- Text Size +

Chapter 9

“Oh my goodness, I can’t believe it” squealed Louise as the front door opened and in walked her husband Daniel. She ran to him and flung herself into his open arms, his arms going around her body pulling her closer, wanting to remember the feel of her in his arms after so long apart. They stood there in the hallway kissing for a while before pulling apart to take a good long look at each other. It had been such a long time since they’d last seen each other and as Louise looked at Daniel, she noticed he’d lost a little weight, but he was still a well built hunk of a man. He took her hand and led her upstairs to their bedroom where they got to know each other’s bodies all over again.

“I should go away more often if this is the welcome home I receive” he teased her as they lay there wrapped in each other’s arms a while later.

“No, don’t say that! I can’t wait for this war to be over so that we’re never apart again” Louise said as she snuggled closer to her husband.

“Me too darling…me too, a week at home is just not enough” he murmured and kissed her again.

~*~

Elena was busy arranging and stocking the shelves in the shop, her back turned away from the door as she went about her work. She heard the tinkling bell above the shop door ring and a customer walk in, but as her sister was already serving behind the counter, she didn’t stop what she was doing. She had a lot to do and wanted it done as soon as possible. Next thing she knew there were a pair of hands over her eyes and warm breath against her neck. She froze, wondering why Nick was being so bold. Had she given the impression that they were anything more than friends? She didn’t think so. She was about to speak, to tell him that he couldn’t behave this way in the shop where people would undoubtedly gossip. But when she spun around to do so, she gasped in shock.

“Surprise” said a familiar voice.

“Jeremy!” she exclaimed, hardly able to believe her eyes.

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. He breathed in the familiar smell of her shampoo and sighed, thinking it was good to be back, even if it was only for a short time.

“It’s so good to be home” he said and then gave her a kiss on the lips, aware that her sister was nearby “I’ve missed you so much”

“I’ve missed you too Jeremy” Elena said, not wanting to let go of him.

“Nice to have you back Jeremy” Juliet walked over to where they were standing “Elena’s really missed you”

Elena blushed slightly at her sister’s words. It was fantastic to have Jeremy home, she loved him and she had missed him a lot, but maybe not as much as she should have. She felt guilty for the times she’d been out enjoying herself with friends, for talking to another man and enjoying his company whilst Jeremy was fighting for his life in a country he didn‘t belong in.

“Daniel’s back too, we travelled home together” Jeremy pulled away from Elena and stood to her side instead. He wasn’t comfortable with public displays of affection.

“Oh that’s fantastic news, Louise will be so happy” Elena grinned, knowing that her friend had missed her husband terribly.

“Yes she will” Juliet agreed excitedly “maybe we can have that party we were talking about. Alex and Nick will be able to get us all sorts of goodies from the kitchen”

“What’s this about a party?” asked Jeremy curiously as he looked from his girlfriend to her sister “and who are Alex and Nick?”

“Alex is my gorgeous American boyfriend and Nick is his friend and also one of our friends” replied Juliet “and Louise was saying how nice it would be to have a little get together when Daniel got home as his birthday is soon”

“Well then, I’ll have to meet this Alex and see if he’s good enough for my little sister” teased Jeremy. They were as good as family, having known each other all their lives.

“He is perfect” said Juliet and sighed dreamily whilst Jeremy and Elena laughed. Juliet could be such a hopeless romantic at times.

~*~

“I’m not sure I want to go to this party” Nick announced a few days later as he and Alex were busy in the base kitchen cooking up some extras for the party. If he was being honest he was feeling a little jealous. Even though Elena was only a friend, he’d come to enjoy her company…a lot more than he should have.

“Come on Nick, you have to go. I need you there buddy, you know it‘s going to be a big night for me too. Plus, I know you’re dying to see what that Jeremy guy is like, right?” said Alex.

“Yeah, I guess I am a little curious…”

“A little?” Alex laughed.

“I just hope he’s deserving of her, because she is a great girl” replied Nick.

“I know she is and I’m sure he’s a decent guy” Alex told his friend “you never know, there may be some other chick takes your fancy at this party, someone who’s available”

“You could be right” Nick nodded, although he highly doubted it and wasn‘t really interested in ‘some other chick‘.

Later on that day, after they’d finished up in the kitchen, Nick and Alex got themselves spruced up and met with Howie and Brian. They were all going to the party.

“Hey, I managed to borrow a car for tonight” said Brian smugly and went on to tell his friends how he’d bribed one of the drivers with some whiskey and cigarettes from the warehouse so that they could transport all the food more easily. It would certainly beat having to cart it all on the bus.

“Thanks Bri” Alex told him “y’know I’m thinking of asking Jules to marry me tonight, so it’s gonna be celebrations all round, hopefully!”

“If she says yes” teased Howie with a wink.

“As if she’s gonna say anything else, she loves me” Alex said smugly.

“Come on then Romeo, we’ve got a party to get to” Nick announced with little enthusiasm.

A little while later Brian stopped the car outside Louise and Daniel’s house where the party was going to be at. There were a few kids playing with a ball in the street who stopped their game to watch the four Americans carrying plates of food into the house, their eyes curious. Brian called them over and handed them all a few sweets, smiling as they ran off happily to eat the rare treats.

“I think that’ll do” said Louise as they finished laying the table with the food which they had all helped to make. The room was looking good, the furniture had been moved around to allow room for dancing later and they intended to make it a great night with lots of laughter.

“Is it safe to come in now?” called Daniel from the hallway and without waiting for a reply he and Jeremy walked in and were amazed with the amount of food and drink there.

“This is really spectacular” said Jeremy looking towards Elena “I didn’t even think you could buy things like those anymore” he pointed towards the cakes set out on the table.

“Well, we have our ways of getting our hands on things” said Alex with a mischievous grin “I’m Alex by the way, you must be Jeremy. I’ve heard so much about you, pleased to meet you at last”

Jeremy shook Alex’s extended hand, liking him immediately “Nice to meet you too Alex”

“How’s things going over there?” Alex asked, referring to overseas.

“It’s not good” Jeremy replied in a lowered voice so that the ladies couldn’t hear “bloody awful actually. Do you know when you’re being sent yet?”

“No…no not yet” Alex replied, hoping it would all be over before they were shipped out. They changed the subject to something more jolly after that. It was a party after all and before long it was in full swing, with everyone enjoying the good food and drink.

“Could I have everyone’s attention please?” called Jeremy tapping on his glass with a cutlery knife. He beckoned Elena over towards him and she walked over and stood by his side dutifully.

“Oh god” muttered Nick to himself, he had a feeling he knew what was coming and he wasn‘t sure he wanted to hear it.

“Now that I have your attention” Jeremy began “let’s raise our glasses and wish Daniel a very happy birthday. Happy birthday!”

“Happy birthday Daniel” everyone cheered and raised their glasses.

Jeremy waited until the cheering had calmed down before speaking again “Now then, as you all know, Elena and I have been together for a long time and I love her with all my heart”

There were many an “oo” and “aw”

“So” Jeremy said as he turned towards Elena and got down on one knee “would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?”

Elena was left speechless for a moment, she looked at her friends and then back at Jeremy “yes” she replied and Jeremy slipped a diamond and sapphire ring onto her finger and kissed her.

“It’s beautiful” Emily said to him as she admired the gems sparkling on the ring.

“Just like you” he told her and smiled proudly.

Everyone cheered and congratulated them. Nick could see how happy Elena was, Jeremy was a great guy and he couldn’t stay jealous for long, no matter how hard he tried. Elena had never been his to be jealous over.

“Whilst were all gathered like this and making special announcements, I have something to say” called out Alex, taking Juliet’s hand in his.

“Juliet…I know we haven’t known each other very long, but I feel like we belong together, like we were destined for one another” he smiled at her and squeezed her hand tighter “so, I was wondering if you’d marry me?”

“Oh my goodness Alex, yes” she squealed excitedly and kissed him “yes” she smothered his face with kisses before he had a chance to slip the ring he’d bought onto her finger.

Once again, everyone cheered, they eventually broke free from their kiss and Alex slipped a gorgeous emerald ring onto Juliet’s finger.

“To match your eyes” he whispered in her ear and kissed her neck.

The party carried on until late into the night, everyone in high spirits and with lots to celebrate.

Chapter End Notes:

Happiness all around...surely it can't last!