- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long chapter and for my mistakes.
February 01, 2005
Budweiser Events Center
Loveland, Colorado


I watched Patty danced happily in the Budweiser Events Center’s parking lot. She was very excited when we left Kansas six hours ago. I smiled a bit when she stopped dancing and looked at me.

“It’s so good to be home, Nicky.” There was a mixture of excitement and sadness in her eyes.

I find it funny that I felt the same things. A part of me was excited and eager to get this over with, and yet a part of me was not ready to let go of Patty. It had been two wonderful days with this special girl, and me not touching my video games for more than 48 hours was enough proof that I enjoyed Patty’s company.

“Are you sure you don’t want to watch tonight’s show?” I asked after making sure no one was around “We could deal with your Mom tomorrow morning, we are set to leave Colorado in the afternoon.”

I was hoping she would at least consider my offer; I would love to see her in the audience tonight.

“That’s a very tempting offer, Mr. Carter, but I think I’d pass.” She waved her hand at me.

“Really? I thought our fans loves to see more than one show, I even heard some fans would drive six to eight hours just to see us.”

“And some fans would even make an impulsive decision to get into the plane, without telling any of her family and friends, to see you in another state just because she wouldn’t be able to see you perform on her own state. Sounds familiar?” She asked me with a smirk on her face.

“Yeah, yeah, I get it.”

“I’ve already seen your show twice, and you know how much I enjoyed the show last night.” She had a playful grin on her lips, and it made me laughed.

Patty was an amazing audience last night. She was having too much fun dancing, screaming and singing along to all our songs; even the new songs from the Never Gone album. And leave it to me to smile, wink and waved at my ghost audience; it was a good thing fans beside her thought I was doing it for them.

“Yo, AJ!” I called out when I saw him getting off his tour bus. Patty and I walked over to him.

“I hate it when you beat me to the venue.” He answered while putting on his sunglasses.

“Listen, man, I need a favour. I just have to do something important, do you think you can cover for me? I promise to be back before the sound check party.” I knew puppy dog’s eyes never worked for AJ but I had to try.

“Gotta go sightseeing with your invisible girlfriend?” He chuckled.

I smiled when I heard the joke Brian started. My best friend speculated that I was hiding a girlfriend in my tour bus because I spent every free time I get in the bus. Then my driver had to butt in and told the guys I was laughing and talking for six hours straight while we travel from Minnesota to Kansas. Patty was laughing so hard behind AJ.

“Whatever,” I replied still smiling “So, you think you can do it?”

“Does saying I don’t know when Kevin asks me sounds good to you?”

“Sounds fine.” I laughed softly “See you later, man.”

“Thanks, AJ. It’s nice meeting you.” Patty whispered to AJ’s ears. I stifled a laugh when AJ shivered, and had a ‘What the fuck?’ look on his face. I was pretty sure he felt Patty’s presence. I turned around and started walking towards the parking lot entrance.

“Too bad I won’t get to say goodbye to Howie.”

I was ready to reply with a smartass comment, but chose to gave her are-you-serious? Kind of look instead when I saw Dianne waiting for us in the parking entrance. Dianne was one of our make-up artist/stylist for the Never Gone tour and she lives in Colorado. I asked her if I could borrow her car for the day.

“Hey, Dianne.” I gave her a goofy grin

“Hey, Nick,” She replied casually and pointed at the red car behind her “This is my sister’s car so please take good care of it.” She handed me the key.

“Thanks, Dianne, you really are the best. And I will take very good care of this baby, don’t you worry.” I said while sliding my hand into the car’s hood.

She laughed “I am not worried at all, Nick, this one is cheap and you can easily replace this if something bad happens while it’s under your care.”

“Thanks again, Dianne.” I tapped her shoulder and made my way into the driver’s seat.

“Be back before sound check, Nick, and if ever you’d be caught tell Kevin I had nothing to do with your get away car.” She waved before walking back to her tour bus.

“What’s your address again?, and I need directions, baby.”

“Purdue Drive, Longmont, Colorado.” Patty simply replied while nodding her head, which I hope meant she’d help me with the directions.

“It’s not a long drive, is it?” I wasn’t in the mood to drive for more than an hour. My nervousness was killing me.

“It usually takes 45 minutes, but I can do it in 30.”

“If only you could drive, Woman, I’d gladly switch places with you.”

Patty was unusually quiet, and she’d only speak if she had to give out some directions. It made me concentrate on my driving more, but the silence was killing me. My heart was racing too fast that I bet no nurse would accurately count my pulse rate.

“That’s our house.”

Patty pointed to a white cottage bungalow house on our left. I pulled up on the side of the road. I stared at the house for a while before getting out of the car. It was small but a very beautiful house; I loved the landscaping on the garden and the adorable front porch. Something about the house screamed home, a feeling I never get in any of my houses.

“Are you ready?” Patty asked me with a concern look.

“I’ll never be ready for this.” I whispered back.

She nodded and sat on one of the wooden chairs in the porch “Take your time.”

I stood there for two minutes or so trying to find the courage to knock on the door. Patty was patiently waiting for me, but the eagerness to see her mother was written all over her face. I took a deep breath and knocked twice.

A woman in her late 40s opened the door. She had dark brown hair and brown eyes just like Patty. She gave me a surprised look.

“Oh it’s you.” She said as if she was expecting me

“You know me, Ma’am?” I asked nervously, hoping she had some psychic power and she already knew the reason why I was there.

“Of course,” She smiled warmly “Your pictures are all over my daughter’s room. You’re a member of that famous group, right?”

“Yes. I’m Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys.” I held out my hand and she gladly accepted it.

“Barbara Jasperson. Oh yes, that’s you. If my daughter’s here, she’d freak out knowing you are in our house.” She was still smiling but I could clearly see the sadness in her eyes.

I threw a sideway glance at Patty, and she had the same facial expression.

“Forgive my manners, Nick, please come in.” Patty’s mom opened the door widely and motioned for me to come in.

“Howie’s girl, huh?” I whispered to Patty as we entered the house “I would love to see your room, girl.” Patty just rolled her eyes.

“What did you say?” Patty’s mom turned around and asked me

“Oh, nothing.” I quickly answered “No, actually I was asking about your daughter .” I added when I thought it was the best time to initiate the conversation about Patty.

“Patricia.” She said smiling and motioned for me to
sit down “Patty is a big fan of yours.”

“Where is she now?”

She hesitated for a moment, and I was glad she chose to open up “She went missing four years ago. She had an early shift in the diner she was working for, and her co-workers said she was in a hurry to go home when her shift ended. But she didn’t go home that day, and I never saw her ever since. Would you like something to drink, Nick?”

“I’m good, thanks.”

“Police did everything they could to find her, but for me their efforts wasn’t enough. Patty’s co-workers said that she might have run away with her boyfriend but I never believed them. I couldn’t believe them, Nick, because Patty is not that kind of girl. She didn’t even have a boyfriend that time.”

Patty’s mom took a deep breath, then let out a deep sigh “Do you know what kept me alive and sane for four years, Nick? “ She smiled a bit when I shook my head “I just think that Patty went to New York to pursue her dream of being a famous designer, and because of her pride she wouldn’t contact me until she becomes successful. I believe that one day she would call me or knock at our door and say hey, mom I made it.” She wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

I looked at Patty, she was so sad while staring and listening to her mom. She would have been crying if only she still had tears. She gave me a small smile and nodded; I took that as my cue to start talking.

“Mrs. Jasperson, did it ever cross your mind that Patty might be.....” I trailed off; I couldn’t bring myself to say the word.

“Dead?” I was shocked she said the word I couldn’t bring myself to say. “My mind tells me that everytime, but I am a mother and a mother’s heart never loses hopes. I just want to know what happened to her, Nick; I want to be out of this darkness.”

I took the piece of paper, where I wrote all the information I got in Minnesota, from my pocket. I handed it to Patty’s mom, she gave me a questioning look when she read the name of a hospital.

“I really don’t know how I am going to explain everything to you. This will sound really crazy, and I am not sure if you’re going to believe me. Patty went to Minnesota that day to see our concert. She was devastated that her boss didn’t allow her to take a day off to see our show here in Colorado. She made an impulsive decision of buying a concert ticket for the Minneapolis show and booking a flight to Minnesota. She met an accident in the Target Center. She was not identified because she didn’t have any identification card with her that time. I know this might sound crazy for you, and I am not forcing you to believe me, Ma’am.”

I took the two plane tickets to Minnesota from my pocket and gave them to her “But at least please verify all the information written there.”

Mrs. Jasperson stared at the piece of paper and plane tickets I gave her. I sat beside her and pulled her into a hug when she started to cry.
“How did you know?” She asked after crying for like thirty minutes “Why do I feel like my baby’s here?”

I wasn’t ready for those question.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for sticking with me and I promise one more chapter and we're done with Patty. :)