- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A reason to be thankful for Wayne Newton and NOT AGAIN!!

Julie opened the door to the clothing room and looked around for Tessa. She had once confessed to Julie that she was glad when she was brought in to care for the clothes, that she felt at home with the clothing. It's like it was in her blood. A flash of concern for Tessa flitted through her head before she found the rack of clothes that she would need for her next jump.

She pulled the dress over her head, the same dress she wore six months ago. Memories of that day coming back to her. Seeing Kevin on the ground bleeding, Nick preparing to jump. Her own reaction to shoot Nick shocked both of them. She could see it in his eyes as he realized what had happened. Julie found the shoes and cringed, the shoes she stole from Steph that day. They fit well enough but they pinched her feet plus they had heels. Sighing heavily to herself she crammed her feet into the shoes and made her way to the jump room.

Julie pushed open the door and immediately went for the elastic belts to strap to her thigh. Since she had also grabbed a purse she had the room to take a few extra items with her for this jump. She knew she should not be going alone. Howie had made it clear after her stabbing and Kevin's shooting that all jumpers should be accompanied. He didn't know that she'd been sneaking out to look for Steph alone. Kevin knew, and as much as it annoyed him, he couldn't do anything about it for months. He tried to get her to promise that when he was better she would take him with her always. He was busy and she needed to go now, what if Steph was made aware of Kyle being captured and afraid he would give up information she jumped away?

After throwing some currency into her purse she grabbed a device off of the wall and attached it. She dialed the date and location, being careful to ensure that it was after she had returned the first time. She pressed the button to jump and was soon standing in an all too familiar alley. She glanced around seeing the crowbar about where she dropped it after smacking Steph upside the head with it. Julie smiled at the memory and made her way out onto the main street towards the hospital making sure to tuck her device away in the belt before she moved out of the alley.

As she approached she saw soldiers standing guard. She hadn't thought how she would get past them, she didn't even know any German. She moved along, walking past them. Maybe she could find another entrance.

She wandered down familiar streets and found her way onto the street where Nick disappeared for good, where Kevin was shot. She walked around looking for anything. Nick was in this area for a reason after he had been turned away by the guards. Julie looked up towards the building but could not see another way to get inside.

She pulled her coat tighter around her and turned to start back. She would find a hotel for the night and figure out how to get to Steph in the warmth of the indoors. Julie wandered down the streets and cursed at herself. She didn't even know enough German to figure out which building was the hotel. “Damn,” she mumbled and kept wandering. She walked through streets finding a market where she found a few items to eat. While she purchased them she attempted to communicate with the woman behind the counter that she was looking for a place to sleep. She pressed the palms of her hands together and lay her head on them. The woman behind the counter smiled and began to speak rapidly in German, pointing in a direction. That was the only information she got out of the conversation so she smiled and nodded to the woman then left.

Julie walked in the direction the woman pointed but with no luck. She could not find what building the woman was referring to. So, she tried again with a random person walking down the street. She stopped them and pressed the palms of her hands together again. The person pointed to a building next to them and quickly ran away from her. It was only natural after the end of a war to be wary of strangers, she couldn't blame them.

She entered the building and put some currency on the counter. The man nodded and took her upstairs to a room that was decorated in only a bed and a desk. She smiled and thanked the man in one of the few German phrases she knew “Danke schoen.” The man turned to leave, closing the door behind him as she thanked Wayne Newton silently in her head.

She sat down on the bed and looked out the lone window hoping she would be able to see the hospital from where she was. No luck. She sighed and leaned against the wall thinking.

“How am I going to get in there?” she asked herself out loud. “How am I going to find her?” She stood and watched the people on the street below coming and going. She started to unbutton her coat but the familiar site of Steph stopped her. She quickly ran out of the room and down the stairs searching the streets for the woman she just saw.

She caught sight of the coat she remembered seeing Steph wearing as she watched from the window and started to follow the woman. The woman she followed weaved through the streets with ease, Julie had troubles keeping up.

When she rounded a corner she was thrown off balance as she avoided an arm jutting out to hit her.

“I thought I smelled you,” Steph hissed as she swung her arm towards Julie again.

“You really didn't learn from last time?” Julie fired back. “I seem to recall a broken wrist and a very bruised face.”

“That won't happen again,” Steph crouched low to the ground and swept her foot out at Julie, catching her off guard she soon found her ass on the ground.

Julie jumped back up and threw her own punch at Steph, catching her in the side of her gut immediately followed by a kick to her right knee. “You sure about that?” Julie asked as the other woman backed away to regroup.

Steph charged at Julie swinging her arms wildly at her, aiming for any and every part of her body. Julie put her arms up to block most of the hits, a few managed to make it through, one to her kidney and another to her left shoulder. Julie ducked down to avoid another hit, this time she swept her leg out and knocked Steph over.

She moved to grab a hold of Steph, to return with her but Steph managed to roll out of the way. She reached inside of her pocket and pulled something out. Steph's hand was closed tightly around the item, Julie was unable to see what it was.

Julie sighed when Steph ran at her again. “You've got to be kidding me,” She blurted out as she prepared to defend herself. Those hours of training with Kevin definitely were paying off today. Steph threw her left arm out towards Julie, easy to block but what Julie didn't see was Steph's right arm flying towards her arm jabbing something onto her neck. She did not feel a needle but she knew she'd been injected with something. She felt woozy and stumbled backwards.

Steph put the item back in her pocket and walked slowly, taunting Julie. “Good luck,” Steph smirked and then turned to leave the alley, quickly dissolving back into the crowd on the streets only a few feet away.

Julie clutched at her neck where she'd felt the substance enter her body. She rubbed her neck and attempted to stand. She would go back to the hotel and regroup. When she got to her feet she immediately fell back down. Pain filled her stomach, at the same time she felt the urge to purge the small contents she'd eaten a short time ago.

“Fuck,” She yelled out as the pain overcame her and she found herself jumping from the streets of Germany nineteen eighteen without the aid of the device still securely tucked inside the belt on her thigh.