- Text Size +

Chapter 12

Under normal circumstances a wedding takes a lot of preparation and planning, not to mention the cost, but these weren’t normal circumstances. Alex and Juliet had got engaged only a couple of weeks previously, but it was long enough to arrange their wedding. They didn‘t want anything fancy, just a small ceremony without much fuss. All they wanted was to be husband and wife and to spend every moment they possibly could together before he was sent away. Rumour had it that they were shipping out in the next week or so. Alex hoped it was only a rumour. He was getting used to life in England and didn’t relish the idea of being made to fight in a war. All the training in the world wouldn’t change his views on combat.

~*~

“But you’ve got to wear something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. It’s tradition!” Elena told her sister as they served customers in the shop just a couple of days before the wedding.

“She’s right you know” said one of the regulars who’d been listening to the conversation.

“Since when did I ever do anything traditional” Juliet laughed.

“True. But you only get married once, you have to do it the right way” Elena told her.

“Well I’m borrowing Louise‘s dress, it‘s really lovely and fits me perfectly. I’ve got mother’s veil so that’s my something old and something borrowed. It’s just the something blue and new I’ve got to get. It doesn’t matter anyway, it’s just a silly tradition” she said, never one to really care for tradition.

“Well, we’ve got a couple of days yet, we’ll think of something” Elena replied.

The rest of the wedding preparations were all taken care of and Nick had made the most beautiful cake for the twosome as a wedding gift.

~*~

“Oh Jules, you look so beautiful” said Elena as her sister did a twirl for her, the dress a perfect fit and looking like it was made just for her. You would never have known it had been worn before.

“Will Alex approve do you think?” she asked as she looked at her reflection in the mirror and applied a little more make-up.

“He will be speechless” her sister replied.

“And I’ve even got something new” Juliet flashed her legs and showed off the new stockings which Alex had given her the day before. He had his sources and could get his hands on all sorts of luxuries that were hard to come by at the moment for the average British person.

“Hmm, so you just need something blue” Elena mused.

“What about these earrings?” announced Mrs Armitage holding up a pair of beautiful sapphire drop earrings for her daughter to see “they were a present to me from your father a long, long time ago so be careful not to lose them”

“Thanks mother, they’re perfect” she said taking them and carefully putting them on “I think we’re ready to go now, I can’t wait to see Alex”

“I can’t believe my little girl is all grown up and getting married” said Mrs Armitage as she looked at her youngest daughter proudly “I just wish your brother could’ve been here too”

“Aww mother, we all do, but I’m sure wherever he is now, he will be watching” said Elena as she handed a handkerchief to her mother.

“Are my beautiful ladies ready to go?” asked Mr Armitage, popping his head around the door.

“Yes, we’re all ready. What do you think?” asked Juliet, doing a twirl for her father.

“I think you look absolutely lovely love. Now come on or he’ll think you’ve stood him up” he said trying to hurry them out of the house and into the waiting car.

The wedding was a very small affair, just a few people in attendance. Alex had written to his parents to let them know he was getting married and although he knew they couldn’t be there, he was sure they would approve of Juliet. He looked forward to the day he would be able to take her home to meet them.

As Juliet walked into the church on her father‘s arm, Alex turned and smiled, he felt like the happiest man on earth.

“She’s gorgeous” he said to himself as he watched her walk down the aisle. He never dreamed that this day would come. He’d always been a ladies man and never one to settle down with someone for long, but that had all changed the day he met Juliet. They were meant to be together.

They said their vows and each placed a thin gold band on one another’s finger and when they were pronounced husband and wife, they held each other close in a deep kiss.

“I love you Mrs McLean” he whispered in her ear.

“I love you too Mr McLean” she replied.

All the way through the ceremony, Nick had been unable to keep his eyes off Elena. Since the evening of their first kiss, they’d seen each other as much as possible. They both knew it was wrong to be seeing each other behind Jeremy’s back, but it didn’t stop them, they seemed to be drawn to one another like magnets. Elena vowed she was going to break it off with Jeremy when he next came home on leave as she didn’t think it right to tell him in a letter. Nick agreed having been on the receiving end of such a letter.

The wedding reception was held back at the house as they didn’t have enough money to hire somewhere special, but the house had been decorated with banners and balloons and looked great. Alex and Juliet were rendered speechless when they set eyes on the fancy three tier wedding cake taking pride of place on the table.

“Surprise!” Nick announced to her newly married friends.

“When…how did you manage to keep this from me?” Alex asked, still shocked that his friend had made such a stunning cake for him.

“It’s not too hard” Nick laughed.

“Thank you so much” Juliet gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Yeah, thanks man” Alex said “we really appreciate it”

“What kind of best man would I be if I didn’t make sure the happy couple had a wedding cake. Consider it my gift to you both” Nick told them.

“You’d never know we were on rations” said Juliet looking at the sight before her. It wasn’t just the wedding cake, but a table full of party food.

After cutting the cake and spending a couple of hours enjoying themselves with family and friends, it was time for the newlyweds to leave. Alex hadn’t told his wife, but he’d booked a weekend away in Wales for their honeymoon. Their train was leaving in just over an hour so they had to get a move on. Elena had packed her sister’s suitcase for her as she was in on the surprise.

“The car’s here” Alex said and thanked everyone for what had been a lovely day.

“But I thought we were just spending a night at the hotel in town” said Juliet a little puzzled.

“Well, you thought wrong my darling, you’ll see” he teased her as he opened the car door to allow his wife to climb in.

Before getting into the car, Juliet turned back to her family and friends and thanked them all.

“Get ready to catch” she called as she held her bouquet ready to throw. She watched as it flew through the air and came tumbling down straight into her sister’s hands. Elena looked at Nick and then looked away quickly, blushing furiously.

“It’ll be you and Jeremy next!” said her mother.

“Yes” was all Elena could say.

“Goodbye everyone, see you soon” said Juliet and climbed into the car with Alex. The car moved away and they waved out of the window until the crowd were specks in the distance.

They spent a blissful weekend at a lovely hotel in North Wales, with their own balcony overlooking miles of sandy beach. It was like a different world to the small Yorkshire town Juliet was from.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading!