- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you are all still with me here. Enjoy the update :)
Chapter 10

Nick was back home but still had a lot to do with his album. He left earlier in the mornings now sometimes, even before Aaron went to school.

Aaron was a good student, not as bright as Nick had been but got good grades due to his brother's tutoring and guidance with his homework. A while after Nick and Amanda's wedding, Amanda started noticing the 13 year old becoming quiet. He came home from school and rushed up to his room most days without barely a hello to her or his brother.

"AJ, is something wrong with Aaron?" Amanda asked as she watched the boy studying in the kitchen, concentrating on a math book propped open. Usually Nick would sit and go over it with him but he was so busy these days he wasn't home often.

"He's been quiet. I noticed he's on his computer a lot in chat rooms. If I try to talk to him he closes the door in my face, I think its just him being a moody teenager." AJ said. Amanda decided he was right and shook it off, chalking it up to normal teenage behavior.



"Amanda, can you bring me to school?" Aaron asked one morning, coming into the kitchen with his backpack.

"Sure." Amanda offered. She got Celine and drove Aaron to school. Aaron was in 8th grade at Oceanview Middle School, the same where Nick went as a child. Amanda smiled as she remembered when she met Nick by the willow tree not far from the elementary school.....the big blue eyes peering out of a garbage can after he had been bullied by some kids.

"I will get out here, thanks." Aaron said.

"I can drop you off out front." Amanda said as she pulled in front of the school. A group of boys stood at the end of the sidewalk, laughing as Aaron got out of the car. Amanda didn't leave right away, she decided to stay and watch. Aaron walked briskly to get past the boys but they had spotted him.


"Well, if it isn't Carter. Where's your brother?" the biggest boy asked, getting in front of him. Aaron wouldn't look them in the eye, he tried to walk past but was blocked.

"Not today, Mike." Aaron mumbled, looking at his feet.

"You think you're so cool cause your brother sings, don't you? How come you don't sing?" Mike teased.

"I don't want to."

"You can't....I bet you sound worse than he does! No wonder your mom didn't want you." Mike laughed, the other boys joining in.
"Don't talk about my family, Mike."

"Your brother must feel sorry for you, that's why you live with him. You're such a loser, Carter." Mike said before pushing Aaron to the ground, causing him to spill his books. Aaron didn't fight back. Amanda flashed back to Nick....Nick being unable to defend himself....


"Hey! Leave him alone!" Amanda shouted, getting out of the car as the other kids laughed.

"You're pathetic, you need a pregnant woman defending you?"
"Shut up, Mike. That's my brother's wife." Aaron mumbled.

"Good cover." Mike said.

"Excuse me? My husband isn't gay." Amanda snapped.

"He's gay if he sings that music. He threw away a scholarship to Princeton to sing. What a loser. Must run in the family."

"How do you know that?" Amanda asked. She couldn't believe this kid was so rude. Aaron kept looking at her, shaking his head.

"He went to school here, everybody knows." Mike replied as the bell rang.

"We will finish this later, Carter." he added. Amanda helped Aaron pick up the remainder of his books and he stood up.

"I gotta go." he mumbled. Amanda felt horrible, watching him go into the school with his head down. It reminded her of Nick and it killed her to see the bullying happen again.




Nick came home a few hours later and was sitting in the living room when he heard the door open.

"Aaron?" Nick was met with silence but heard feet running up the stairs and a door slamming.

"I will talk to him," Amanda cautioned, holding her belly as she got up. Nick looked confused but nodded and sat down to watch a program on the history channel.

"Aaron?" she called as she knocked at the door. She could hear him crying....it just hit her how serious the situation was. She almost thought of going back to get Nick, feeling nausea in her stomach as the baby inside seemed to disagree.

"Go away!" the teenager yelled, followed by something hard hitting the door, sounding much like a shoe.

"Do you want me to get Nick then?" she asked. Aaron cautiously poked his head out of the door, his red rimmed brown eyes shining.

"Aaron is something going on that you want to talk about?" Amanda asked as she sat down on the bed, her back hurting. She thought about asking Nick for a back rub later on.

"No, it's stupid." Aaron snapped moodily, scowling and walking near the window.

"I saw those kids push you. Don't think I haven't a clue what's going on....I saw it with your brother and I see it again with you."

Aaron moved and Amanda saw him cradling his wrist, wincing in pain.

"What's wrong with your arm?" Amanda asked. He reluctantly held it out and she saw that it was bruised and swollen. He had a few scrapes on his face as well, but they weren't too bad.

"The other kids....they don't like me." he began tearfully.

"Why not?"

"Because of Nick. They think I want to be famous like him....they pick on me a lot. The teachers do too, they always ask me why I am not as good as Nick was in school. Nick got straight A's....I'm not smart like he is." Aaron replied.

"Don't listen to them, you're doing just fine in school." Amanda said. His arm didn't look broken, but his spirit sure did.

"The other kids pick on me cause Nick is my brother, cause I have no parents....and when you yelled at them this morning they jumped me at lunch. Mike pushed me into a brick wall and beat me up....nobody stopped him. It hurts, Amanda. I will never fit in. I want to go back to my old school. I miss my old friends..." Aaron said, sniffling.

"I will talk to Nick about it and see if we can do something."

"Please don't tell him. Don't make me go back there, Amanda." Aaron begged. She stared back at him and wondered if she really could keep this promise, remembering something Nick had said when he was 15....





"If I show you, you can't tell anyone...."

"Nick..."

"Promise me."

Amanda gasped when Nick took off his shirt....revealing dark bruises...deep cuts along his arms and back....it made her sick to her stomach. He was so thin you could see his ribs and backbone....

"Who did this to you?"

"My mom...."




Amanda's eyes filled with tears as she remembered the promise she had made to Nick about his abuse.

"Aaron I'm sorry, I can't do that. We need to tell your brother, he is in charge of you. I will talk to him, okay?" she told him as she left the room, hoping Nick would take the news well.