?” She placed her hand on her hip and waited for the response.

“No ma'am.” Julie responded quickly. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

Edith deftly removed her jacket and hung it on the back of a nearby chair. She took the clothing item Julie held and looked over the stitch work that had already been completed. “Why are you working when it's obvious that stud has come to see you?” Edith winked at Julie. Julie could feel her cheeks turn crimson at the lady's assumption.

“It's not like that,” Julie protested.

“Julie, you have been a blessing the last two months. I don't know what I would have done without you,” Edith admitted before moving closer and continuing in a whisper. “I called the agency to thank them for a wonderful assistant and wouldn't you know, they've never heard of you. In fact, they apologized as the girl they did send out to me ended up getting ill and wasn't able to make it.”

Julie started to pull back; maybe it was time to leave after all, her cover was blown. She tried to move away but Edith had a death grip on her arm. “I can explain,” She started to speak.

“Hun, let me finish,” Edith relaxed her grip sensing it was causing Julie unease. “I don't know where you came from, but it was providential that you did show up. I don't care how you got here, I am just glad you were.” She moved close to Julie and whispered, “If you need 'anything' you let me know.” She looked at Julie over the rim of her glasses, her eyes quickly flicking to Kevin before holding her gaze again.

“Edith, this is my friend Kevin,” Julie introduced the two strangers feeling her cheeks burn from embarrassment. She knew enough about Edith to know what she was hinting at. “He was visiting the Islands and heard I was here.”

“This tall drink of water is only a friend?” Edith took Kevin's hand and Julie watched as he brought Edith's hand to his lips and kissed it lightly.

Julie shook her head at the scene in front of her. If Edith only knew the man kissing her hand would not be born for probably another thirty or so years. “I am almost finished fixing all of the items that you asked me to fix.”

Edith looked back at Julie, then down at the outfit in her hands. “They've closed set today and it's been a long time since I've practiced my stitching and he's come all this way to visit. You go ahead, I can handle this.” Edith pushed Julie towards Kevin. Julie could feel Edith's eyes on her as she and Kevin left.

“She's a trip,” Kevin remarked when they were out of earshot.

“She's made being here worth it.” Julie smiled remembering the many conversations she'd had with Edith when they weren't busy getting actors and extras ready for set.

“Let's go somewhere to talk.” Kevin grabbed her elbow and steered her towards a building on the edge of the beach.