- Text Size +
It’d been a month since he’d asked her that question and she agreed. She had a three day weekend so they decided it would be best considering the amount of work she had missed because of her ‘breakdown’. Her nerves were starting to get the better of her as they rode in silence in the rental car to his parents’ home. She felt his hand smooth over hers and she turned from the window.

“You have nothing to worry about angel. My parents already love you.”

“They don’t even know me Brian.”

“They know you make me happier than I’ve ever been in my entire life and that’s all that matters to them. “

“Your entire life?” Maggie’s brows rose curiously as they pulled to a halt in his parents’ drive. No pressure there.

“Maggie baby, I love you. I know you’re scared but my parents are harmless.”

“Even after the others you brought home?”

“Especially after the ones I brought home. They don’t want to scare you off.”

“I’m just afraid mine will do that to you.”

“Maggie, I love you with all my heart and if your folks are as old world as I think they are, your father is going to appreciate the fact that I ask for your hand in marriage.”

Her eyes widened. This was news. They’d talked a little about it but going so far as to get down on bended knee? She didn’t think he was ready so soon after the most recent one. She thought he’d be gunshy of the whole institution after that Hollywood starlet left him standing at the altar.

“Why are you so surprised?”

“I don’t know.”

“This isn’t the official proposal angel but we are going to look at rings very soon.”

Maggie reached over and pulled his mouth to hers. She didn’t care that his parents could walk out and find them this way at all. Her mother would have a field day but she didn’t care about that anymore either. After all the toads she’d kissed, prince charming had arrived.” Let’s do this.”

“So that’s all I had to do to get you to make the first move?” He teased.

“You’re lucky I love you,” Maggie grinned. “Now, are we going in or are we going to wait and let your parents find us?”

“I was just waiting for you,” he replied as he got out and went around to open her door. He took her hand; assisting her. Her skirt fell back down over her knees. It wasn’t terribly long but it was the same one she wore the day she met him .

“Have I told you how beautiful you look today?”

“About a million times but one more time might help before we get to the door.”

He closed the car door and held her hand as they made their way up the path to the house. They say you know when you’ve found the one you want to share the rest of your life with but it wasn’t until Maggie came along that he believed the truth in it. He’d marry her today if she’d agree to it but he was going to do it the right way and meet her parents as well before he made the formal request for her to become his wife. “You’re gonna be fine Maggie. Just be yourself.”

“They might not find out much about me that way then, “Maggie joked.

He squeezed her hand reassuringly and pushed the door open slightly; calling out for them.

No sooner had he called then they were at the front door to greet them. Maggie waited as he greeted his parents. She wished her family were more like his. They actually cared about one another.

“Mom. Dad. I’d like you to meet my girlfriend Maggie. Maggie, this is my Dad, Harold.”

“It’s nice to finally meet you. He goes on and on about you every time he talks to us,” Harold said.

Maggie smiled. “It’s nice to meet you Mister Littrell. I think he’s pretty special too.”

“Please call me Harold. “

“Okay.” Maggie nodded.

“Maggie, this is my mother Jackie.”

“He wasn’t lying when he told me you were a vision young lady. Let’s let the boys get your luggage and you can tell me what he hasn’t told me about yourself,” Jackie said.

She looked at Brian and it was the first time she’d seen him blush. At least they were matching now. She wasn’t used to such openness. She was enjoying it if the truth be told. “Okay.”

“Come into the kitchen with me.”

“Are you going to be okay with my mom?” Brian whispered in her ear.

Maggie giggled.” Go get the luggage.”

“Yes ma’am.” Brian left his mother and Maggie alone. He had been worried she was going to get put off by how comfortable and laid back things were here but she was easing into very nicely. Like she belonged there.


“So tell me Maggie, how did you meet my boy?” Jackie inquired point blank.

“Well, I met him online first but I didn’t know it was him. We frequent the same coffee house but had no idea we were talking to each other on our computers. He finally got the nerve up to sit down and introduce himself one day then a few nights later online, he asked to meet me at the coffee house. I felt like I was betraying him but I told him I’d met someone but he still wanted to meet me. So the next morning, we met at a different location and he held a peach colored rose so I could find him. We had our first date that weekend.”

“Breathe child,” Jackie said as she reached across the table and took Maggie’s fidgety hands.

“I’m sorry.”

“There’s no need to apologize. Brian’s told me a little about your family. Don’t feel as if you have to be guarded here. We love our son very much and from what I can tell, so do you.”

“I do.” Maggie knew she had a goofy grin going on and didn’t care one bit. She liked his mother. So unlike hers.

“Can I ask you something Maggie?”

“Sure.”

“Is Brian treating you good?”

“Better than I deserve sometimes I think.”

“Oh sweetheart, what did your parents do to you?”

Oh great! A pity party for Maggie. Shut up! She told her conscience. Unlike hers, his mother actually did listen when she talked.” It wasn’t my parents. It was my mother. I didn’t date until my senior year of college because she made me fear men.”

Jackie looked at her; puzzled.

“My mother thought I would have been better off staying home and waiting for prince charming to ride up on his horse instead of getting out in the world and discovering it. I think sometimes she resents me for doing what she never took the time to do.”

“So she’s not happy with the life you’ve led?”

“No. She’s thinks I’m an old maid.”

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry to hear that.”

“I know somewhere deep down she loves me and I’ve just come to terms with the fact that she’s not a very affectionate woman.”

“Well you better prepare yourself then young lady because we got plenty of it to go around here.” Jackie smiled. Poor child. She never got to be a normal teenage girl.

Maggie returned the gesture and replied,” I think I could get used to that.”