- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I suppose he does deserve it, a little.

“Kevin!” Julie shouted as she rushed over in an attempt to pull them apart.  She was finding it difficult since Kevin had his entire weight pushed up against the other man.  Julie looked on in horror as Nick’s face started to turn blue.   Julie continued to try to pull them apart as Kevin started to speak.

“What are you playing at? Why can’t it be either of those two?” Kevin demanded to know.

Nick could only make sputtering noises in return, Kevin’s arm still firmly across his throat.

“Kevin, he can’t answer you; he’s going to pass out.” Julie looked up the man she loved, pleading with her eyes that he let Nick go.  

Kevin blinked a few times and shook his head, releasing Nick.  He let Nick fall to the ground and turned away from Julie rushing to Nick’s side to ensure he was doing okay.

“I’m fine.” Nick said as he stood up.   “I just don’t think it can be them.”  Nick said again.

“Why not?” Julie asked him this time.

Nick looked at Julie with pleading eyes.  “I can’t tell you, it is something I need to look into but it’s not them.”

Kevin turned around and glowered at the two of them standing so close together.  “You told Julie that someone inside the project was responsible.  Someone I work with everyday and trust with my life is taking advantage to better their own situations.   If I have to investigate people I trust then shouldn’t you have to investigate people that you think it couldn’t possibly be?”  Kevin’s voice was calm, but there was an edge to it that Julie knew he was keeping another outburst at bay.  “If you are so confident that it is not them, investigating them will not hurt.  Or are you afraid we will discover your spy?”

Nick shook his head.  “No,” He replied.   “You have a point.” He conceded.  Julie stood looking between the two.  With Kevin watching, Nick grabbed hold of her hand and started to pull her back towards the street.  “We will investigate.”  He said smugly.

As they passed, Kevin grabbed Julie’s other hand and pulled her closer to him.  “Julie can investigate with me.”

Julie pulled her hands out of the grip of each of the guys.  “I will investigate alone, you two can investigate together.” She said and stormed off.  She moved around the street keeping her face hidden as she watched for Tessa and Justin.   She saw the woman wandering around the area, obviously searching for someone.  When Tessa’s eyes flew in Julie’s direction she quickly turned away and busied herself looking at a newspaper nearby.      

Cautiously she turned her attention back to where Tessa was but the other woman was gone.  “Damn,” Julie cursed wondering if she’d been spotted or if Tessa had jumped.    She made her way over to the side of the street Tessa had been standing on only moments before.

“Excuse me,” She stopped a man who had been standing there but was not about to leave.  “Did you see a woman here just a minute ago?”

The man nodded his head.

“Did you see which way she went?” Julie hoped there was a direction, if he didn’t see where she went it was likely she jumped and Julie would have missed her opportunity to follow her any further.

“I think she went that way,” the man pointed to his left and Julie’s head whipped around to see if she could see any trace of Tessa before she headed in that direction.

“Are you sure?” She asked.

The man shrugged and started walking in the opposite direction that he’d pointed Julie in.  Out of instinct Julie followed the man instead of going in the direction he led her in.  As she walked her eyes fell on Kevin as he attempted to blend into the crowd.  Julie was glad that the streets of New York had a steady stream of people as it made it easy to follow the man.

“Did you see the date?” Nick asked her rubbing his hands together.

Julie nodded. She caught the date on the newspaper when she averted her face from Tessa, December 8th, 1980.  “Should I know it?” She asked.

“I’d think you’d know the date more than I would since you were born in the eighty’s,” Nick commented making sure she knew he was giving her a hard time about technically being older than him.

“Are you going to tell me or do I have to wait for the event to happen?” Julie glanced at Nick before moving around a slow moving pedestrian.

“It’s the day Lennon was shot.” Nick said somberly in a hushed tone.

“What?” Julie stopped and looked at Nick. 

Nick nodded and pulled her arm to get her to start walking again.  She could tell there was some hesitation in how he was walking.  He wanted to go where they were headed, Julie was almost sure now that they were headed in the direction that the assassination would happen. 

Julie and Nick stopped when they rounded a corner and saw the hundreds of people already standing around.  “It happened.”  Julie whispered. 

“Yup,” Nick replied.  They stood in silence watching the crowd of people crying over the loss. 

Julie could feel Kevin come up from behind her and place his hands on her shoulders.  “We should get going.” He said.

“They didn’t change anything.” Julie whispered.  “It can’t be them.”   She said as she turned to look at Kevin.  He shrugged, she could tell he wasn't entirely convinced yet. 

“Let’s get out of here.” Kevin wrapped his arm around Julie and they started to walk off.  Julie stopped and looked back at Nick.

“Are you coming?” She asked him.

He stood there; shoulders slumped just staring at the scene in front of them.  “You go back with Kevin.  Steph is here; I will contact her and go back with her.  There are a few things I want to look into before I leave anyway.”  He continued to stand there.  He didn’t even bother to say good-by to them as they walked away.

“Something is wrong with him.” Julie spoke as Kevin and Julie walked along a distance from Nick.

“Who cares,” Kevin grumbled.  “I should be going back there and grabbing him and taking both of you back with me.”

“Kevin you know we need his help to find Charles and you know you want to find out who is behind this too.” Julie wrapped her arms around his one as they strolled. 

“I just get the feeling there is more between you two than you are letting on.”  Kevin stated looking down at her as they walked.

Julie could feel her cheeks turn red and she hoped he would just think that it was the cool air giving her rosy cheeks.  “Let’s just get home and figure out whom to follow next.” 

Kevin nodded and when they reached an alley a good distance away from the crowds, Kevin dialed his device and Julie clung to him as they jumped.  She was pleased when she realized she did not feel the pain or nausea she’d been feeling during her jumps with Nick and made a mental note to tell Howie when she got a chance. 

They walked in silence back to their room, Julie needed to prove to Kevin that there was nothing between her and Nick, despite her desire to touch him, to kiss him, every time they were near each other. 

“Kevin, listen, about Nick,” Julie started talking.

“There you two are,” Howie’s voice interrupted her.  They turned to face Howie who was looking at them, a mixed look of concern and anger on his face. 

“Howie, there was something I wanted to discuss with you.” Julie smiled, glad to see the man.

“Do you want to tell me why you two have gone rogue?” Howie blurt out.