- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

the investigation begins

Julie watched as Jessica moved away from her office. Tessa had told her that morning that she was being sent on a mission which meant everyone else would be out of the building. She assumed that Jessica either thought she was on bed rest or had left to join Kevin. She made sure to wear soft soled shoes as she knew she would be sneaking through the halls after the woman who had stepped in and taken more control after Charles had been taken by Nick.

The only sound in the building was the click clack of Jessica's heels as she moved towards a hallway that Julie had never ventured down. She had to watch from a distance as there was no where for her to hide in the looming hall. She watched as Jessica moved out a door, sunshine broke through the fluorescent lit hallways.

When the door closed again, Julie made her way to the door and cautiously started to open it. She was stunned to see the door opened to an alleyway next to The Library. She'd seen it from the street but she never knew that there was a door leading to and from the basement levels of The Library down it.

She glanced up the alley and back down the alley but did not see Jessica. She sighed in frustration over losing the woman. She was about to turn back into the building when she caught a glimpse of the woman getting into a black limo that pulled in front of the alley. Julie made it out of the alley in time to see the limo take a left turn at the top of the street. “Damn,” She cursed. There was no way she was going to be able to follow the limo in time.

Annoyed with herself, she made her way back into The Library using the front entrance. She wasn't going to give up though. She didn't have enough time to be annoyed with herself for losing Jessica, she needed to find out what was going on. She walked in somewhat of a daze until she noticed she was standing in front of the older woman's office. She glanced around for Howie, then tried the door. It was locked so she pulled out the lock pick tools Kevin gave her, she always kept them with her. Too bad Nick knew about them and where she kept them, he had removed them from her person when he chained her up.

The thought of Nick made her shudder and focus more intently on her work. She couldn't think about what had almost happened between them. She needed to find that he was wrong so he could be brought in.

She heard the familiar click of the lock releasing and smiled as she pushed open the door. Looking around one more time, she made her way into the office and closed the door quietly behind her. She managed to find and switch on a desk lamp. The older woman's desk was neatly stacked. There were piles of completed missions, piles of missions that needed to be assigned and various other piles in regards to running the project. Julie always wondered how Charles had kept track of these things as his desk was always a mess.

Julie knew that she would have to be extra careful as she searched through Jessica's desk. If anything was out of place she knew that Jessica would know someone had been in her office. She made her way around to the back of the desk and started to look at the top items on both piles. One of the piles had Tessa's name on the top; Julie opened the file and peered at it. It outlined Tessa and Justin's mission. They had been sent to make sure that Lincoln went to Ford's Theater on the night of his assassination. She closed the file and smiled to herself.

“So she got to go further back then the 20th century,” Julie commented to herself as she looked for anything on the woman's desk that would indicate what she'd been up to or if she was the one being paid to change history. She sighed in frustration, did she expect a sticky note stating that information would be conveniently laying about for her to find?

Julie sat down on Jessica's chair and let her eyes sweep over the desk. Her eyes fell on a calendar peeking out from underneath one of the piles. Carefully she moved the pile off of the calendar and looked at the notations made by Jessica. There were several different appointments that were scheduled over the week. Julie looked at the current date and grinned. She listed the place that she was having her meeting and the time it was at. She was certainly glad that Jessica still kept a paper format of her schedule. She looked up at the clock and smiled, she still had time to get to the place of the meeting to see if there was anything going on that would show Jessica as the culprit.

Carefully she moved the files back onto the calendar and left the room. She made sure to lock the door behind her and she moved as far away from the room as she could before her heart started to beat at a normal pace.

“Julie, what are you up to?” Howie's voice came from behind causing her to jump.

“What makes you think I'm up to anything?” She asked, her heart beating a mile a minute again.

“I was asking what you were up to because everyone else is on a mission. Wondering what you are doing with your time.” Howie looked at her suspicious at her for her quick response.

“Oh, I was just thinking about going out and getting something to eat or possibly do some shopping.” She lied.

“Want some company?” He asked her much to her disappointment. Any other time she wouldn't mind company but today, obviously, she didn't want anyone else with her when she investigated one of the founders of the program for being on the take.

“Wait,” Howie held up his hand before she could answer. He pulled something out of his pocket, a cell phone probably, and looked at the screen. “No, I have something to take care of so I guess I am not available after all, sorry.” He smiled and patted her shoulder before turning and heading off in the opposite direction.

Julie let out the breath she'd been holding and started to walk in the direction she was heading in before running into Howie.

“Oh Julie,” His voice caused her to freeze. She slowly turned around to see Howie walking back towards her. “Kevin wanted me to give you this,” He held out a plastic card. “Luckily these are still accepted for now. One day we will have to fit you with a wrist chip.” He smiled as she took the card, a debit card.

She watched as he turned back around and headed to his own office. Howie being at The Library still helped reassure Julie that Howie and Jessica were not an item. She hoped it also meant that if Jessica was involved, that Howie was not. After he went into his office, she turned and ran up the stairs and out the front entrance of The Library and hailed a taxi.

She informed the driver where she wanted to go and sat back as the man drove through the city and pulled up in front of the restaurant Jessica was meeting someone at. Julie swiped her card to pay and made her way inside. She felt under dressed but the restaurant had no issues seating her. She convinced the host to give her a table where she was slightly hidden but could easily see Jessica.

She watched as Jessica talked with and laughed at the men around her at the table. Everyone was dressed in suits and ties; Jessica herself was in a black cocktail dress. She knew from interactions with the woman that she enjoyed the company of men very much, but Julie doubted the woman was on a date of any kind. Four men and one woman, though seemingly right up Jessica's alley, was not really a date situation.

Julie watched from behind her menu as a man pushed an envelope across the table to Jessica. It looked very full and Julie's mind instantly went thinking it was cash in the envelope. Though cash had almost become obsolete, it was still the only way to do dealings under the table. Julie didn't stink around any longer, she got up and walked out of the restaurant, she did not need to get caught there.

Julie made it back to The Library and went into her room. She sat down on the bed and wondered. Could it be that easy? Had she found the person taking money for changing history already? No, she couldn't be sure that it was what was going on. Jessica was in charge of the project in Charles' absence. She could have been receiving legitimate monies for the program. She needed to investigate further, she decided she should visit Howie before all the other volunteers returned.