- Text Size +
Two days had passed but they were still meeting at the coffee shop every morning. He’d even ordered her favorite that morning. They held hands and shared a few kisses but nothing as grand as what happened on her couch. Nothing that stellar had ever happened on her couch. Heck, nothing that incredible had ever happened in her apartment. It was so hard to leave him every morning but she was really falling for him.
That’s all it could be. All the emotions she felt, she had only read about in books or heard about from her friends. In fact, she was almost late for work yesterday because she couldn’t say goodbye. She saw him look at his wrist then into her eyes.

“It’s getting to be that time again darlin. Couldn’t you play hooky just one day?”

When he looked at her with the puppy dog eyes, it took all the strength she had to resist.” I wish I could.” Leaning closer, she said,” I’ll miss you.”

“What about tonight?”

“The weekly book club. I’m trying to keep my friends cultured.”

He chuckled.” Then maybe we could do dinner at my place tomorrow night?”

“Sounds good to me. “ She softly kissed him.” I can get your address in the morning.”

His lips met hers again.” Sure you can’t play hooky?”

She giggled just as his phone rang. “Goodbye.” She pecked him on the cheek and left him sitting there to take his call.

“Hey AJ. What’s up?” He felt so bad. He’d ignored his friends since Nick’s wedding. Granted, it hadn’t been quite two weeks but he’d been spending all his free time with Maggie and loving every minute of it.

“That’s what I’d like to know. Anything going on with the girl in the picture?”

“We’re dating.”

“So you’re telling me it’s strictly platonic at this point?”

“No. I’m just saying me and my hand are becoming good buddies because she’s not that kind of girl and I’m not going to pressure her.”

“You don’t have to get defensive. I get it. You like her.”

“AJ. She’s never been with a man period.”

“Ever?”

“Never.”

“Fuck. That’s rough.”

“Don’t I know it but she’s worth it.”

“I can’t wait to meet her if she means that much to you Rok. I’ll catch ya later.”

“Later J,” he replied and hung up. He couldn’t stop thinking about her and morning couldn’t come soon enough. Maybe he should drop by and meet her friends. They were going to meet someday. May as well get it over with right?





“So I wanna know about your man Mags!” Deidre demanded the information before they even got to the book that evening.

“Yeah I’d like to know about the guy that’s taking up all your free time now,” Jasmine teased Maggie.

“You guys! We’re here for book club.” Maggie blushed. Couldn’t be the wine this soon could it? De’s latest fling had just come back from Maui and brought her the tropical pineapple wine (along with other things she really didn’t want to know about).
She couldn’t remember why he didn’t take Deidre with him but that’s beside the point.
Maybe it was the combination of the wine and the fact that despite being with her friends, Brian was consuming her every thought. That was a good thing right?

“ I don’t want to give you a hard time Maggie but this must be good if you’re blushing like a beet,” Camille added.

“Okay but after I tell you about my oh so lengthy love affair, we talk about the book.”

They all nodded and sipped their wine.

Maggie started.” So I made it through the first date. When we were at my door, instead of just kissing me, he asked if he could.”

“That is too sweet!” Jaz declared.

“Anyway, Sunday morning while I was talking to Camille he called. Our second date we saw The Lucky One. I think that made him a little more amorous than usual.”

“Guy was horny,” De interjected.” I went to see her Monday on my lunch hour and she told me what happened. They were getting hot and heavy and he got a boner!”

“Thank you for that colorful synopsis of the night’s end De.”

“Don’t tell us you’ve never got that far with a man Mags. You’ve kissed enough guys,” Jasmine replied in astonishment.

“But never that heated. I felt things I’ve only ever heard you guys talk about.”

“Pretty nice feeling huh?” Camille smiled.

“I didn’t hate it. So anyways, after De left, I got a text from him and we had dinner. After dinner, apparently I said something that could be construed as sexual. You guys, do I really have to give you the play by play?”

“Yes!” They replied in unison. Even Camille, whom was usually on her side. Crap!

Maggie sighed and continued,” He got aroused again when my hand slipped onto his butt.”

“You go girl!” Jasmine congratulated her.

Just then, the doorbell rang; interrupting their girlie banter. De jumped up and headed for the door before Maggie could protest.

“Expecting anyone?” De grinned as she swung the door open. She smiled and announced. “Maggie it’s for you!”

Maggie got up off the couch and crossed the room to the door. There stood Brian with another vase and six roses . Three of each color this time. “Hi.” She smiled shyly.

“You don’t mind that I stopped by do you?”

“Well if you’re going to bring me flowers, you can drop by anytime you want. Come on in. We were just finishing up weren’t we ladies?” Dropping the hint so hopefully they would leave.

“Actually I think we were just getting started,” Deidre spoke up.

After setting the vase on the counter, she took his hand and whispered,” You really want to meet my friends?”

“Of course I do. I’m sure it’s not as bad as you think,” He returned in whisper and smiled.

“How bout you introduce us to your friend Mags?”Jasmine was the next to speak up.

“Okay. Brian, the one that just spoke up is Jasmine. You already met De and the one over there being quiet is Camille.”

“It’s nice to meet you all but I won’t keep you ladies. I just stopped by to say hi to Maggie,” He said and gave them all a smile.

“I’ll see you out,” Maggie said softly and closed the door behind them once they were in the hall. Once alone, she grabbed his face and kissed him with all that she had.

“What was that for darlin?”

“For being you…….. and the flowers.”

He pulled her back into his arms and kissed her just as passionately as she did him.

“What was that for?” she said; coming up breathless.

“For being you. I’m gonna go before we get in trouble again.” Kissing her one last time before leaving her with, “I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

When she stepped back inside the apartment, De was the first to make a comment. “He’s cute. And he does have a nice butt!”

Leave it to De but she was too much in love to care about it. At least De didn’t embarrass her.