- Text Size +

Isabelle felt the binds that were holding her hands together.  She knew she should be able to get out of the bindings but she felt weak, drained of any kind of energy.  They drugged her; it was the only explanation for the way she was feeling.  Since she was captured by the doctor that helped create the Cleaners she was sure whatever was coursing through her veins was something powerful enough to kill a normal person.   


The woman Cleaner she had fought when she’d jumped off the train was standing in front of her blocking her from seeing the one way mirror she was sure Brian was standing behind. Why else bring her in a room with a mirror if they didn’t want anyone viewing what was going to happen?   Isabelle knew the cells they normally did interrogating in and this room was plush in comparison. 


Isabelle felt the pain of the punch before her brain processed that a fist was coming near and she should move.  She was definitely drugged.  She shook the pain away and sat glaring up at the woman who had hit her.   The woman had a smug look on her face as she hit Isabelle again. 


“Just tell us why you did it.  If you confess I am sure The Company will go easier on you.” The woman spoke before knocking her fist on the side of Isabelle’s face again.


Isabelle merely spat the blue blood from her mouth towards the other woman and prepared herself to be hit again. 


“We know you are involved with the rebellion, we know that you were trying to take over a higher place within The Company so that you would be better positioned for when the rebellion took place.  There is no use keeping quiet about it, just tell us why.”


Isabelle knew the silence was unnerving the other woman and making her angry.  She knew that the other woman would unleash more abuse in a short time if she continued to stay silent which she intended to do.  Those that had killed David must have already infiltrated enough of The Company that they needed to make sure they had a scapegoat in her, a way to link the entire thing to the rebellion.  If they could do that they had a stronger stand for what they intended to implement when the new phones went live. 


She took the assault to her face in stride and when the woman stopped hitting her again she forced herself to look calmly at the other woman.


“Where is Brian?” She managed to get the words out.  “Where is Megan?  Tell me where they are, tell me if they are alive and still have their own memories.”


“You are the one being questioned; you don’t get to ask your own.”  The other woman said before punching Isabelle straight in the face.  Isabelle could feel the bone break ask the woman’s fist collided with her nose.


“Now Trish, if you continue to assail her how will she be able to speak?” 


Isabelle turned her head to see Dr. Smith opening the door and walk into the room.  He had a glass of water and some gauze.   “Physical violence will not break her, you should know.” His look to Trish was stern.


“Oh I do.” Trish laughed before hitting Isabelle’s nose again.  The pain that came from that hit made the room turn black for a few seconds.  When she could see again, Trish was no longer standing in front of her but off in the corner of the room leaning against the wall.  Dr. Smith was now sitting in a chair in front of her holding the gauze covered in water.  He gently dabbed her face wiping the blood off her face.  He was quiet and gentle as he worked. 


“It won’t work.” Isabelle told him as he wiped the blood way from her lips.  She could feel her skin already starting to repair itself. 


“Hold still and prepare yourself,” Dr. Smith said as he set the glass of water, now the color of Isabelle’s blood, down on the floor.  He took hold of her nose.  She knew what was coming and prepared herself as he put her nose back in place.  “We wouldn’t want it to heal crooked now would we?” He asked smiling.  


“Isabelle the Company is past caring why you killed David.  There is more information from you they want.”


Isabelle glared at the doctor but he continued unfazed by her, after all her glare couldn’t shut him up. 


“Brian and Megan are both still alive and with their own memories, for the time being.” The doctor offered the information up to her and she tried to make it evident that it did not relax her but it did. She felt a weight lifted, if they were alive with their memories she could get them out still.  She could feel the drug starting to wear off though she continued to keep her limbs relaxed in an effort to make it appear the drug was still working. 


“The information the Company wants from you could help convince them to let you and Brian leave here in peace with your memories and as long as you stay in a remote location of their choosing they will leave you two alone to live out your lives.”  The doctor resumed administering to her wounds though it was mostly wiping the blood away, most of the cuts had already healed and she could feel the bones in her nose knitting back together as he spoke.    Of course the drug wouldn’t inhibit the healing ability.  During interrogations they would want to be able to injure a Cleaner in this position several times in an attempt to break them.  Isabelle knew she was in for a long night if she didn’t cooperate. 


“I don’t know what you want. I saw who killed David but I doubt the people you are working for want to know that, they were there after all.”   Isabelle could see Trish move closer to her moving to strike her for her comment but Dr. Smith held up his hand to stop the other woman.     


“You have your memories back then I am sure you know what it is that we want from you.”


Isabelle shook her head.  She really did not have any idea what he was talking about and she said as much to him.  His face fell in disappointment.


“I really didn’t want to have to resort to this,” He made some gesture with his hand and the light behind the one way mirror flickered on and Isabelle could now see who was behind it, and what was behind it.  She gasped out when she saw Brian strapped down to a metal table fighting against the restraints.  A woman picked up a needle off of the table and injected him.


“NO!” Isabelle screamed.  She struggled against her binds.  She knew the drug was wearing off but it wasn’t leaving her system fast enough, she binding was still holding her tight.


“Don’t worry, that wasn’t to suppress his memories.” The doctor smiled at her.    “You may be able to withstand the torture due to that lovely serum I invented but your husband has not had the benefit of that serum.”  The doctor’s face looked like he was enjoying the pain that was going to be inflicted on the man strapped down in the room next door. 


“I don’t know what you want!” Isabelle screamed at him. She tried to move closer to the window but the other woman was holding her chair in place. 


“Just let your subconscious take over, let the memories surface.” He doctor prompted her.  She didn’t know how she was supposed to let anything take over while she sat watching Brian prepped for some kind of procedure, or torture.  “I am sure what we need you have buried deep. When we altered your memories we tried to get it out of you then but we could not access it.  Somehow your brain knew what we were looking for and pushed our probing away.”


Isabelle shook her head.  “I don’t know what you are talking about.”


The doctor stayed silent for a few more minutes. When Isabelle did not offer any more information he pushed the button next to the window.  “You may begin.”


“No, no…” Isabelle muttered to herself as she watched the man in the other room grab a hold of Brian’s left hand, the pinky finger, and broke it.  Brian’s screams rang through the room that Isabelle was in.  She wanted to turn away as the man grabbed the next finger and broke it but she could not, it wouldn’t be right for her to look away from his torture if she was the reason he was being tortured.  When the third finger was broken Brian finally passed out from the pain.  The woman standing next to him injected him with another syringe and held a bottle under his nose. 


There were tears streaming down Brian’s face as his eyes opened again.  Isabelle’s eyes met his and she could feel the anger building inside of her.  She began to twist at her binding; she could feel more strength running through her.  The drug was out of her system enough that she should be able to break free.  She needed to act fast before they caught on and dosed her again. 


Letting her anger fuel her she made her move.