- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize profusely to those of you were waiting for a new chapter. Somehow, the link to chapter 7 got broken, and it was showing just a blank page. I had to delete and re-upload it, so if you got a blank page for chapter 7, please go back and read it. It fills in some blanks. It was a big chapter for the development of the story.

 

“You’re late,” Brad remarked as Annie came strolling into the ER later that morning.

 

She glanced down at her watch. “By like ten minutes”

 

“But you’re never late! And you even have a kid!”

 

“Well it caught up to me.”

 

As Annie pushed the door to the physician’s lounge open, Brad noticed the damp grass stains on her knees and followed her inside. “What have you been doing? Yard work?”

 

“No, Brad. I haven’t been doing yard work,” she said with an eye roll as she opened her locker, pulled her purse inside, and pulled out a set of scrubs.

 

“Well what have you been doing on your knees in the grass?”

“I went so see Andrew this morning.”

“Oh.” Brad blushed a little. “Well, what did he have to say?” he asked half-mockingly.

“He said plenty.” Annie pulled her mint green scrub top over her head and shimmied out of her jeans.

“So, are you leaving me?”

“I....I don’t know yet.”
_________________________________________________________________________


After her shift that evening, Annie walked upstairs to Baylee’s room. Tim and Tracy had called earlier and said they were coming for a visit, so they would just bring Drew with them.

 

“Annie!” Baylee exclaimed as she walked into the room. “Drew’s here!”

“I see that. How are you feeling Baylee?” she asked as she stooped down and held out her arms while Drew toddled towards her.

“I’m BO-ORED!” Baylee declared exasperatedly.

“I take it that means you’re feeling better, then,” she answered him with a laugh.

“Guess what?” he said excitedly.

 

“What?”

 

“I get to go home tomorrow!”

 

“That’s awesome Baylee!”

 

“You’re a doctor, right?” Baylee asked seriously.

 

“Yes....”

 

“What’s a mobilizer sling?”

 

“You mean an immobilizer sling?” she asked. Baylee shrugged while Brian and Leighanne nodded. “It’s a sling that keeps you from being able to move your arm. That way, the bones stay in place while they grow back together,” she explained.

 

“You mean I still can’t move my stupid arm?”

 

“Sorry, but probably not for a few more weeks.” Baylee huffed and pouted.

 

Leighanne stood up from where she had been perched on the bed beside him and held out her hand. “It’s good to see you again, Annie. I’m sorry we didn’t really get the chance to be formally introduced yesterday.” Baylee had been in a great deal of pain after the movement of going down to x-ray and back, and being exhausted herself, Annie had slipped out and gone home without much talk.

 

“Oh, it’s fine. The little guys always come first,” she said, dropping a kiss onto the top of Drew’s head. “It’s good to see him acting like himself tonight.”

Leighanne smiled. “It definitely is. I want to thank you for all you did for him on Sunday. Brian says you were the level head while everything was going on. Sometimes, these situations just need a woman’s touch, and I’m glad you were there.”

 

Annie shot a look over at Brian and Baylee, who were arm wrestling on top of an empty food tray with Baylee’s good arm. Of course, Baylee was winning and Brian was making a big show out of it. “I’m glad I was, too,” she said with a smile.

 

Leighanne ushered her over to an empty chair and sat on the edge of Baylee’s bed facing her. She smiled at Drew and tickled his belly, then turned her attention back to Annie.

 

“So, Brian and Tim tell me you’re quite the singer.”

 

“That’s what they tell me.” Annie shrugged and allowed Drew to climb out of her lap after glancing at the door to make sure it was closed so he wouldn’t try to escape.

 

“She’s even a gooder singer than you, Mommy!’ Baylee chimed in.

 

Leighanne laughed and patted him on the leg. “Thanks for your support, Baylee. And it’s better, not gooder.”

 

“Well, she’s the bestest girl singer I know, and daddy is the bestest boy singer I know!” he exclaimed.

“It’s best,” Tim corrected. “And I have to agree with you.” Annie blushed and looked across the room at Drew, who was standing on his tip-toes and fiddling with the doorknob. She knew he’d try to make a run for it. Fortunately, she was pretty sure that he didn’t yet have the dexterity to actually get the door open.

“So, do I need to get the guest room ready? Will you be coming down to Atlanta to do some recording with Brian?”

Annie’s eyes widened in surprise and she looked over at Brian, who was smiling widely. “I tell her everything, Annie. Of course she wants you to come.”

Then, she looked over her shoulder at Tim. “Well?” he prompted.

She cleared her throat. “I, uh....yeah. I’m not promising to make any life-altering decisions, but if you’d like me to attempt a duet with you for your album, I’m willing to give it a try.”

“Yeah!” Brian pumped his fist into the air.

“Yay!” Drew giggled and clapped, not wanting to be left out, and the entire room burst into laughter.

“So, I take it your husband is okay with it?” Leighanne asked.

“Your husband?” Tim knit his eyebrows together in confusion. Annie shot him a look, silently pleading with him to keep his mouth shut.

“Yeah. I think he is,” she answered with a nervous smile.

“Great! Will he be coming with you?”

Annie’s heart clenched in her chest. She really wanted to just say “yes,” because technically, he would definitely be with her, but she knew that would just open up a big can of worms. “Actually, no.” She glanced back at Tim, who nodded silently, urging her on. “You see, my Andrew, he’s....” She paused. Just say it, Annie, she thought to herself. He’s dead! “I’m a widow.” In the time since he’d been gone, she had never once said the words “He’s dead” out loud, and this time was no different.