- Text Size +
Holding the vase in one hand, he rings her doorbell; nervously anticipating what he should say or if he should say anything at all about last night when the door swings open .

Taking a deep breath, Maggie smoothed her blouse. The butterflies swarmed in her stomach as she took one last look in the mirror. De said she should go casual so jeans and a soft, pale yellow blouse was her choice. When she opened the door, the look in his eyes left her breathless.” Hi Brian. Come on in.”

“It’s amazing how much more beautiful you look each time I see you,” he complimented her as he stepped inside. “These are for you . I even brought a vase this time.” He was still slightly anxious.

She allowed a small smile to creep across her lips. “Thank you Brian. They’re beautiful.”
On the surface, she appeared to be calm and collected but on the inside she was a nervous wreck. Why did she want to just drop the flowers and kiss him again? Was it normal? Had she deprived herself for so long that all she wanted to do was play catch up and feel all those things he could make her feel?

So far, so good. Oh God he couldn’t take it anymore! He’d behaved himself long enough. When she turned back to him, their lips connected when he pulled her into his arms. He knew he should have played it safe but too late now. He didn’t make it too long. Just long enough to let her know that he missed her.

His kiss surprised her but not in a bad way. She loved how his back felt under her hands. How his lips felt pressed against hers. That funny tingling returning between her thighs. She squirmed against him in an attempt to ease the ache that was forming. Their lips parted slightly. “Wow.”

“I second that emotion.” The tension had finally lifted. He didn’t want to let her go so he gently eased his embrace; his arms still wrapped around her waist. “About last night. I need you to know that I left because of me.”

She blushed profusely.” I thought I did something wrong.”

He removed one arm from her waist and tilted her chin back up to face him. “It would have been wrong if I asked to stay. I know we’re not there but we will be one day. When YOU’RE ready.”

She smiled at the thought of there being a someday. “I’m glad you called. I hope you like Italian. I’ve got Chicken Parmesan in the oven. Should be done any time now.”

“I saved my appetite especially for you.” He realized what he said the minute the words passed through his lips but it didn’t seem to phase her. “ He kissed her one more time before letting her go. “I couldn’t help myself. I love how soft your lips are Maggie.”

She blushed yet again. She knew exactly what he had said but chose not to dwell on it because they might not make it through dinner if she had. “I like yours too.” Shaking off the fog she was in. “Would you like a glass of wine?”

He pretended not to notice the shade of pink her cheeks had become. “ That would be nice.”


Dinner turned out great. Thank goodness! She didn’t have a lot of time to prepare but it worth every rushed minute she spent when he told her that dinner was exquisite.” Cooking is what I’m good at. I do it well.”

“Maggie darlin’. Please don’t say things like that.”

“Like what?” She replied innocently. Oh fudge! She screwed up again! She just knew it.

“What you just said.” She really had no idea that what she said had an amorous effect on his body. Lord did it ever. He was trying to use all those old tricks to deflate the situation going on his pants but her innocence was more of a turn on than he could have possibly imagined. There really is no innuendo in there unless you’re looking for it and maybe he just let his mind wander there because he wanted to be with her so bad it hurt.

“What did I say?”

Instead of trying to explain it to her, his eyes connected with hers like they did when he first walked in. His lips brushed hers softly as they sat there on her couch. They sat there learning one another as their soft little kiss had intensified and their tongues became part of a very intimate dance.

She really had no idea what she’d said but maybe she needed to say it again because the whole scene had spiraled out of control. She laid beneath him on the couch in a sensation overload she was sure her friends had been through more time than they could count but was all so very new to her. Very much enjoying the feeling of his body over hers; connected with hers. She really needed to get a handle on that warm and tingly thing. Maybe he needed to? She didn’t know. She knew there were things going on inside her that she had no clue as if they should be going on. She just knew some of them felt better. Like this. His lips moving down along her neck. Sighs coming from her lips as he did.

He was going to have to stop if he wanted to make it through another night with her but Mercy did she feel good as she wriggled beneath him. How delicately her hands skimmed over his back. How they just fit! Their tongues twisting and God help him she knew how to kiss! One thing she was very GOOD at but it was her hand moving to a place he didn’t think would go for a long time that stopped him. Her grip was firm enough to send the man downstairs into overdrive. He drew out of their kiss breathless and the look of confusion showed on her face yet again. “We’ve got to stop Maggie.”

“Brian please don’t do this again.” She blew it. Her hand moved too far and he didn’t like it.

“Maggie I can’t stay. I know you think you’re ready for this but I only want to be with you when your heart’s ready.”

How did he know it wasn’t? Oh right, because she wasn’t sure where her heart was with him. There were feelings involved that undeniably she wanted to feel again but she wasn’t going to go against what she felt morally. Still it hurt and he was going to see that all too soon if he didn’t just leave. Maybe her heart was already involved. She nodded in response as he moved off of her and to the other end of the couch. The sniffles were starting and she needed to get it under control. Too late. She felt the first tear slide down her cheek and she knew he saw it.

“Maggie, please don’t cry,” he requested of her as he moved down next to her then lifted her chin.

“I know you think I don’t know what I’m feeling but I do know and I want to feel it with you.”

He tilted her chin up to look at him. “And I want that more than anything in the world myself darlin but we’ve only been doing this out in the real world for a couple of weeks. I’m not going anywhere. Don’t worry about it. I’m not all those other guys that ran away the minute you said no. I’m the one saying no here. I’ll be here when it’s time and we’ll know together when it is okay?”

“Okay.”

“You’re going to be okay right?”

“Yeah.”

“Good. Yours is the only heart I won’t ever break.”

“Promise?” She smiled; the tears slowly drying up.

“I promise. I’ll call you tomorrow.” Placing a chaste kiss on her forehead because he knew if his lips met hers again, he couldn’t be held responsible. As he drove home that evening ,so many thoughts swarmed through his head. Then he landed on the one that hit the hardest. The reason Maggie was so cautious and fragile was because she’d never been with a man. Period.