- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Julie's heart decides

“What are you talking about Howie?” Kevin demanded to know. Julie could only stand there staring at the man who just accused them of being the ones to change history. They are the ones that told him it was happening.

“I spoke with Jessica on the matter.” Howie started.

“Why did you tell her, she's one of the ones I think is behind it,” Julie blurted out before realizing that she hadn't mentioned that to Howie. Julie threw her hands up in frustration and looked to Kevin for help but he was being silent. Julie had only seen Kevin silent when upset one other time and it was worse than if he was yelling. Julie hated to her him yell but she would take that over his silence any day.

“Did you think I wouldn't discuss it with her? With Charles missing she's in charge and you are accusing other volunteers of being paid to change history. I couldn't leave her out of an accusation like that, you should know that Kevin.”

“So because you talked to her she convinced you that we are behind it? Don't you think that in itself is odd?” Julie stood with her hands on her hips, both she and Kevin made sure to stay a distance away. Julie's eyes darted around every so often, if Howie was accusing them there had to be someone around that was ready to take them to holding cells. She saw all too often, where the project was concerned, you were guilty until proven innocent.

Howie held up his hands as if he knew what Julie was thinking. “I wish I wasn't accusing you but Jessica has told me of the way that rogue volunteers are recruiting now and it seems you have fallen for it.” He shook his head and took a step closer; Kevin held his arm in front of Julie and took a step back. “It seems they recently turned another volunteer in the same manner, they told the volunteer that someone inside the project was dirty and they turned away from the project and joined with the rogue volunteers. Kevin, you know we ceased recruiting new volunteers, it turns out this was one of the reasons.”

“We are not working for the rogue volunteers,” Julie shot out at the man.

Howie didn't even look at her. “Kevin, you aren't in trouble. You just need to stop what you are doing and explain what happened. I told Jessica that I wanted to let you two know so you could stop, I told her that if you knew you would end it and tell us who was really behind it.”

“What about the evidence we showed you? You saw the accounts.” Kevin's voice was stead as he talked with his friend but all Julie could think was that it was about time he spoke up. She could feel the muscles in Kevin's arm tense, she knew he had a plan and it would happen fast when it did happen.

“Falsified evidence,” Howie replied without missing a beat almost as if he'd prepared the answer before confronting them. “We only want to find out who is trying to recruit you, who told you the story so that we can put a stop to this.”

“Howie, I believe Julie, I believe someone inside the project is making changes for payment and I will not rest until I get to the bottom of it.” Kevin wrapped his arm through Julie's and she started to wonder when Kevin would act.

Howie approached the duo and started to reach out to grab a hold of Julie. Julie knew that if Howie could capture her he'd have more of a chance of detaining Kevin. “I really must insist.”

Before Julie could really understand what was happening, Kevin swung around to face her and pulled her close and soon they were no longer standing inside the halls of the project. Kevin had jumped them away.

“Kevin what were you thinking?” Julie asked pushing him away. She was thankful she was out of there but also concerned about how it would look. “It looks like we are guilty now.”

“I refuse to be accused of something I am not a part of. I will not go back until we have the person behind the changes so we can prove our innocence. And Nick too,” His voice came out like a snarl when he said Nick's name. Kevin stepped closer and pulled Julie into a hug. “We will do this.” He whispered reassuringly before Julie pulled away.

“How can they think we are changing history, that we've been recruited to the rogue volunteers?” Julie asked. She couldn't understand how Howie would think that of either of them considering all they went through not that long ago with Nick.

“We are working with a rogue volunteer though,” Kevin spoke not even trying to hide the detest in his voice at the mention of working with Nick.

“I shouldn't have gotten you involved,” Julie spoke moving back towards Kevin and pulling him close. “I should have looked into this on my own and left you out.” her voice was little more than a whisper as she tried to comfort Kevin though it was really her that needed the comforting if she'd let herself admit it.

Kevin shook his head and kissed her forehead. “No, I'm glad you brought me in. I want to know who is behind this just as badly. That and when this is over I intend to bring Nick in, you know that.” There was a determination to Kevin's voice that almost scared Julie, she knew that Kevin would not forgive Nick as easily as she seemed to have done but there seemed to be more to his hostility than just hate for trying to kill them both. “At least we are together.” He told her smiling.

Julie shrugged away from Kevin when he attempted to move closer to kiss her. She felt his muscles tense with the rejection.

“There is something going on between you and Nick isn't there?” He asked but Julie knew it wasn't a question so much as a statement. One look at Julie's face must have told him what he wanted. He turned away from her and ran his hand through his hair. They stood their silently for awhile until Kevin finally turned around and approached her taking both of her hands.

“If you want him, just let me know now so I can start tell my heart to release you.” Julie looked into his green eyes and the sadness in them. It was similar to the sadness she remembered seeing when she saw him older in twenty forty-five, was this why? Did she break his heart? No, she knew she did not do that, she loved him and never wanted to be without him so why was she messing around with Nick?

“I will be honest with you Kevin, I have no idea what is going on between him and me. When I am around him I want nothing more than to be with him,” Kevin looked away from her and started to pull away but Julie would not release him for her grip. “But I know, even then that there is no one I want to be with more than you. I have no idea what is going on between us but I love you.”

Julie pulled Kevin's arms around her and waist and looked down so that she was looking in his eyes and repeated herself. “I love you,” she emphasized before kissing him.

Julie's heart fluttered happily when she felt Kevin return her kiss and bring her closer. Julie felt at peace in that moment, something she'd hadn't felt since she'd been injected by Steph and found out Nick lived. She knew her heart was made up and nothing would change it now, no matter how strong the pull to Nick, her heart would forever belong to Kevin.