- Text Size +
Amanda felt great, it was her birthday and she was ready to have a nice night off with her friends, and not worry about the club or the kids. She and Lisa went to get their nails and hair done, and to the store downtown to pick up a dress for Amanda.


“Did you pick this dress?” Lisa asked, when the store clerk brought it out wrapped in plastic.

“No, I have no idea what he’s gotten me. He just said it’s paid for and to pick it up and put it on. Do you know what he’s doing for my birthday? He’s being so secretive that he didn't even tell AJ. Believe me, I asked everyone and nobody had a clue.”

Amanda trusted Nick’s taste in clothes but she just worried a little what he had made her wear. He’d already bought her some fantastic outfits before, this one was probably just as amazing on her. He knew what she liked and she knew what he liked, although they both had preferences.

Lisa laughed as they got into the car and drove back to the house.

“Nick didn't tell me either. He just told me to take you out to the salon. Does he always do things like this for your birthday?”

“Well, a few years ago he did buy me the club where he performs. It was a birthday present while I was still in college...before we dated, before we had the kids and I was seeing someone else. You’ve met Nick’s friend Lance?” Amanda asked.

“Yes.”

“Lance is my ex husband, he basically married me because he didn’t want Nick to have me. He did love me at one point, and we are still friendly. He just went about it the wrong way. We dated in high school and college off and on. Nick was always just a friend but I never saw how much he loved me until much later. I wish I’d seen it sooner because we belong together. Something about us just makes sense. I love him.” Amanda said, smiling as they turned the corner. Lisa smiled back. As a fan she had heard part of the story of Nick ending up with his wife but he was a private person. He did not speak much about his family or personal business and a lot of the fans liked to speculate on why he was settling down at 26. They all thought he had only married Amanda because they had a baby together but Lisa could see from being around them how much in love the two of them were. She hoped she and Brian could have the same. Brian was quiet and she didn’t know if his feelings were as strong as hers, but she could picture herself marrying Brian one day. He was just always working and keeping busy even though he made time to see her when he could.




Amanda sat next to her in the car, thinking about the day Nick gave her the nightclub for her birthday.


“Nick, what are you doing here?”

Nick gave her the cupcake in his hand and laughed.

“You’re coming with me, I have a surprise for you.”

He took her downtown to a old musty building that had been vacant for quite a long time. A sign hung in the window indicating it had recently been sold and Nick opened the door, showing her inside.

“You’re not going to murder me here, are you?” Amanda joked as she took the place in. Nick made her face him and handed her the keys, then a envelope. He asked her to open it and her mouth fell open.

“Nick, you’re giving me a building for my birthday?”

He smiled at her, his eyes shining.

“I bought it for you to follow your dream. You helped me with mine. This is for your nightclub. The one you showed me in your business plan for that college project. Go for your dream, Amanda.”

Amanda was ecstatic about her gift until Lance had shot her down, and she had tried to return it.

“Nick, what if I fail? You’ll have wasted your money on me.”

“It’s not a waste to know I made you smile.” Nick said, hugging her.

Amanda never felt she deserved any of the things Nick gave her. He could have anything he wanted, but he had spent all this money to help her with her dream like she’d done for him. She was the one who pushed Nick to sing. So it was time for him to pay her back.


Nick had always had a knack for knowing just what would make Amanda happy and she loved that about him. He always put her before himself.




That night, Nick paced the room waiting for Amanda to get ready. He wore a nice suit, not a full tuxedo but dress pants and a dress shirt with a jacket. His hair was spiked up and he had put on some cologne, he was ready for a fun evening. Amanda was wearing a black dress made of some sparkly material that flared out at the bottom. Her hair was curled and put up.

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you for the dress.”

“Happy birthday baby.”

Nick and Amanda got to the club and Amanda got out, confused because Nick did not tell her they were going there. She assumed they were going out to dinner by themselves or something like that, because it seemed Nickish.

“Why are we here? It’s our night off. I thought we were going to eat.” Amanda asked. Nick laughed, helping her out of the car.

“You’ll see, baby.”

“You always do this,” Amanda laughed, following him into the club. When the doors opened, she was greeted with a room of people wearing nice clothes and filled with balloons in her favorite colors.

“SURPRISE!!!”

All of her friends and Nick’s friends were there. Brian, AJ, Skye...Lance...Joey..JC, Kevin, Lisa….Howie and even Nick’s bodyguard Mike. To her surprise, Amanda’s parents had come. Amanda was in shock because her mom hadn’t told her she was coming at all and when they came over to hug her, she was crying a bit. She had not seen them since the wedding and she missed them very much.

“Hi, Mom….Dad. When did you get here?”

“Nick told us it was a surprise party so your father and I did not want you to know we were here, but we got here last night. Nick is paying for the hotel for us, we wanted to be here for your birthday.” Linda said, hugging her daughter. Nick came over and hugged her as well because he also thought of Amanda’s parents as his own. Everyone settled down at the table across from the club entrance that was set up, chairs lining along in front of the stage.

“This is amazing, Nick, thank you.” Amanda said as she kissed him. They had a catered dinner of pasta and chicken, with wine. Everyone was having a great time and talking. Reminiscing of when Nick and Amanda were young, when it was obvious Nick was in love with her. It was the wedding reception all over again.

“I’m really surprised to see you, Lance. Usually you’re so busy with work.” Amanda noticed, eyeing him from across the table. He laughed, drinking his wine. She had not seen him around the house very much because he was so busy at his job that he and Nick didn’t hang out often.

“I took off from work...wouldn’t miss it. Nick insisted that I come, he wanted all of your friends here to celebrate you. He put a lot of work into this party, I hope you’re having a good time.”

“I definitely am.”

Nick took her hand and laughed, “You’re going to love what I’ve got for you after dinner then.”

As Amanda finished her second glass of wine, she had a feeling that she definitely would.