- Text Size +
He was worried about Maggie. She hadn’t said a word since they left her grandmother’s house. She offered for them to stay with her for the night but Maggie politely refused her offer. She had a lot to digest and it kind of stumped him as to her mother’s reasoning for the denial of her teenage years. They had stopped for dinner but Maggie pushed the food around on her plate. He should have said something but what do you say? He finished his dinner and they headed for a hotel. Once they were settled , he readied himself for bed then let her go about her routine. His poor angel. Not exactly fun to know your mother found you to be a burden your entire life but to be jealous because you did all those things she wanted to do and never did at the same time? He wanted to mend her broken heart but this wound cut much deeper than anything he’d ever been through. At least he had a loving family at his side. Maggie barely had her father. Her grandmother was only doing what she thought was best . It really wasn’t her place to be explaining the reason why Maggie lost her teenage years. He watched as the light from the bathroom disappeared. His eyes returned to the book he was reading as he felt her slide into the bed next to him.

“Brian?”

Her tone so delicate. He didn’t like seeing her so fragile. First the pregnancy thing and now this. It had to sting knowing that the woman whom gave you life didn’t even care about your existence unless she could make you more miserable than she was. “Yes angel?”

“Thank you,” she replied softly; leaning toward his lips and kissing him gently.

He didn’t want to assume he knew what it was but he looked into her eyes and said,” You know I’m always here for you darlin’.”

“I know that but you’ve been more than understanding about a situation I don’t really understand myself.”

“It’s been a long day baby. Why don’t we just get some sleep and start all over tomorrow?” He suggested.

“Maybe that’s a good idea. I need to be fresh to face my mom.”

“You’re gonna be just fine my Maggie Sue.”

“I love you,” she smiled and gently rest agains his chest.

“I love you too angel.” He stretched over and turned the bedside lamp off; gently kissing the top of her head. She was a lot stronger than she gave herself credit for and he prayed that she would use that to guide her when took on her mom.



When they were getting ready that morning, he could tell she was still worried about how she was going to face her mother. He knew her mother meant well but she made Maggie’s life a living hell in the process. And what was that woman gonna do once she found out Maggie may not be able to get pregnant? Maybe it would knock some sense into her. Not likely but one can dream. She stepped out of the bathroom and he diverted his gaze from the morning news playing on the television. She was the breath of fresh air in his life every day. She didn’t need makeup to look beautiful but she looked even more gorgeous when she did. She had opted to go au natural that morning. She had pulled on a pair of white capris and a lavender blouse. Her hair was pulled away from her face with a clip.

“What?” She smiled at him. It still embarrassed her when he gave her those long admiring gazes but moreso if they were in public. The one thing she did enjoy about it was that he wasn’t shy about it. He let the world know in no uncertain terms that every time she was on his arm that she was the only one in the world and they’d better step back.

“I haven’t told you how beautiful you are today.”

“Brian,” she blushed at his compliment.

“Are you ready to go?”

Maggie took a deep breath and replied,” As ready as I’ll ever be.”

He slid off the bed and joined her where she stood. Taking her hand in his,” You’re a strong woman Maggie. Don’t ever let her make you doubt that. You shook her when you didn’t back down. Don’t let her do it now.”

“I won’t.” She squeezed his hand. “ Let’s go.”

“You got it baby.”

She was more relaxed as they headed toward her parent’s house and that’s the way he wanted it. He knew this was her way of dealing with avoiding ugly subjects so he supported her. Her father was on the front porch when they arrived and came down to greet them.

“Daddy,” she replied and hugged him after he’d opened the door for her.

“Are you sure you’re ready to talk to her again? Your grandma called and told her you two spoke.”

Maggie pulled out of his embrace and looked at the ground. She had never defied her parents. Well we all know about Prom but she felt like she was sixteen all over again when he informed her. Her father’s voice made her raise her eyes to his. “ Everybody around here treats me like a child and I was tired of it. I needed answers and she’s never given me a straight answer in my life. The only thing I’ve ever got from her is because I’m your mother and that’s all you need to know. I didn’t want to go behind her back but I had to know why she stole my adolescence from me.”

“Don’t you think that’s a little harsh Maggie Sue?”

“It’s the truth Daddy. While other girls were out holding hands and stealing one last kiss before curfews, I was holed up in my bedroom reading or studying. I don’t like feeling the way I do right now but I can’t help it.”

“I know baby and you have every right. Just make sure you don’t break something you can’t mend.”

“ I’ll try daddy.” She pecked him on the cheek and linked her arm through his and smiled at Brian. He returned the gesture and followed them inside.

The room was eerily silent as she and her mother looked at one another. She hated her more than life itself right now but she had to make sure she approached it rationally as well.

“Buy you a drink Brian?” Steve spoke up.

“Umm……sure,” He answered cautiously.

“We’ll be in the kitchen if you ladies need anything okay?”

“Thank you,” Maggie replied as she pecked her father on the cheek then Brian before they both left the room.

“You had no right to ask your grandmother such questions,” Connie scolded Maggie.

Maggie turned and glared at her mother. ”I had every right to ask her because you sure as heck weren’t going to give me any!”

“It was something you didn’t need to know.”

“You held me prisoner from being a teenager all those years because you thought I’d make the same mistake?! God Mom! I may not even be able to have children!”

Connie’s mouth gaped open at her daughter’s revelation.

“So all those years I could have had a normal teenage life you kept me locked up because you thought I was going to make the same mistake as you.”

“I only thought I was protecting you Maggie.”

“If men are such ogres, why are you still married after all these years?! Huh?”

“Not all men are horrible. Just teenage boys and musicians.”

“Now we get to it. I bet the boy that knocked you up was in a band wasn’t he?”

“Maggie!”

“No Mom! Brian is a good and decent man and I will not let you throw him in with every other type out there that are Cretans and have no respect for women! You were young! I get that but I won’t let you deny me my happiness because of something that happened over thirty years ago! I have Daddy’s blessing, I was hoping by some force of God that you would give it too but that would be asking too much of you.”

“Maggie I know I was selfish but maybe it was for the best.”

Maggie shook her head disbelievingly . “You may have given birth to me and I love you for giving me life but until you let go of this grudge you have against me, don’t expect me to forgive you. I really wish I could because I’m not that spiteful.”

“I did what I did because I do love you Maggie.”

“I’ve always been a burden to you and I always will be.”

“You’ll understand one day when you have children……oh wait, you may not be able to have them.”

“ Brian!” Maggie yelled. She was a mean spiteful woman and there was no way on God’s Green Earth she was going to stay another minute with this woman that claimed to love her.

He and her father came rushing to the living room. “Take me back to the hotel please. We’re at the Holiday Inn out on the edge of town if you want to see me before we leave Daddy.” She gave him a quick hug and left. She might be able to forgive her mother one day but she’ll never forget the hell she went through now knowing the reasons why she did.