- Text Size +
There’s a lot to be said for a good romantic movie but the best part is when she snuggles up against you. He knew Maggie wasn’t going to be the kind of girl that wanted to jump into bed after three dates. She had a certain innocence about her . It was one of the many things that drew him to her. And when he kissed her for the first time, he felt something he’d never felt in his life. It was more than physical. She was getting a piece of his heart.

So yeah, he’d been married once, almost twice but they never gave him the feeling Maggie had. He was beginning to realize he was in love with idea of falling in love ,settling down and raising a family with the right girl like his Father had. Their marriage wasn’t perfect by any means but he learned that it’s something you have to work at if it was going to last. Maybe that was it. He just hadn’t found that thing he’d wanted to last. Until now.

Beauty is in the eye they say and until they started talking, he could tell Maggie was one of those girls that didn’t think she was beautiful. It was all he could to keep his hand from sliding down over her shoulder once she lifted the armrest and put her head on his shoulder. That soft pink sweater of hers was doing things to his body that only his hand had been doing for him. She didn’t even have a clue.

So there they were at her door again. The part that conflicted him the most. He didn’t want to leave and after now knowing what it felt like to have her lips on his, he definitely didn’t want the evening to end.

“You didn’t have to see that movie you know,” Maggie said and turned back to him after unlocking her door.

“I believe we discussed that. I liked it.”

“You’re just saying that.”

“I mean it. I thought it was going to be one of those sappy boy meets girl and falls madly in love.”
She didn’t want him to go but she knew she had to let him go if there was going to be another date. She hoped there would be. His eyes connected with hers and if she were anything like her friends, she’d be dragging him and his cute little butt through that door but she wasn’t. “Brian,” she said as she put her arms around his neck.

“Yes Maggie?”

“I think there’s something you should know about me.”

She felt his arms slide around her middle and it was all she could do to summon up the courage to tell him about her dating history. More like the lack thereof. “This is the first second date I’ve ever been on.”

He was quiet for a minute. “But you have been on dates.”

“Yeah and I’m pretty sure you’ve figured out by now why I haven’t had any second dates.”

“It was their loss to not stick around and see your true beauty.”

She wasn’t used to men telling her she was pretty and any other time she would have pulled away but she took the lead and kissed him. Not those hungry and powerfully passionate things you see in movies but it certainly felt knee buckling as he pulled her tighter against his body. It’s like he knew what level to keep it at and the same time keep the fire burning. She read romance novels. Nowhere near this good. As their lips drew apart, she knew they weren’t finished.

If she were like any other woman he’d known in his life, he’d have pushed that unlocked door open and found the way to her bedroom. All the sensations of wanting to be in a bed were there. You’d better believe it! His lips touching hers; needing to feel more of her mouth. He was so nervous about doing anything but the way her fingers felt as they threaded through his hair, he decided to push a little further. His tongue slid between her lips and she readily accepted his invitation. For a girl that felt like she hadn’t had much experience, his body was sure reacting to every twist and turn their tongues took. It would be so easy to stay this connected to her all night but being the gentleman he was, he pulled away and said, “ I think it’s time I go Maggie.”

She was confused. She was sure he was enjoying what they were doing. She felt his body doing something she’d never felt a man’s body do and wondered if she’d done something wrong. “Is everything okay Brian?”

Oh lord! She really has no idea what she’s done. She really was that innocent. Taking her face in his hands, he replied, “Everything is fine. I’ll call you tomorrow. I promise.”
“Okay. Goodnight,” she said and softly kissed him before he left. She turned and opened the door. Prayer was becoming a big part of this relationship because she looked to the heavens and prayed that she hadn’t screwed up.



She avoided the coffee shop the next morning just because she was still unsure of what she’d done to practically send Brian running the night before . Question being, why did he leave so quickly? She figured he would at least text when she didn’t show up for her morning cup. No text. Nothing. Great! You ran this one off too Maggie. Congratulations! She sat in the break room and picked apart the sandwich she’d brought. This was a first. She couldn’t even eat her stomach was so in knots.

“Knock, knock. They told me you were in here Mags,” Deidre announced as she entered the room.

“Hey De,” she said; barely acknowledging her friend’s presence. She returned to picking at the bread.

Deidre took a seat beside Maggie and grabbed her hands. “You’re not eating Maggie. What’s going on? I thought life was good.”

“It was until I screwed up again last night,” she replied; looking up at her friend with a solemn expression on her face.

“It can’t be that bad. According to Camille, this guy is nuts about you.”

“I thought so too.”

“What happened?”

“Well……”she started blushing.

“Mags. I’m your friend. I’ve told you a lot of stuff I probably shouldn’t have. You didn’t sleep with him?”

“God no De! But when we were kissing goodnight, he was holding me pretty tight and I felt something pressing against my lower regions that I’ve never felt before.”

Deidre was quite for a minute.

“What?”

“Mags, he didn’t leave because you were doing anything wrong. That boy was sporting wood and was being a gentleman by leaving.”

“You mean he was aroused?”

“If that’s what works for you but seriously Maggie, that boy wants to take you bed.”

“So that’s what it feels like?”

“Did you like it?”

“It made me warm and tingly all over.”

“But especially downstairs right?”

She blushed.”Yeah.”

“Femininity is a great power. Use it wisely. Can I ask what you were wearing last night?”

“My pink angora.”

“God girl! No wonder he wanted you like nobody’s business. Don’t worry Mags. You did nothing wrong. When a guy knows he’s got a good thing, he’ll wait however long it takes to get there. He’ll call you tonight. I’m sure of it.”

“Thanks De. I’m sorry I didn’t call you yesterday.”

“It’s okay. I understand but I should get back to work myself so I’ll catch you later okay?”

Maggie got up and hugged her friend. “Thanks for not laughing this time.”

“I’m sorry I did. I forget what it’s like to have all those unfamiliar feelings it’s been so long ago. Don’t do anything until you’re absolutely sure about this guy okay?”

“I got it. Thanks again.”

“Anytime.”

Maggie watched her friend leave then sat back down and looked at her phone. There was a text message.

Missed you for coffee this morning. Are you free for dinner tonight?


She took a deep breath and replied, “What time?”