- Text Size +
It was the insistent ringing of the doorbell that woke Brian up. After a few moments of confusion, he remembered where and the reason why he was sleeping on the couch. With eyes all swollen and red and a start of a migraine, Brian fought with the instict to curl up and hide inside his small ball and went to open the door, finding himself meeting the worried faces of his family.
«Oh sweetie.» It was all his mother could say before enveloping her son in a hug that only a mother was able to give.

«I should have expected it. You did know it, didn't you Nick? I don't remember if angels have the power of foresight but I'm sure you did see them arriving, their car full of decorations and food like I haven't eaten in centuries. Well, I don't think mom isn't wrong about that...
As always, that woman has taken control over the house. She've sent me upstair to take a shower and she actually threathen to ground me in my room with Harry until I have reached a sort of normal state.
Something happened while I was searching for something to wear that it wasn't my usual payamas. I found our diary. I thought, I really thought that I had gotten rid of it in a rage but... I guess Kevin found it and kept it, waiting for the right moment to give it back to me. Anyway, I started going through it and it hit me how many projects we had, Nick. And one... one was meant to happen this Christmas.
I didn't know where or how I found the courage and the strength to do it, Nick. But I did it. I did what we were supposed to announce together this Christmas, hand in hand while we were going to watch our family getting emotional and see the love drawing lines upon their faces. Our family because mine had become yours, the one you never had and the one you fought so much to be accepted and loved for who you were. Even when you knew it was going to be a failure.
I did it.
We were sitting around the table, just few minutes before starting to have dinner and after dad finished our ritual prayers. I was still holding mom's hand when I started telling them how in August you took me in that same park where I tried to be with you again. I told them how you got on your knees and asked me to give him the chance to spend our life together. I told them that it was our plan, that we had already decided that Christmas Eve, this day, would have been the perfect day to tell everyone. 'Cause this was supposed to be our gift for them.
In a way, it was like that.
In a way, it was like you were hery by my side while telling them. And you were still here when mom and dad started to cry, saying how proud they were for that son that had came into their life and that would keep staying no matter whar. Yes, Nick, they were talking about you. Even Harry teared up, you know? He said that you were already his favorite brother-in-law because you were the only one who got me.
No matter what, tonight has been a good night. The pain was there everytime that my eyes would fall on that empty chair but all the memories and my family's tales soothed it: things I already know and things that you have never told me.
You were there with us. So, Merry Christmas, my love.»
Chapter End Notes:
I couldn't leave Brian all alone on Christmas day. I'm not that evil.... XD