- Text Size +
They pulled up in front of her parents’ home early the next Friday evening. He was nervous moreso because of the question he was going to ask her father but they were both on edge because of her mother in general. He knew Maggie loved her mother but only because she was family. She never had a real mother/daughter relationship until his mom came along. Maggie finally had that one thing that she’d missed out on all her life. It was amazing that Maggie didn’t turn to women for what he understood her mother told her of men.

Maggie turned to him and said,” Ready to do this?” Her dad wasn’t the big obstacle. It was her mother. Always her mother. She never approved of anything Maggie did. Why would she believe that Connie would approve of Brian? Just because he had strong religious values, that would make no difference to her. She would focus on his lifestyle. He was a musician. Musicians were deviants period in her book.
She was going to face her mother this weekend and she would have the strength to do it because Brian was by her side. It took some time but he made her believe she could do anything.

He squeezed her hand reassuringly despite his anxiousness and replied,” We’re going to be fine angel. We’ve got a higher power than her on our side remember?” He joked.

“ I love you so much,” she smiled and leaned over; softly kissing him.

“I love you too baby. “ He exited the rental car and traveled around the back to open her door for her. When she was out of the car, he took her hand and started walking toward the front door. She stopped him and kissed him more passionately than he’d ever known her to. “What was that?”

“The last bit of passion you’re gonna know for the next three days handsome,” she replied; her lips softly brushing his for what she knew would be the last time as she heard the familiar clearing of her mother’s throat.

Not a good first impression but it’s not like they had their tongues down each other’s throats either. He always let Maggie take the lead on their public displays. Although they did make out in the back row of the movies a couple of nights ago. She was getting braver. He could see Maggie paint on her smile and greet her mother. Maggie was a younger version of her mother and that was a good thing considering her mother didn’t look like she should have a daughter Maggie’s age. However, the discerning brow he was getting from her did not make her very attractive. He was thankful that Maggie had never picked up on that.

“Mom, I’d like you to meet Brian. Brian, this is my mother, Connie,” Maggie introduced them. Her heart was in her throat with the anticipation of her mother’s next move. Shoot! Even what she could say to him in the first five minutes frightened Maggie.

Brian stepped forward and smiled. “It’s nice to finally meet you Mrs. Nelson. I’ve heard so much about you.”

“I’m sure nothing good,” She replied.

Here we go! Just as she thought things might get worse before better, her father appeared on the porch. He picked her up and swung her around before setting her down. “Look at you Maggie Sue! I hardly recognize my sweet girl.”

She blushed but her father had always been warmer than her mother. Maybe she had a heart in there somewhere when they were alone but in public , she was always so icy. “ Daddy, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend Brian Littrell. Brian, this is my father Steve.”

With his right arm around Maggie’s shoulder, he extended his left hand to Brian and smiled warmly.” It’s nice to meet you young man. I’ve heard a lot of good things about you.”

“As have I Mr. Nelson. It’s nice to meet you.”

“No need to be so formal. Please call me Steve.”

“Thank you.”

“So can I help you with the luggage son?”

“I’d appreciate that.”

“Don’t be too long. Dinner won’t keep forever,” Connie added as they headed off to retrieve the suitcases. She turned back to Maggie.” So you finally found one.”

“Let’s not start off on this note shall we Mom?” Maggie requested of her mother.

“What note?”

“The one where you think there will never be anybody good enough for me unless you choose them.”

“Well there are some nice boys still available here in town that haven’t settled down.”

“Brian’s a nice young man too and I love him.”

“You’ve only known him six months child. How can you know that?”

“Maybe the same way you did when you married Dad at eighteen.” Maggie glared before pushing the front door open and stepping inside.

“Are you sleeping with the boy Maggie Sue?”

She was about to head up the stairs to her old room when she heard the question she knew her mother would eventually ask. She didn’t think it would be in the first frigging five minutes. She turned and looked disbelievingly at her mother before answering. “What if I am?”

Her eyes widened.

“I’m thirty years old mother and we are protecting ourselves.”

“Maggie! He’s a musician. You know how those guys are.”

“He’s not the hedonist you think he is Mom! He’s a good man with a good heart that loves to sing for his living. I hardly think you have the right to be judging him when you won’t even tell me now why you never let me get near a boy in high school!”

“I don’t know what’s come over you young lady but I don’t like what he’s turned you into.”

“He didn’t turn me into anything Mother! This is who I am. If you had it your way, I would have married Stuart Carroll the minute we graduated from high school!”

“I suggest you turn your voice down before your father hears you!”

“I pray to God he hears me! I’ve held my voice far too long. I still don’t know why you put the fear of God in me where men are concerned but I wish I would have been smart enough to figure out they aren’t all cavemen like you portrayed them to be!” Maggie turned and headed up the stairs; not allowing her mother to have the last word. Thank goodness she had Brian to lean on or she wasn’t going to last the weekend. She heard the voices coming in but paid no mind to them as she got to her room. She heard the footsteps coming the stairs and turned to find Brian with one of their cases.

“Are you okay angel? You were getting pretty loud down there with your mom.”

“I hate her! She does this to me all the time. I don’t know why I thought this time would be different.”

“It’s different because her little girl finally found someone and she’s threatened because she’s not the one to protect you anymore. Let’s get unpacked and let the dust settle a little before we approach it again okay?”

“ I don’t know if it’ll ever change Brian. She’s just not happy unless she’s making me miserable.” Maggie’s eyes flooded and the stream of tears followed. He pulled her into his arms and held her for some time before the flood gates closed. He was a good man. She just wished her mother weren’t so narrow minded. She looked at the damp spot on Brian’s shoulder then looked up into his eyes.” I think maybe I need to let you dry up.”

“I will as long as I know you’re okay.”

“I’ll be fine for a few minutes. It’s not like she doesn’t know now anyway.”

Brian chuckled. “I never thought I’d see the day but I’m glad you stood up to her. We’re gonna get through this angel. Just like everything else.” Her father was going to be a piece of cake to get through compared to Hurricane Connie.