- Text Size +

Izzy and Megan were lucky, if that word could be used for the situation they had found themselves in. Neither one of them was really injured, Megan said the man had approached the car, glanced in the window and turned back to the SUV when cars started to come in the opposite direction.  Megan used that opportunity to call 911 for assistance.  The SUV had looped back a couple of times but the police were there and it did not stop.


The police had not found anyone in the fields either.  It was already dark by the time the paramedics started to tend her minor cuts and scrapes from the fight she had been in.


Izzy, somehow, did not find that in the least bit strange that the men could not be found.  None of the officers believed her and continued to ask how she got the injuries.  She was sure they thought that either the girls had gotten into a fight or maybe Izzy had an abusive boyfriend that she was covering for. She would have felt that she was going crazy except that Megan remembered what happened as well.   Since neither one of them needed any major medical treatment and the car was still running, the girls gave their statements and were released that same night. 


Neither girl really spoke much after what they experienced which made for a long drive the remainder of the way home.  Megan drove carefully but she took every chance to speed that she could, Izzy knew, that like herself, she was hoping the black SUV would not show up again.  They both let out a huge sigh of relief as they pulled into Izzy’s apartment complex. 


Both girls trudged up the steps to Izzy’s apartment.  Izzy was thankful her bag wasn’t too heavy.  Izzy put her key in the lock and started to turn the door before it was yanked out of her hand.  “What the…” she started before she saw Natalie standing on the other side of the door.


“About time,” Natalie looked relieved as she pulled Izzy into an embrace.  “I was starting to worry about you.  I thought you would have been home sooner.”


“We ran into some car troubles,” Megan chimed in.


Izzy watched as Natalie glared at the other girl then looked down at the car they just vacated.  “An accident?”  Natalie pulled Izzy back and examined her taking in the cuts and bruises for the first time.  “What did you do to her Megan?” Natalie asked the other girl in an accusatory tone.


“Back off of her Natalie, it wasn’t her fault.  Another car crashed into us.”  Izzy pushed past Natalie and pulled her away from the door so Megan could come in. 


“Irresponsible,” Natalie murmured.   “First you practically drag her off on this road trip, then your horrible driving got you both in an accident and Izzy looks like she took the brunt of the accident.” She stood with her hands on her hips glaring at the other girl.


“Natalie!” Izzy’s voice carried through the small apartment.  “If you are going to be mean to my friends you are going to leave.  You are both my friends, get over it and move on. If you can’t handle it then you can leave, Megan stays.” 


Megan looked at the two girls uneasily.  “I just need to use the restroom then I want to get home.” She said rather meekly. 


Natalie stepped out of her way and let her pass; she moved to the kitchen and started to get plates out.  “I ordered some Chinese, it will be here soon.”


Izzy moved into her bedroom and put her stuff on her bed.  She threw herself down and groaned. She did not want to deal with Natalie tonight, she wanted to just sleep and forget about the strange things that happened to her over the past few days.   When she heard the running water of the bathroom she moved back into the living space, she did not want Natalie alone with Megan. 


Izzy felt loyal to Natalie, they had been through a lot together.  Natalie was a fiercely loyal friend and Izzy hoped she wouldn’t have to get rid of her, but the way she'd been acting the past couple of months Izzy was afraid she was becoming a bit of a psycho of the single white female variety. 


“Well, I’m off.” Megan said when they both reached the living room.  “It was fun, mostly,” Megan smiled and hugged Izzy.  “Call me if you need anything,” she whispered as they hugged.


“Thanks,” Izzy smiled and pulled away.  “I am glad you invited me.” She said.  She was glad she got away, she had more fun than she cared to admit even with passing out at the meet and greet and the strange incident with the SUV. 


Natalie was quiet until the food arrived then the questions started as they sat down to eat.


“Tell me about your trip, how was the concert?” 


“It was okay; meeting the guys backstage was pretty cool too.” Izzy said as she took a bite of her food, she practically jumped out of her seat when Natalie dropped her fork on her plate.


“You met them?” She asked with her eyes wide.


Izzy nodded.  “Yah, Megan sprung that information on me last minute.  I didn’t really want to meet them, I mean they are a boy band, but they seemed to be pretty nice.  Well, of the ones I met they seemed to be nice.”


“You didn’t get to meet them all?” Natalie wondered with her eyes still wide.


“No, I passed out when I got halfway through the line.”


Natalie relaxed some and sat back in her seat.  “Passed out?” She asked with light laughter to her voice.


“Yah, I shook, uh, Brian’s hand and passed out.” Izzy was about to pick up her glass to finish her beverage when Natalie yanked it off the table. 


“Brian? What happened?” Natalie asked as she stood and moved towards the kitchen with their glasses.  “Care for some more?”  She shook Izzy’s glass back and forth. 


“Yes please,” She replied and watched as Natalie started to pour the beverages.   “I don’t know, we just shook hands and next thing I knew I was on the floor.  But that wasn’t the strangest thing about the trip.” Izzy stood and moved to stand at the island so that she could be closer to her friend as she talked. She was done eating anyway.   Both glasses were full but Natalie still had her back to Izzy.  She watched as Natalie pulled a packet of something out and dumped a white powder into one of the glasses, her glass.   Quickly she moved back to her seat and sat as if she hadn’t moved.


Natalie turned and looked at Izzy, “What was stranger than that?”


“The accident…” Izzy said letting the statement trail off as her glass was put in front of her. 


“Well, let’s toast that the accident wasn’t major and that you made it home safely.”  Natalie eyed the drink in front of Izzy.  “You will feel better after drinking, I promise.”  She smiled with what looked like a very creepy smile scaring Izzy even more.


She hesitated to pick up the drink but she did, a look of relief crossed over Natalie’s face as Izzy moved it closer to her mouth.  Before she could take a drink Izzy threw her glass across the room in Natalie’s direction forcing her to move out of the way. 


She wasted no time as she got out of her chair and headed towards the door.  She was thankful she had thrown her purse by the door and she grabbed it quickly as she went to open the door.


Before she could get out she felt herself being pulled backwards and into Natalie’s hold.  “Things are going to get worse if you don’t let me take care of this now, this I can promise you.” Natalie hissed in Izzy’s ear as she pulled her further away from the door.


Grasping her bag tightly, Izzy swung it backwards and sighed when it collided with Natalie’s head.  Natalie’s reaction to let Izzy go so she could grasp her head gave Izzy enough time to get back to the door and run outside.  She managed to make it to her car and with her keys in hand she watched the door to her apartment as she unlocked the door and got behind the wheel.  


Izzy pulled out of her parking lot just as Natalie stood up and looked out the door glaring at her as she drove away.  “What the hell!” Izzy proclaimed.  She didn’t allow herself to think about anything that had happened the last few days as she drove, if she had thought about it she probably would have been in an accident.  Her life was being thrown for a loop and she wasn’t sure where it was going to go now.