- Text Size +

“What are we doing here?” I asked Andrea in an unfriendly manner when the directions she gave me led us to a flower shop.

“What do you think?” She answered with a smile, obviously ignoring my attitude.

“I’m not going on a date, Andrea. I’m just going to visit a friend.”

“I know, but it’s valentine’s day. Your friend would surely appreciate it if you will bring her something. I’m really surprised you didn’t order flowers for your Mom and three sisters. Girls loves receiving flowers or chocolates during Valentine’s Day.” Andrea rolled her eyes.

“I don’t want her to think I’m rushing things. I just want to see where this friendship would lead us.”

“Nick, you’re not going to ask her for a date or something. Just bring something special for her today.”

“Any suggestions?” I asked in a defeat tone.

“Why don’t you buy her peach roses? Peach roses symbolizes sincerity, and it also represents gratitude and thankfulness. I’ve read somewhere that if you want to express a genuine gratitude without a tinge of love, then you must use peach roses.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Sir.”

I was greeted by a woman in her late forties when I entered the flower shop. She had a very beautiful glow in her face. She said it excites her everytime a man enters the store because it means her flowers will make one woman happy. I ordered six pieces of peach roses because a dozen looked too much for me. I also bought four of the beautiful flower arrangements she had on display, and asked her to deliver it to my Mother and sister’s home. I gave her a large amount of tip which she politely declined. She said it was enough that I chose her flower shop to make five women happy today. When I heard what she said I immediately ordered for another piece of peach rose, then I went out of the store with a huge smile on my face.

“Those are so gorgeous, Nick.” Andrea gushed when I put the flowers in the backseat.

“Thank you. My Mom and my sisters would receive their flowers in less than three hours,” I said proudly with a smirk “And this one is for a very special ghost in my life. Thank you for always looking after me. Happy Valentine’s day.” I placed the peach rose on the dashboard in front of her.

“I don’t know what to say, you are so sweet.”

“Well, Thank you comes to mind.” I playfully winked at her.

“Thank you.” She said with a sweet smile.

“You’re welcome.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*

“Happy Valentine’s day.”

Kate’s expressive eyes widen when she saw me standing in front of the counter holding peach roses with a wicked grin on my face.

“You made it. Nickolas. I’m impressed.”

“Well,” I shrugged my shoulder “I always keep my promises.” I handed her the peach roses and a sweet smile slowly appear on her face.

“Aww, Nick, these are gorgeous. Thank you. How did you know peach roses are my favorite?”

“I didn’t,” I slightly shook my head and saw Andrea winked at me from the corner of my eyes “The lady from the flower shop suggested them, actually.”

“I see, they always suggest peach roses for friends.” She laughed softly “I’ll just put these in a vase. Take anything you want, Nickolas.” She pointed at the colorful cakes and cupcakes.

“Good morning, Sir.” I greeted the man who was staring at the cupcakes like he cannot decide which to choose. He just nodded slightly to acknowledge my greetings.

“Good morning, Sir. What can I get you?” Kate cheerfully entertained the man when she came back.

“I’d like to have those, and one piece of that chocolate cake, and a strawberry milkshake.” The man pointed at the blue cupcakes with colorful candies sprinkled on top of it, and the triple chocolate cake.

“That is one crazy stubborn man. He is a type 2 diabetic and his doctor advised him to minimize his sugar intake. But he’s going to celebrate Valentine’s day eating sweet stuffs.”A woman in her mid-forties who was standing behind the man said. She was actually talking to Andrea. “He is always like this ever since I died. He celebrates Valentine’s day by doing the things that are bad for him. I’m sure he is going to smoke a pack of cigarette today, too.”

“Sir,” I cleared my throat “You might want to try the grilled chicken sandwich with vegetable.” I showed the menu at him. It was a good thing Kate’s bakeshop offers healthy food.

“No, thank you. I’d stick to my orders.”

“But those are bad for your health.”

Kate gave me a weird look, the woman’s eyes widen in surprise, Andrea smiled, and the man frowned.

“How did you know?”

“Well, um, you have this guilty look on your face.” I said while doing a circular motion around my face “I used to have an alcoholic friend, and he used to have that same look everytime he buys an alcoholic drink. The I-know-this-is-bad-for-me kind of look. You don’t have the cheerful smile of the other customers.”

“This is my way of celebrating the Valentine’s day.” He argued

“But will your loved ones approve of it?”

“She left me seven years ago, she doesn’t care anymore.”

“You’re wrong, Sir. I am sure she is always around, watching over you, and very worried because you are not taking care of yourself the way she wanted you to.”

“Who are you?”

“Nick Carter,” I offered my hand to him and he accepted “Kate, two grilled chicken sandwich and fresh orange juice, please.” I winked at her and she smiled.

“Shall we?” I asked the old man while gesturing to the table near the window. The old man nodded and walked towards the table.

“Thank you.” The woman whispered in my ears “Happy Valentine’s day.”

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for still reading! :)