- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally, I was able to finish another chapter. Hope you'll still like it. :)
“Remind me again why I agreed to go to the morgue at two o’clock in the morning.” I asked myself dumbly while looking at the sign that points at the direction where the morgue was.

“Because the attendant on duty is a girl, and I think you’re a natural ladies’ man.” The ghost, whom I started to call Johnny, answered with a mischievous smile.

“Oh, yeah, right.” I replied sarcastically.

I took a deep breath, let out a sigh, and walked towards the morgue. I pushed the door of the morgue and winced when a funny smell and cold wind greeted me. The woman in the reception looked at me like I was a ghost or something. For a second, I thought she could see Johnny.

“Nick Carter?” She asked while rubbing her eyes. She maybe couldn’t believe that I would be in a place like this, well, so did I.

“Yes, that would be me.” I answered cheerfully, so she wouldn’t suspect a thing. Plus I really need to get her trust, otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to get all the information I need.

“What are you doing here?”

“Um, well, I was visiting Baylee, you know, Brian Littrell’s son?”

“Yeah, I heard he was admitted here yesterday. I was actually hoping to see Brian later.”

“Well, the Littrells are asleep, and I’m bored, so I decided to explore the hospital.”

“And you wanted to explore this place?” She got out of the reception area and stood beside me.

“You wouldn’t mind showing me around, would you?” I gave her a seductive smile.

“Well, if you’re really up for it. Follow me.” She answered in a flirty voice while almost brushing her breasts in my arms.

I swallowed hard. The girl thought I was looking for a sexual adventure in a morgue. The girl is pretty and her boobs are big, but I would never have sex on a morgue.

I heard Johnny chuckled. “If you decide to go for it, just tell me, and I will be waiting outside.”

“Do you want my help or not?”

He laughed and followed the girl inside. I was actually scared to follow them. I admit, I am scared of the dead bodies inside, but the thought of a beautiful naked girl waiting for me scared me more. I have been faithful to Kate for the past years, and I want it to remain that way. Then I realized what would happen, and the thought of having sex with a girl beside a corpse made me want to throw up.

I was relieved to find out she still have her clothes on when I entered the room.

“Do you want to see dead bodies or just a mini tour of the morgue?”

“It’s up to you.”

She bit her lower lip and smiled at me. I thought she was going to take off her blouse next, but instead she walked towards a steel hospital bed.

“This is where we do the preparation before putting the body in the refrigerator.” She pointed at the refrigerator at the corner that looks like a huge steel cabinet for me.

“I’m on the top row, second to the left.” Johnny informed me.

The girl froze for five seconds then looked around her. She sighed a relief when her eyes met mine.


“Are you ok?”

She nodded. “We only have two bodies, Mr. Hallman is here,” She tapped the middle row of the freezer. “He’s 89 years old and died last night. Heart attack.”

An old man sitting at the steel hospital bed waved at me. I assumed he was Mr. Hallman. He looked happy and peaceful. I smiled at him, I could feel that the light will soon appear to guide him.

“Mr. Monroe is on the top row,”

“Mr. Monroe?” I repeated the name and looked at Johnny to see his reaction. He shook his head.

“Actually, we don’t know his real name. We called him Mr. Monroe because he was hit by a car in Monroe Street. There were no identification cards or anything that could identify him. Internal bleeding is the cause of death, he hits his head pretty hard and it caused brain damage. He has been here for quite a few days now, maybe six or seven days. We are just waiting for police’s instruction as to when we can dispose his body.”

“He can’t stay here until someone claims him?”

“As per the hospital’s policy, no. But if the police thinks they still need the body for the investigation, they can arrange his transfer to a funeral parlor with cold storage facility.”

“Why do you think his family hasn’t claimed him yet?”

“I don’t know,” She shrugged “In my opinion, maybe he’s from another state. All of the police precincts in Georgia were informed about this unclaimed body, so if his family filed for a missing person case, they can be notified immediately. The accident and the unclaimed body reports were all over the news for three days straight: radio, t.v. and newspaper, so it’s impossible that his family wouldn’t know about this if they are in Georgia.”

“Did the police coordinated with the neighboring state?”

“I think so,”

“I don’t remember any of these, Nick. A car accident? I can’t even remember if I’m from Georgia or not.”

“Was he conscious when he was brought here?”

“You seem so interested with Mr. Monroe.”

“Well, there’s nothing to ask about Mr. Hallman.”

“I don’t know,” She gave in after a couple of seconds. “But I have a friend, she’s an emergency room nurse, and if I’m not mistaken, she was working the day Mr. Monroe was brought here. I could ask her for you.”

“I’d appreciate that.”

“In one condition,”

“And that would be?”

“A picture with Brian Littrell.”

“That’s hard considering the situation right now, but I’ll see what I can do.”

“Fair enough.”

“OK, I guess I should be going. Thank you for the mini tour.”

“I’m Jessica, by the way.”

“Oh, shoot, I didn’t even ask for your name. Thank you, Jessica.”

“You’re welcome, Nick.”

“Bye. I’ll see you tonight.” I walked towards the door.

“Nick,”

“Yes?” I turned around and saw her smiling.

“You are such a good man. I wish that someday I can conquer my fear and be like you. I wish I’ll have the courage to help others. You can count on me while working on Mr. Monroe’s case.”

“You can see them?”

She shook her head, “But I can hear them. I’ll see you tonight, and hopefully we’ll have answers.”

She closed the room and went back to the reception area.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading!