- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Kevin wants answers but will he like them?

Kevin didn’t even bother knocking on Howie’s door as he barged into the man’s office. Julie trailed in behind wanting to know the answers and to see how Howie reacted to being accused. The one they went in search of was not in his office when they arrived. Kevin turned to look at Julie who only shrugged. She didn’t know what Kevin would want to do now that the man he was looking for was not where he thought he’d be.

“I saw a check over here,” She offered up the information in hopes that Kevin would look in the general area, they would find the check together and it would help him realize that one of his oldest friends was not who he said he was.

Kevin moved towards the stack of papers Julie indicated but threw up his hands. “Nothing,” He stated and took a seat. As if on cue, the door to Howie’s office opened and Howie came wandering in.

“Hello?” he questioned when he saw the two seemingly waiting for him. “To what do I owe this honor? Did Julie jump again? Do you need me to check her virus levels?” He asked. Julie noted a tone to his voice that she could only convey as excitement as he asked about her virus.

“No,” Julie was quick to add. “I haven’t jumped.” She eyed Kevin and hoped that she got her meaning. ‘Do not tell Howie about Nick and the virus.’

Kevin seemed to understand and tried to look as casual as he could. “Just visiting,” He tossed out.

“Kevin, I know you too well. You never ‘just visit’ my office.” Howie looked at his friend and then to Julie and back again. “What’s going on?” He asked as he caught the looks the two were sharing between each other.

“Julie mentioned something she saw when she was here.” Kevin lifted his hands as he shrugged his shoulders.

“The check?” Howie asked looking at Julie with a perplexed look. “What about it?” he turned back to Kevin as he asked.

“Are you doing any side projects that you are being paid extra for?” Kevin asked. Julie could see the struggle going on for Kevin in trying to form a question that could lead to the answer without blurting out that they knew someone inside the project was changing history for money.

“It was grant money.” He admitted.

“But the rejection letters,” Julie commented. She remembered seeing several letters rejecting Howie for any kind of money.

Howie blushed at the mention of those letters. “Yes, when I attempted grants for my own side projects I was rejected if Charles was not involved. I replied stating that Charles would very much be involved in all of my research and they sent the money.”

“Why are you embarrassed?” Kevin asked.

“What?” He asked looking at Kevin. “Why would you say that?”

“Howie, how long have we known each other?” Was all Kevin asked.

“Yes, of course. It’s embarrassing that I can’t get the funding unless I promise the help of another scientist who has no interest in my research. I am embarrassed because I lied to the company to get the funding.” Howie seeing Kevin’s face fall slightly at the mention of him lying quickly stated. “It’s important research!”

It was quiet for a short time as Julie watched Kevin process what he’d just heard. Julie knew that he believed him and trusted that his friend was not involved in the larger scheme going on at the project.

“I’m sorry to come at you about this Howie, but there is a reason.” Kevin stood and approached Howie.

“Kevin you can’t,” Julie started talking. “Not everyone could know what was going on, information could leak out and scare off those who are responsible.”

“What are you talking about?” Howie asked eyeing Julie suspiciously.

Julie sighed and threw up her hands as Kevin started to answer Howie’s question. “It seems there are a few people within that project that are receiving more funds than the others.” Kevin pulled out one of the pages of the ledger he’d been looking at to show Howie. Julie watched as the two men looked at the paper and Kevin showed the five accounts they found that were receiving excess funds.

“Well this account here,” Howie pointed to a number and motioned for Julie to come look at the paperwork. “This account is the one Charles and I share for grant monies.”

“Then why does the account receive regular amounts like all the other volunteers?” Julie asked pointing out the regular amounts that were the same amount that she received in her account monthly.

“Well, see we have a few sponsors that donate based on the amount of need. They will give us a certain amount based on how many volunteers we have working for us at any one time. If we do not have all positions filled they will cut us that volunteers “allowance” amount. Having this account set up keeps us from losing those funds that we use for project expenses, and in case we have a volunteer suddenly join up.” Howie added eyeing Julie.

“Oh,” Julie stated somewhat sheepishly. She had to admit, what he was saying made sense. Why would he be changing history anyway, Howie never went on missions. “You never go on missions do you?”

Howie shook his head. “No, I don’t even have the gene in my DNA to allow me to travel. Why?”

Julie mentally slapped herself. Howie didn’t know why they were questioning the extra surge of funds, they just asked about the check she saw. Nothing was mentioned about changing history to make extra cash. If he didn’t have the gene though, it couldn’t be him. Maybe Jessica was clear too if she did not have the gene either.

“Julie received a tip that there are a few people from within the project who are being paid to change history.” Kevin answered Howie’s question. “I’m sorry I had to tell him Julie we could use his help.” Kevin turned to Julie who was looking upset at him.

“Where did you get this information?” Howie rounded on Julie as he spoke.

Julie shook her head. “I’m afraid I can’t tell you that right now.” Julie raised her eyebrows and looked at Kevin, giving him a look that told him he shouldn’t say anything at this point either.

“So you’ve been told by someone, that volunteers inside the project have been changing history for money?” Howie spoke more to himself than to the two others in the room. “Can I see that page of the accounts that you showed me. I know a few of the numbers.”

Julie moved closer to Kevin and Howie as Kevin spread the paper out on the table in front of them again. Julie watched Kevin as Kevin watched Howie looking over the page. The thought of Kevin forever tore her apart inside. She had to find a way to cure the virus that was multiplying inside of her and would eventually kill her.

Kevin must have felt her eyes on him, he looked up and their eyes locked. He attempted a smile for her before looking back down at the page. Julie decided she would have to prove to Kevin that she loved him, that anything that went on between Nick and herself was nothing to what she felt for him.

“This account here,” Howie pointed to a number on the page. Julie looked down to see what he was pointing at. “This is my own personal account. See, nothing extra.” He traced his finger along the line to show the same amount being added to the account every time.

“This one here,” Howie pointed to a line, Julie followed it with her eyes. It was one of the five that received extra monies. Howie knew one of the culprits. “This one I know for sure belongs to Brian.”