- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Burn baby burn...

“You are lucky to get to see such things,” Tessa told Julie as she helped her don her Egyptian linen dress. Julie was uncomfortable in the dress, even though her breasts were covered with this particular style she still could not wear her bra at all and it was driving her slightly crazy. She looked at her feet, at least they weren't in heels for this trip.

“I wouldn't call it lucky to watch the Library of Alexandria burn,” Julie sighed. “I understand that it happened so it needs to stay that way but...sometimes.” Julie dropped it. She had to fight the side of her that had agreed with Nick and his ideas about correcting history, it was an internal fight, she knew it would be pointless to bring it up with Kevin.

Tessa quickly stitched the shoulder of Julie's outfit so the strap would not fall down on her. “But to see Alexandria in the time of Cleopatra,” Tessa sighed.

Julie laughed lightly at her friend. “How many times have you seen Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor in it?”

Tessa dropped her hands and walked away to grab some jewelry. “Honestly, never have seen it. I studied Egyptian history from the time I was a little girl. I have always been fascinated with it.”

Julie turned and looked at Tessa, taking her hands. “Tessa I'm sorry, I just thought... the way you sighed...”

“It's fine.” She gave the jewelry to Julie to put on.

Julie left the room feeling a little down about how she acted with Tessa but she had a mission to complete. She looked down at her outfit, she could make out the outline of her thighs with every movement, the color of her skin apparent under the light material. She sighed when she realized she would not be able to get away with wearing a belt around her thigh for this mission.

She reached the jump room to see Kevin speaking with Jessica. She couldn't hear what they were saying but both of them smiled at her when they saw her enter.

“Now that is a dress,” Jessica smiled holding out Julie's arms to get a better look. Jessica turned to Kevin and in a teasing tone said, “If I were you I'd take her back to your room and have my way with her before jumping.” She turned back and winked at Julie before finding her way out.

Julie raised her eyebrows as she looked at Kevin wearing his kilt. “Nice legs,” she whistled at him before moving to the table to see what items they might want to take with them. “Where am I supposed to hide anything with this outfit?”

Now it was Kevin's turn for his eyes to travel up and down her body. “I see what you mean,” he smirked, his eyes twinkling as he turned back to the table. “I guess you won't be taking anything which means you can't leave me behind and run off on your own.”

Julie rolled her eyes, “I guess you better be prepared to keep up then,” She grabbed her device and set it for the approximate time that Julius Caesar burned his ships which lead to the accidental burning of the Library of Alexandria. Lifting her eyebrows quickly at Kevin she pushed the button with a smirk on her face.

After arriving she looked around at all the varying clay homes. She was standing on the terrace of one of the the taller houses in the city and gasped at the sight of the city spread out before her. The sun was full in the sky shining down on the city in all it's glory. It was hard to believe this city and the Egyptian way of life would cease, the last of the Pharaohs was now on the throne.

She jumped slightly when she felt Kevin wrap his arms around her. He had been quiet when he arrived. His arms felt good wrapped around her and she leaned into him. “Beautiful,” She muttered.

“Mmmm,” he responded kissing the top of her head. “We should get going,” He said the words but still held Julie tight. They stood there for several more minutes before Kevin let go of her, grabbed hold of her hand and walked out onto the streets of Alexandria. They tried to blend in, their clothing did a reasonable job of it, but with the war hanging over the city, hardly anyone was on the streets. Julie made a mental note to visit the city during another time, she would like to see the streets full of people going about their daily lives.

When they arrived closer to the palace they were turned away and sent back from where they came. Julie knew that Caesar used a bold tactic against the Egyptian fleet by sending in fire ships and that the fire from some of these ships would work it's way inland and destroy some of the buildings including the library.

“How are we supposed to see if there is a rogue volunteer around if we can't even get close to the palace?” Julie asked out loud but didn't really ask the question to Kevin, she was just thinking aloud.

“Let's hope that Ptolemy keeping people away is a sign that he is keeping everyone away. Perhaps the rogue will not be able to get closer either.” She could see Kevin straining to see if he could see anything going on around the palace but if he saw anything he wasn't sharing it with Julie.

They stood their watching, they couldn't do anything else and if Kevin felt like Julie, it was a hopeless feeling. When she heard panic coming from the direction of the docks past the palace she and Kevin took off to see if they could managed to get closer with the other curious eyes headed that direction.

She stood back away from any danger as she saw the first fire boat entering the harbor, it crashed into another boat and soon that ship was alight with flames. Another fire boat came sailing into the harbor colliding with two ships from the Egyptian fleet. More boats a flame sailed into the harbor and collided into ships. The fire burned hot, Julie could feel the heat from the burning ships from where she stood. The Egyptian sailors and a few other captains could be seen rushing about trying to do something, anything to stop the from losing all the ships in the harbor.

Julie strained her eyes watching the buildings in the area, it wasn't the ships she was concerned about watching, she was watching the building she assumed was the library. She gasped as she watched the flames leap from the ship onto the building, lighting it fairly easily.

A few people from the crowd watching surged forward and made their way to the building. They bravely ran inside and started coming back out, their arms full of scrolls. Others moved forward to help, either douse the flames or save the scrolls.

“That's that then,” Kevin spoke at her side. She hadn't even seen him return to her side. “It's burning, we can leave. Our intel was a false lead. Charles isn't going to be happy, he was so sure that one of the rogue volunteers was going to be in this location attempting to stop this.”

“Can we watch a little longer?” Julie asked, surprised at herself for wanting to watch this building burn. She felt it was her duty to see how it panned out, to see how the fires were quenched.

“Julie,” Kevin had hold of her hand tugging her away from the scene. “Don't do this to yourself.” She looked at the building one last time and then turned to walk back with Kevin. They had to push against the crowd that had formed to watch.

“I wanted to run in there and help to put the fire out or save some of the scrolls.” She admitted.

“So did I,” Kevin's voice rang out in the relatively quiet streets.

They walked back to the house that they jumped into. Julie assumed it was a house that somehow the project obtained since it was empty when they arrived and it was empty now. Julie walked out onto the terrace she stood on when she first arrived and stretched herself to see the fires still burning. She felt Kevin come out and stand next to her. There they stood, watching, until they could no longer see any more flames.

Chapter End Notes:

NOTE: Initial reports in history stated that Caesar burned the library when he sent burning boats into the Egyptian harbor as an attack move against Ptolemy XIII but later researchers noted that the library was nowhere near the harbor. It is believed that the library was actually destroyed 20 – 25 years after this attack. I used this version for a better flow to the story. :)