- Text Size +
“What the hell are we doing at a library?” Nick complained as he and AJ pulled into a parking space late the next morning.

“You’re going to apologize to Maggie for being such a shit last night,” AJ replied as he pulled the keys out of the ignition.

“Why? “

“Because Maggie was too much of a lady to call you what you really were to her.”

“That proves nothing.”

“ Why are you being such a dick?!”


“That’s the pot calling the kettle black.”

“That’s why we’re here. I realized I was wrong and if you have any kind of conscience in you, you’ll come to your senses before we get inside.”

“Give me one good reason why I should.”

“Do you hear yourself Nick? You sound like a three year old. I’d give you a good whack upside the head if we weren’t here as your reason but since we are, your reason is because he was the first to congratulate you when you announced you were marrying Kelly. “

“So you’re telling me he doesn’t like Kelly?”

“I’m telling you that you do things for your friend that you sometimes don’t like but this girl means the world to him so we’re going to be good friends and apologize before we leave tonight.”

“Fine.”

“Well I wouldn’t want you to do it out of the goodness of your heart or nothing. Give her a chance. You might find out you like her.”

“I doubt it but I’ll give it a chance.”
“Come on. Let’s go in and find her,” AJ said and allowed Nick to enter through the sliding doors first. He wasn’t about to let the boy get out of this one. They located her in the children’s section in the story corner. AJ found himself getting involved as she wove the tale.

“She’s really good at this, “ Nick whispered. Maybe he hadn’t given her a fair shake.

“Told you.”

Maggie looked up and noticed the two of them just as she finished the story. Great! Like she needed this right now. Why were they there in the first place?

As the children dispersed with their parents, AJ and Nick approached her.

“Can I help you?” Maggie smiled and remained professional.

AJ nudged Nick.

“I’d like to apologize for how I acted last night. Alcohol makes me really stupid. Brian just hasn’t had a lot of luck in his love life and I just don’t want to see him hurt. You can understand that can’t you ?” Nick said.

“I can but you pretty much assumed that I was like every other woman that’s come into his life. You judged me before you even got a chance to know me,” Maggie returned.

“I know. AJ told me what I said last night. I really am sorry. “

“Why don’t we just start with a clean slate? “

“Fair enough. You tell a mean story Maggie.”

“He’s right. Those kids were at your mercy.”

Maggie blushed.

“Brian’s right. That is cute,” AJ commented.

“What?”

“The way you blush.”

Maggie bit her lip. She was at a loss for words. Why were they being so nice? Was Brian behind it? She’d figure it out.

“Well we should get going. We need to get packed but I’m glad we got this second chance. You’re a cool chick Maggie. I’m glad Brian found you,” AJ filled the void of silence that had surfaced.
“Yeah, he did good this time. We’ll see you around ,”Nick agree with AJ.

“One question before you go?” Maggie said and AJ turned.

“Does Brian know you’re here?”

“Nope. We’ll see you around Maggie,” AJ smiled and turned; leaving her alone

She turned and was busy in her corner when she heard the familiar voice.” I can see they’re still lining up for your attention Mags,” Chris remarked.

She turned and gave him a hug.” How’s it going stranger?”

“Good. “

“So what brings you here?”

“Well we missed the story hour so me and the munchkin are gonna pick a few books out and take them home.”

“Munchkin?”

“The tater tot now clinging to my leg is my daughter Isabel. We call her Izzie for short.”

“Daughter? Wow.”

“Can you say hi to Maggie miss Izzie?” He swept her up off the floor and the little girl just buried her head in Chris’ chest.

“She’s adorable. So how long were you and Trish together before Isabel came along?”

“One year. We’ve been together almost five now.”

“That is really amazing Chris.”

“So you and Brian?” He raised his brow.

“Really? Brian was the first.”

“Seriously?”

“Seriously. And I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

“Daddy,” Isabel whined.

“Okay it’s time to go get some books. We’ll try to make it on time for story hour next week. I hear the storyteller is pretty amazing.”

“Listen, I’ll talk to Brian when I get off and see if maybe the four of us can do dinner sometime soon.”

“That’d be nice. Can you say goodbye to Maggie?”

Isabel timidly looked up and smiled before returning to her previous position.

“See you later,” Maggie smiled as they left her. She prayed that God would give her and Brian one that had the best of both of them. She knew that was most likely impossible but she wouldn’t give up as long as she was alive and breathing. God does work in mysterious ways after all.