- Text Size +
Chapter 24


“What did you want to talk about?” AJ asked as he and Kevin walked away. He had a feeling it was about the Luminary. Kevin, Nick and Emma had all looked at him curiously when he returned. Did they really suspect anything? Surely none of them would have an inkling he’d gone to find the Luminary. He’d been a flashing red when they’d left, and therefore he had the most to lose. AJ could still hardly believe he’d had the guts to face him.

“I just wanted to check that you are alright. You left the hiding place where you were supposed to be with Nick and Emma…and I wanted to know why?” the older man asked. He sat down and indicated to AJ to take a seat opposite. He wanted to be able to see his face, to see if he was concealing anything. Kevin hated to doubt people, but he’d originally come from Endwise and knew that you couldn’t always take a person’s word as the truth. His own brother was proof of that.

“I couldn’t sleep, so decided to take a little walk. It was dark and I lost my bearings for a while, probably walked around in circles before eventually finding my way back!” AJ lied easily.

“As long as you are sure nothing else is bothering you?” Kevin queried, studying AJ’s facial expressions.

“Everything’s great. In fact, I couldn’t be happier. For the first time in a long time, everything seems to be looking up” AJ grinned.

They talked for a while longer, before Kevin advised AJ to keep a low profile. He didn’t want to give the Luminary any reason to attack the town, but knew that something was going to happen. He knew Brian, knew exactly what he was capable of, and once he’d got something into his evil head, he didn’t let go.

Brian may have told Kevin that he was leaving to go back to Endwise, but Kevin wasn’t sure he trusted him. He would’ve liked to have kept AJ, Nick and Emma hidden for a couple more days just to be sure. But as long as they weren’t out and about too much, he figured it should be alright.

~*~


As bad as she felt for doubting him, Emma couldn’t help the niggling feeling that AJ was not being honest.

He may have fooled Kevin and Nick, but he didn’t fool her. Yet she couldn’t say exactly what it was that had her back up. He said and did all the right things, so why couldn’t she just let it drop?

“What are you brooding over?” Nick asked, entwining his fingers with hers and pulling her close to him.

“Nothing” she replied and put AJ out of her mind. It wasn’t good to dwell on things that might not be true. She would only get worked up and end up doing or saying something she might later regret.

“Oh yeah? You looked deep in thought about something!”

“I was just wondering how long it would be until you kissed me again” she teased. Now that she’d thought about it, the words she’d spoken had been the truth. She did want to kiss him again.

“Well, funny you should ask…” Nick began and then moved closer to Emma, tilting his head slightly so that he could kiss her.

“Mmm” Emma sighed as his lips trailed soft kisses down her neck. She had been kissed before, many times in fact, but she had never felt the way she did with Nick. He made her forget her worries, made her forget everything, with just the slightest touch. She soon forgot all about AJ and his possible treachery.

~*~


The Luminary paced up and down, deep in thought. He hoped the red – AJ - would remain true to his word. He’d said all the right words when he’d been in his presence, but now hours later, Brian began to have his doubts. What if he ran back to those peasants and told them where he was hiding? What if an angry mob came to hunt him down?

“No, he wouldn’t do that. He’s like me. I saw that evil glint in his eye” Brian told himself. He actually did admire the man. Shame he’d have to execute him when he got him back to Endwise. But rules were rules after all. He couldn’t be seen to sympathise with traitors, or give them special treatment. AJ and his fellow traitors would get an extra special send off when they got back. Brian had to hold back the desire to cackle out loud at the thought of the torture they would endure. If only that AJ character had made himself known to him before running. A man like that would’ve been made a trusted member of the guard.

Brian stopped pacing and ordered one of his guards to bring him something to eat. He couldn’t wait to get back home to Endwise and back to his usual eating habits. All this eating outside was not natural. In fact, he was repulsed by the way his brother was now living. But he consoled himself with the thought that Kevin would not be living for very much longer.

~*~


The time seemed to pass quickly, and before he knew it, AJ was looking up into the sky and noticing that sunset was fast approaching.

He’d spent most of the day contemplating what he was going to say when he faced the Luminary again. He knew that one wrong word would make all the difference between the life of luxury or no life at all.

Looking around to make sure that no one had followed him, he slipped away from the village and made his way to the Luminary’s temporary camp, all the while keeping alert to the sights and sounds around him.

He froze when he felt something hard jabbing into his back, but relaxed when the Luminary appeared.

“I don’t think there is any need to treat our guest in that way” he signalled for the guard to lower his weapon and leave them.

AJ turned and smirked at the guard, who scowled at him before walking away.

“So my friend, did you find out what I requested of you?” the Luminary asked as he offered AJ something from a plate. AJ hadn’t seen such delicious food since leaving Endwise and his stomach suddenly rumbled loudly.

“Yes sir” he replied and took a bite. “I did exactly as you wanted, and more”.
Chapter End Notes:
Hopefully we won't take too long with the next update :)