- Text Size +
Brian arrived home late Sunday evening so he decided to surprise Maggie at work on Monday. He was pretty sure they knew she had a man in her life by now and if they didn’t, they would by the end of that day. He loved watching her read to the little ones. She was going to make a great mother someday. He hadn’t really thought about that much until he’d spent time with his own mother that weekend. Women have this amazing instinct to know when something is going on in your life and his mom had pushed him for information until he spilled the beans about Maggie. Even his Father was excited to meet her.

He’d called Maggie Saturday night but he didn’t tell her about his folks wanting to meet her just yet. Figured it might be a good idea to wait until he could do that in person. Plus, he kind of had to ease her into his world where all of it was concerned. He was curious to meet her family considering everything they’d been through and how sheltered her parents had kept her throughout her early years. Just from talking to her he could tell her formative years weren’t what every teenage girl dreams of. She had no first kisses, no sweet sixteen Birthday party, no prom. She even told him her mother made her bake her own Birthday cake on her sixteenth Birthday. He tried being objective but he really wasn’t liking her Mom thus far. He continued to watch her weave the magical tales the little minds were captivated by. Heck, she had him under her spell the minute he laid eyes on her in the coffee shop.

He waited until the crowd dissipated before he approached the corner where she was straightening up her props and books. It had taken all his strength just to hold back. He waited for her to turn because he didn’t want to scare her. She was wearing her favorite color that was quickly becoming his favorite too. The peach color just suited her. It was her signature. When she turned, her eyes lit up like a child’s on Christmas morning. Sure they’d been apart before but it was different now. “Hey there angel.”

He was home. Finally! She missed him so much it wasn’t even funny. She wanted to grab him and kiss him like she’d never do it again but she was in the workplace so she couldn’t do that. Tonight. She could ravage him then. Or not. She was still concerned with the whole contraception thing and she knew even once she started taking the pills, it would be a month before they even took effect. It was part of her research. It was amongst the many things she did this weekend to keep herself busy. “I missed you so much.”

“So can you take a break or did I come at a bad time?”

“Not at all. Give me just a minute to let Kari know I’m taking a break and I’ll be right with you.”

“Sure thing beautiful.”

She pecked him lightly on the cheek before she went off in search of her superior. She couldn’t believe he showed up at work. They’d seen him once before but now she was dating him and doing things with him she never did before. That was the fun part she mused. After letting Kari know she was taking a short break, she returned to Brian. She took his hand and led him outside. There was still a chill in the air but not like it had been. Once they were out of the public view, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her with all the life in him. With his arms around her, she forgot how cold it was outside. She wanted to stay wrapped up in his arms forever now. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you so much I couldn’t wait until dinner tonight,” he returned with a grin.

“So did you have a good time with your family this weekend?”

“The best in a long time but there was one thing missing.”

“What’s that?”

“You. I wish you would have reconsidered.”

“I still think it’s too soon but I do want to meet them someday.”

“They like you already.”

“How is that possible?”

“Because you make me happy and that’s all that matters to them.”

Maggie blushed.” You make me happy.”

“So Miss Maggie, this research you were doing?”

“It involved you and youtube. “

Now it was his turn to blush.

“What? I know what youtube is. I loved it. I thought it was neat to see you from the fan’s perspective. I know why your fans are so loyal now. Why they love you so much.”

“And?” He grinned.

“Now you’re just fishing.” She smacked his chest playfully.

“So what did YOU think of it?”

“I think I missed out on some great stuff in my teenage years because of my Mother.”

“I know you and your mom don’t get along very well but she is still your mom.”

“I know and I do love her. She just doesn’t love me very much or she would have let me have all those things a teenage girl is supposed to have. I talked to my grandma about it once but never got into the real reason why she was so overprotective.” She didn’t want things to turn so serious but maybe it was good that they did. She never really went into the why’s and how’s of the relationship with the woman that gave birth to her. She knew she didn’t get her heart from her mother because she learned all too quickly that her mother didn’t have one when it came to her. Grandma always said it was because she was prettier than her mom but she didn’t buy that for a minute. Never understood why her father was so in love. Guess you really can’t explain the whole concept. Here she was with the most giving man in the world and for the life of her she couldn’t understand why a man that had been around the world wanted to be with a woman that hadn’t gone outside her backyard. Her family’s summer vacations consisted of the annual family reunion in the next town over. Real worldly eh?

“Did you ever talk to your mom about it?”

“No. I don’t warrant enough importance for her to take three minutes. Could we talk about something else?”

“Sure.” He knew it was a rough subject so he let it go.

She sniffled as she managed to control the tears welling in her eyes.” You are the most wonderful man in the world.”

“Don’t you ever doubt for a second that you’re not incredible because I think you’re the best .”

She smiled. “I love you.”

“I love you too but I need to let you get back to work. I’ll see you tonight.”

He gave her a quick kiss and left. If she had any lingering doubts about their relationship, she didn’t anymore. She now knew he’d be there for her no matter what the obstacle.