- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally, a new chapter! :)
“Do you sometimes feel her around you?” I asked the old man after Kate served our food. I was glad Kate gave us space and maintained her distance.

He looked at me for a while, took a bite from his sandwich and looked out of the window again. I waited patiently, this topic was never easy to talked about.

“Every day,” He finally said after letting out a deep sigh “My children sometimes think I’m going crazy. They said maybe I miss their Mom too much and I am just imagining things. But, I could really feel her presence. When I get home from work, I have this feeling like she would come out of the kitchen anytime holding a glass of fresh juice and would ask me how my day was. There are times that I actually waited for her to come out, then I’ll realize she was already gone. There are nights that I could really feel she’s with me, that if I look beside me I’d find her there. You think I’m going crazy?”

“No.”

“You just want to make me feel good.”

“I am a superstitious person. I believe in ghost and some supernatural stuff, so I don’t think you’re going crazy.”

“Ghost?” He asked half smiling.

“Yes. Do you believe in ghost, Sir?”

“Are you saying I am being haunted by my wife?” He chuckled.

“Maybe.” I shrugged “My cousin is into supernatural stuff and she tells me a lot about it. She said when people die they cross over to the other side, to heaven, paradise, the name of the place depends on what you believe in. But she also said some of them stay here on Earth because they have unfinished business. They would not be able to move on unless they are done with it.”

“You are confusing me.”

“There’s a chance your wife chose to stay here to be with you, to still have a chance to look after you.”

“Why can’t I see her?”

“But you can feel her, isn’t that enough?”

“So, you’re saying she’s here with me because she have unfinished business?”

I nodded.

“Why?”

“I don’t know, Sir. Maybe because you are not taking care of yourself like she wanted you to.” I looked at his wife and she was nodding at me.

“He doesn’t have to know you can see me. I have told him everything I wanted before I died, all I want right now is to make sure he will be ok without me.” She smiled.

“How can you tell?”

“You were ordering food that’s bad for you earlier.”

“This is my way of celebrating Valentine’s day.”

“And your wife wouldn’t approve of it, would she?”

“I’ve had enough of this talk.” He pushed his plate aside and stood up.

“If you smell your wife’s favorite perfume on your bedroom when you get home, it only means one thing; I am right about this and she wanted you to be ok before she can move on.”

He paused for a while, shook his head and continued heading to the door.

“I know that he believes you. Once I am sure he will be ok, I will cross over to the light. I promise. Thank you very much for your help.” His wife followed him after saying goodbye to Andrea.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“What?” I asked Andrea while waiting for the traffic light to turn green. She had been smiling like a fool since we left Kate’s bakeshop.

“Nothing,” She teased.

“You look like a teenager who had been asked for a date for the first time.”

“Look who’s talking.” She laughed “You scored ten thousand good points today, Carter. I bet Kate thinks you are one good man.”

“I am,” I laughed and turned to her “Right, Andrea?”

“Um, Nick,” She said slowly while her happy face turned into a serious one. She was staring at something over my shoulder.

I slowly turned around to check what was she looking at, and it was a mistake. My eyes widen in fear and I felt something shivered down my spine when I saw a girl pressing her face into my car’s window. She had a nasty cut in her forehead and blood was dripping all over. Her eyes and lips were swollen, too. She looked like she was punched in the face a couple of times. I was very shocked that I accidentally stepped on the gas pedal.

“Nick!!!!!”

It was Andrea’s frightened voice that snapped me back to reality. It gave me enough time to stepped on the brake before I hit the lamp post on the center island.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading!