- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Oh no he didn't...

Nick and Julie arrived before Kevin, their hands lingering together as they waited.  It wasn’t until Nick gave her hand a squeeze that Julie felt the heat from his hand and pulled away.  

“I wasn’t making a move; you made yourself clear in Hawaii.” Nick turned away from her as Kevin appeared. 

“So where is this meeting place we are supposed to be heading to?” Kevin asked.  Julie turned to him and pulled out the paper she had written down that Erika told her.  It hadn’t taken long to get a response back from AJ after they sent the message Erika outlined to them.  He was probably relieved thinking she hadn’t been taken. 

“She said that they meet in the modern art wing of the art museum here.” Julie looked around for a clock on a nearby corner.  “We are a few hours early, it should give us plenty of time to get there and find places to wait for him.” 

They started walking around the streets of Denver in silence.  With the signs pointing out different buildings in the city it didn’t take long for them to find the museum.  “Well I guess we know which area is the modern art wing.” Nick said as they looked up at the building.

One side of the museum looked almost like a castle in design, complete with the slits for windows in the turret that loomed in front of them.  The other side of the building, linked with a covered walkway that crossed the street, was glass in appearance with sharp looking edges.  

“That is ugly,” Julie muttered to herself as they headed into line to pay for admittance.

“It’s free resident Saturday,” the attendant at the window smiled them. 

“We are visiting from out of town,” Kevin murmured as he pulled out the bills to pay for admittance.  The place was going to be packed if it was free resident day, Julie didn’t know if that would aid or hinder them in their capture of AJ.

The group entered the museum and found their way to the walkway to the modern art wing.  When they entered Julie had to grab hold of the rope that lined the wall put there for the visitors that felt off center as they walked.

“What the fuck,” Nick muttered as he almost fell walking.

“Optical illusion,” Kevin groaned as he held Julie’s free hand, she wasn’t sure if it was to help her walk or so that he could walk in a straight line.   The walls were askew in the room narrow at the base and wide at the top.  Julie was starting to feel a little ill as they walked and she let out a sigh of relief when they got out of the walkway and into the room that held the works of Impressionism.

“I am going to move further in,” Nick leaned in close to Julie to tell her.  She could feel Kevin glare at Nick before he moved away.

Julie smacked Kevin lightly.  “Stop it,” She told him.   They moved around looking at the artwork in the room.  The museum didn’t have anything on a grand scale but being located where they were she didn’t supposed they had the opportunity to acquire any major artworks. 

Kevin stayed close to Julie as they looked around the art.  They made their way into another room and passed Nick in the process.  Nick acknowledged them discreetly as they passed.    Julie shook her head at the artwork in the next room.  She could never understand modern art, it wasn’t her thing.  She liked Impressionism well enough but anything beyond that was lost on her.  She was looking at a lesser known Andy Warhol piece when Kevin spoke startling her slightly.

“We’ve been here an hour past the time they were supposed to meet up and I haven’t seen him.”

Julie sighed and hoped that Erika hadn’t given them false information.  Nick and Kevin had actually agreed to separate Erika from AJ in time if the lead did not pan out. Julie hoped that her friend had given them information they could trust, for her sake.

“Wait,” Kevin started.  “I see him.”  He took hold of Julie’s hand and started to pull her through the building to where AJ was.  They stood behind one of the pillars with art around it and listened to him talking.  He was talking to Nick.

Kevin motioned for her to stay where she was; he was going to go around to cut him off from leaving. Julie nodded and stood pretending to take in the painting in front of her.  She had no clue as to what it was supposed to be, it looked like globs of paint to her.

“Nick, I always knew you were alive.”  Julie was surprised that Nick managed to convince him to talk to him and not run.  Last time they were around each other Nick was being an ass to AJ as he slaved away in a Roman villa.

“Can’t kill me,” Nick chuckled.  “I heard you are still changing history and getting paid for it.”

“It’s a sweet deal.  Have you reconsidered and want to join in?  I’m sure we can figure out a way to get you a cut.”

“You know I can’t.” Nick replied.  “In fact, I’m not sure I see much of a point of changing history at all anymore.  I keep thinking that by trying to change history you are only causing the events to happen.”  Julie wondered if he was talking about her and Kevin, he already admitted he felt he was the reason they were together now.

“Then what’s the deal if we make some money out of it.  Shit, if we are supposed to be doing these things for history to actually happen right then we might as well get paid to do what we are supposed to be doing anyway.” 

“You are making sense to me.”  Julie couldn’t believe what Nick was saying.  Was he going to join with AJ, was she going to have to hunt both of them down after today.  She waited to her Nick mention that she and Kevin were there to take him in, to warn AJ that they were there to take him in. 

Julie watched as Nick and AJ continued to talk about changing history. Nick wanted to know the financials behind it and AJ readily told him.  Julie let out a small gasp as she saw Kevin approaching AJ from behind and before she knew it Kevin had a hold of AJ’s writs removing his device.

“Fuck!” AJ screamed. Several parents around glared at him and Julie came out from behind the art she work she was behind.

“We have Erika,” Julie mentioned.

“What did you do to her to get her to talk you bastards?” He spit, he actually spit, at Kevin.

“We didn’t have to do anything, she willingly turned you over.” Kevin said with a sneer purposely trying to make AJ think that his fiancé had turned him over to the volunteers.

“In exchange,” Julie spoke loudly, “for released in the future where the gene to jump through time will be removed.  You will be together but unable to change history any further.”

AJ was fighting and making a scene so they started to leave the museum. 

Nick moved closer to Julie as Kevin escorted AJ out telling people that he was security as they left.  “I got it all.” He smirked at her. 

She wanted to kiss those lips but caught herself and instead asked him, “What?”

He took out a tape recorder.  “Got his confession on here.  This should be enough to prove you and Kevin are innocent.”

“Thanks,” She blushed as she took the device from Nick.  “That was thoughtful.”

“Yah well…” He muttered.

It wasn’t long before the group of four was back at the safe house with Charles and Steph.  AJ was allowed to see Erika with Kevin and Steph in the room.

“Should we just take them now?” Julie asked Charles after showing him the tape Nick recorded.

“Yes,” was his simple answer.

Nick and Julie headed into the room where Erika was crying in AJ’s arms apologizing for turning him in.  He was comforting her and saying he didn’t care, she did the best thing. 

“Let’s go,” Nick said taking hold of AJ.  Julie moved to take hold of Erika. Julie wasn't sure how the other two would travel with them but she trusted that they would and waited for Nick to trigger his device so they would travel through time.

Julie was happy to see that Erika was still next to her when they arrived. She looked around in amazement and could tell that Erika was gazing in wonderment as well. Nick had told her the year but it was hard to believe how different it all looked a mere thirty years further than the furthest she had been, twenty seventy-five.

Nick had patted AJ down to ensure that he did not have another device and he'd moved on to Erika.

“You just have to touch every woman don't you Carter,” AJ scoffed.

Nick looked up at Julie and rolled his eyes but she could see the smirk he had on his face as he continued.

“Okay, you two have fun.” He said as he pulled Julie away from them.

“So they will just fix us here?” Erika asked in astonishment.

“This was the hospital that fixed me up.” Nick pointed to the large glass building next to them. “They'll fix you too.” That said he pulled out a revolver and fired two shots, one at AJ and one at Erika before triggering his device and pulling Julie back in time.