- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

information sharing

“Julie you haven't even been here a year, as much as I like you and your determination I cannot in good conscience let you interrogate the rogues that we have in our cells,” Jessica was sitting behind Charles' desk in his absence which was making Julie slightly unnerved. Kevin was standing next to her, neither one of them sat when Jessica asked them to.

Julie rubbed her eyes and looked at Kevin hoping he would have backed her up. “Jessica, I understand all of that but with everyone searching for Charles I feel it would be better if we ask our guests about it. Who knows one of them might have a lead.” Julie tried one last time to plead her case. Kyle was hiding something, whether it was about Charles' disappearance or about Steph she didn't know but she needed to know either way.

Jessica shook her head. “I will interrogate them,” She stated with finality.

Julie looked over at Kevin but he kept his eyes fastened on Jessica. She let out a groan of frustration and got out of the room as fast as she could.

She stormed back to her room and threw herself onto her bed. Staring at the ceiling she let her mind wander trying to figure out what she was going to do, how she was going to find out the information she needed. She decided she was just going to chance it, she was going to talk to Kyle and hopefully she would get the information she needed before Jessica realized what she was doing.

She rolled off the bed and and grabbed her journal that contained all of the information she had accumulated about Steph and her possible whereabouts. She traveled down the hall and looked all around making sure that no one was near when she opened the door to the holding rooms.

She stood at the plexiglass of Kyle's cell and drummed her fingers on the glass. “Kyle,” she called out. “I'll let you go if you give me what I want,” She held her breath. It was a risky gamble and she knew she could get in serious trouble but she hoped the information she got from him would be worth it.

Kyle was sitting up looking at her. “How do you have the authority...”

“I don't,” She interrupted. “I already told you I think Steph is behind Charles' disappearance. I also think since Nick is gone that she is the glue holding your little group together. I want her, not you.”

Kyle stood in front of her with the glass between them. Julie could see the dried spot where he'd spit at her earlier. “You would just let me leave?”

Julie nodded and held up her device. “You can have it if you give me useful information.”

Kyle licked his lips as he looked at the device. Julie knew he was debating it internally. If he stayed here he risked losing his memories, if he gave up the information she wanted he risked Steph's wrath. “How do I know you will honor your deal?” He asked.

“You will have to trust me,” She swung the device back and forth in front of his face. His eyes followed it like a dog following a meaty treat.

Without taking his eyes from the device Kyle questioned her. “But you killed Nick, how do I know you simply won't kill me too?”

Julie cocked her head and started to put the device in her pocket. “I guess if you aren't sure...”

“Wait,” He held out his hand indicating her wanted her to stop putting the device in her pocket. “I'll give you what you want.”

“There's a good boy,” Julie knew she was becoming dangerously close to being degrading but she hoped Kyle's desire to keep his memories and past would make him look past the inflections in her tone.

“She told a group of us that she was going to finish what Nick started before he was killed before his time,” Kyle glared at her. Julie shrugged her shoulders at his comment and waited for him to continue. “She's been there integrating herself with the doctor's staff.”

Julie tried to keep her face impassive as she let what Kyle was telling her register. “You are telling me that after Steph escaped from our holding cells that she went back to Germany nineteen eighteen to finish what Nick started with Hitler or his doctor?”

“His doctor, yes.”

Julie's ears burned with anger as she thought back to the days after Kevin was shot, volunteers had been sent back to Germany to see if Nick ever showed again. They were still there after Steph escaped, she was sure they were asked to look for her too. If she was there and they hadn't noticed. She thought back trying to remember who had been assigned to Germany. She couldn't remember the volunteers that were sent there but they obviously did not do their jobs if that is where Steph went.

“What was Nick's mission, the mission that she now wants to complete?”

Kyle shrugged. “I told you where she was, there was nothing in the deal about giving that information up as well.” He held his hand out waiting for her to slide the device through the slot that his food was delivered through.

“I told you I would give it to you if you provided me with useful information. Sure you told me where she went but I need to know what she has planned so that I can stop her, have a better chance of capturing her.” Julie crossed her arms across her chest. She could hear footsteps in the hall. If she didn't get her information soon she would have to leave with the information she did get already but she didn't want him to know that she was pressed for time.

Kyle stood looking at her for a few seconds before he caved. “She is going to stop the doctor from curing him.”

“That's it?” Julie questioned. It seemed like such a minute detail to mess with.

Kyle nodded his head. “That's it.”

Julie sighed, she could hear voices now. She had to leave with plenty of time, she couldn't be seen or they would put two and two together and figure out that she was the one who helped Kyle escape and then she might be rooming in his former cell.

Julie shoved the device through the slot and left the room quickly. She managed to turn down one of the side hallways before she saw Jessica and Kevin walk into the room with the holding cells. She could hear Jessica's raised voice. Kyle had taken no time leaving. She held her breath as she continued down the hall to her own room again. She hoped that neither one of them had seen her.

She opened her journal as she walked and read some notes she'd taken on Steph. She'd started as a volunteer shortly after Nick was given displaced persons to look for. She was his main researcher so they worked closely. When Nick left, Steph refused to believe what others were saying about him. Nobody was sure when she defected since she was working as an inside informant for Nick.

She reached her room and threw her journal down on top of her desk. She sat down and wrote on one of the blank pages. She wrote what Kyle just told her, then she wrote a note to Kevin telling him where she was going. She couldn't tell him what she'd done to get the information, she had to finish this herself. She would deal with the consequences after she captured Steph.

She sighed to herself and looked around her room before she got up to get ready to head back to the time she almost lost Kevin, back to Germany nineteen eighteen.