- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I originally started this a couple of years ago but neglected it, but now I'm all ready to carry on! I've made some alterations, hopefully for the best.  Hope you enjoy :)

Also wanted to add that this story is inspired by various movies and real life events.

 

Chapter 1

February 1943

Tampa, Florida

 

 

 

Nickolas Gene Carter wasn’t just a chef at his parent’s busy diner; his talents stretched way beyond flipping burgers in a hot kitchen. He also liked to write - especially poetry - in his spare time, often quoting it to the waitresses, much to their delight. He dreamed of getting out of the small seaside town he’d lived all of his life and seeing something of the world.

He was the kind of guy that everyone seemed to like and all the local girls wanted to date. At just over six foot with the classic American boy next door good looks, he probably could’ve picked any girl he wanted, but he only had eyes for his girlfriend Emily, whom he’d been dating for a few months.

“Hey baby, you ready to go?” he asked when she answered the door. Her parents lived in an impressive house and he hoped one day to be able to provide her with the kind of life she was accustomed to. He knew that working in his parent’s diner wouldn’t be enough for that though.

“Sure, let me just grab my purse” Emily flashed him a dazzling smile and turned to pick up her purse from the hall table.

“Don’t be late” her mother called as Emily rushed out the door.

“Don’t worry Mrs Ryan, I’ll have her back safely” Nick assured her as Emily put her arm through his and they turned to leave.

“She’s such a nag” Emily murmured when they were out of listening range.

“So, where would you like to go? There’s a new movie playing in the movie theatre if you fancy it” suggested Nick.

“I’d like that” replied Emily, snuggling closer to Nick as they walked.

So that’s where they went.

Nick bought the tickets and popcorn, and then placed his arm around her as they sat in the darkened theatre watching the movie. He often couldn’t believe his luck at being with Emily; she was every bit as gorgeous as the actresses on the screen in front of them. He knew a few of the local girls liked him, he wasn’t stupid, but to him, Emily was everything he wanted in a woman.

“Are you going to read me that new poem you‘ve been working on?” Emily teased as they walked home hand in hand after the film.

“I don’t know…it’s not finished yet…”

“Nick, stop putting yourself down!” Emily chastised “you have a gift”

“You’re biased” Nick kicked at a stone on the ground, not able to believe that Emily actually meant the words of praise she’d just given.

“Maybe a little…” she teased once more.

“OK, here goes” said Nick reaching into his back pocket to retrieve the piece of folded paper with his latest piece of writing on which he‘d been working “it’s not finished though”

“So you said” she smiled.

And so he began to read…

Midnight diamonds stud my heaven
Southward burning like the jewels that are your face
And the warm winds that embrace me
Just as surely kissed your face…

 

“Aww Nick, that was beautiful” she purred when he’d read the whole poem to her.

“You think?” Nick asked. He was always a bit self conscious over his writing.

“I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t so” she smiled at him “one of these days you‘re going to realise just how talented you are”

They walked in silence for a few minutes and Nick’s mind wandered to thoughts of the ongoing war in Europe. He knew it was only a matter of time before he got called up, young men all over America were being shipped away, some had already gone to fight, a couple of his friends included. He tried to take his mind off it all, holding Emily closer to him and giving her a kiss before saying goodnight at her doorstep.

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

 

Nick was leaving for work one morning a couple of weeks later when the mail arrived. Beating his father to it, he picked up a brown official looking envelope addressed to him and his stomach began to churn, he’d feared this day for months. He knew it could mean only one thing.

He carefully tore the envelope open, hoping upon hope that somehow this was all a big mistake, that the letter was some huge misunderstanding and not really meant for him. The letter confirmed his fears. He’d been called up into the Army providing he passed the medical examination.

He wasn’t prepared for this, he didn’t want to go and fight in a war he felt he had no place in. But he had no choice, it was compulsory unless he wanted to face jail for draft evasion and bring shame on his entire family in the process. He slumped against the wall in shock and horror, crumpling the letter in his hand and closing his eyes.

“Nick, whatever’s the matter?” asked his mother walking into the hallway and seeing him leaning against the wall.

“This” said Nick handing her the letter. She took the letter from his hands but already knew without looking at it exactly what it said.