- Text Size +

Harper stood in the middle of her bedroom in the condo, surrounded by every article of clothes she had brought with. Nick had asked her on a date on their way home from Disney and now she was running out of time. She grabbed a robe and rushed out of her room. The other four were making dinner in the kitchen.

"Cress, I need help!" Harper exclaimed.

"What's up, Harp?" Cress turned from the stove where she was stirring something.

"Nick asked me out tonight and I have no idea what to wear." Harper cried. "And I've only got fifteen minutes before he gets here."

"I've got this." AJ wiped his hands off.

"You?" Harper looked very unsure.

"Yep. Let's go." He left the kitchen and Harper had no choice but to follow him. He stepped into her bedroom and gasped slightly at the mess. "You do need help."

"I know."

"Well, Nick's really predictable. He'll be taking you to Carmi's. It's his favorite restaurant. And he'll be wearing a white suit with a light green undershirt." AJ said as he picked through her clothes.

"How do you know all this about him?" Harper asked.

"Nick's a creature of routine. He has one outfit he wears on first dates and he always wants to eat at Carmi's." AJ shrugged. "I'm very observant."

"I guess." Harper agreed. "So, what should I wear?"

"I'm thinking this." AJ held up a filmy white knee-length skirt and a sage green tank top with sequins sewn in. "Wear those strappy green heels and you'll be set."

"Thanks, AJ." Harper hugged him and pushed him out of the room. She curled her long red hair into waves and applied light makeup before stepping into the outfit AJ had picked out. She chose a silver chain with a white opal pendant and went with diamond crusted hoop earrings. She took a final look in the mirror before walking into the kitchen. Nick was leaning against the fridge talking to their friends. Harper smothered a laugh when she saw that AJ had been right. He wore a white suit with a light green shirt unbuttoned to reveal the white t-shirt underneath. Sunglasses were shoved in his spiky hair and Harper thought he looked super hot.

"Hey." Nick said when he saw her. "You are beautiful."

"Thanks. AJ helped." Harper smiled. "You look nice too."

"AJ's good with girls clothes." Nick laughed and turned to his friends. "Don't wait up, guys. We'll be late." With that, he pulled Harper from the house. She was shocked to see a black Corvette in front of the condo.

"How many cars do you own?" Harper asked as she slid into the sports car.

"Four. Cars are a hobby of mine." Nick shrugged as she got in the drivers seat.

"Purses are a hobby of mine." Harper shook her head. "I guess you can afford it though."

"Yep." Nick nodded. He pulled out of the hotel complex.

"Where are we going?" Harper asked.

"An Italian restaurant named Carmi's." Nick said.

"I hear it's good."

"It is." Nick glanced over at her smiling face. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." She shook her head.

"What is it?" He frowned.

"It's just that AJ said you'd be wearing that and you were gonna take me to Carmi's. I think it's funny that he knows you so well." Harper shrugged.

"AJ talks too much." Nick said.

"So, where do you live Nick?" Harper asked.

"I bought a condo in Kissimmee last year when my family moved to California." Nick explained. "Before that, I lived in Tampa."

"That's close, right?"

"About an hour away." Nick nodded.

"Do any of the guys live with you?"

"No. AJ just bought a house not far from me and the other three guys live together in an apartment downtown." Nick explained. "What about you girls?"

"We share a house in Illinois." Harper said.

"Do you work?"

"Yeah, we all three work at a gas station my dad's friend owns in town. And we go to college." Harper explained.

"What are you studying?"

"Public Relations."

"I hate our PR guy." Nick lamented as he pulled into the restaurant parking lot. He parked the car and walked around to open Harper's door for her.

"Thank you." She smiled at him and took his hand when he offered it.

"You're welcome." Nick couldn't keep the smile off his face as they walked inside. He gave his name to the host and was pleased when they were led to a cozy corner booth.



Back at the condo, dinner was gone and everyone was sitting around the living room. Crestian was reading a travel magazine in a recliner while AJ was leaning against the front of her chair. Catie was curled in a wicker chair and Brian was staring out the window.

"We should do something." He said suddenly. "This is boring."

"We should. This is your first night here." AJ spoke up.

"Don't you guys ever get tired?" Cress yawned.

"You guys are only here for a few days. We have to make the most of it." Brian decided and pulled Catie from the chair. "Go get dressed to go out."

"Brian, we're only 20. We can't go out." Catie protested.

"I can get you in." Brian turned to Crestian and pointed at her. "You're next."

"AJ, tell him." Cress said.

"Get dressed, Cress." AJ stood up. "Put something nice on and we'll go to the strip."

"The strip?" Catie asked. "What's that?"

"It's about ten blocks of clubs, restaurants, and stores. Everyone goes there." Brian explained.

"Should you be going there?" Cress wondered. "Will it be safe?"

"It'll be alright." AJ nodded and pushed her to her room.

Crestian eyes AJ's black cargo pants, white ribbed tank, and yellow over shirt. "Are you wearing that?"

"Yeah." He nodded. "Get dressed." AJ dismissed Crestian's worries and got a soda out of the kitchen. He sat down in the living room and watched Brian stare out the window. "What are you doing, Frick?"

"Just thinking." Brian turned to look at AJ. "You're not wearing that, are you?"

"What is it with you people?" AJ exclaimed.

"That's all right, Bone. You always look like a slob. Why should tonight be any different?" Brian laughed.

AJ glared at Brian's khakis and green and tan over shirt. "I'll change at the apartment."

"Why the apartment? You don't even live there."

"I'm gonna borrow something of Howie's. He won't mind."

"He minded last time when you neglected to return it. Do you really want the girls to see the apartment? It's a disaster."

"It's not my fault you guys are pigs." AJ shrugged.

"We're not pigs." Brian denied.

"Whatever." AJ scoffed. He propped his feet on the coffee table and flipped the TV on. "You think anyone will be out tonight?"

"I think everyone will be out. It's spring break." Brian said. "It's gonna be packed."

"Good. The strip's better when there's a ton of people out. We blend easier."

"Does this look alright?" Catie asked as she stepped into the room wearing white leather pants and a royal blue and white zebra printed backless shirt. A silver chain was wound around her bare belly and her hair was straightened around her face.

"Uh... yeah. Y-you... look great." Brian stammered out.

"Thanks." Catie stepped into white wedge heels and twirled around.

"Cress, where are you?" AJ called. He couldn't wait to see what his girl was wearing.

"Just a minute!" She called from the bedroom where she tying her yellow sparkly halter around her neck. The back of her shirt draped open to her waist and she had paired it with tight black capris. She had left her hair up in the ponytail and recurled the ends. After stepping into black Playboy flip flops, she walked into the living room and did a twirl. "What do you think?"

"I think you are smokin' hot, Cress!" AJ leaped from the couch and hugged her, his hands splaying across her bare back.

"Thanks." She grinned. "Are we ready to go?"

"Yep. Let's go party!" Brian exclaimed and led the way outside.





"This is wonderful, Nick. Thanks for bringing me here." Harper said. She and Nick were slow dancing in the center of the restaurant. Nick held her close and Harper loved the way he made her feel.

"You're welcome, but the pleasure is all mine." Nick kissed Harper on the forehead and scanned the room for people he knew. This was a popular place for regular people and celebrities alike, so he wasn't surprised when he saw Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson sitting at a table at the edge of the dance floor. Nick groaned when he saw his ex, Mandy, walk in with Justin Timberlake. Two of his least favorite people in the world. Lovely.

"You want to get out of here, Harper, and do some real dancing?" Nick asked his date.

"If you want." Harper nodded. Nick escorted her back to their table so she could get her purse. They made their way to the door and were stopped by Nick Lachey saying hi to them.

"What's up, Carter?"

"Not much, Lachey. What's going on with you?" Nick asked, his arm around Harper's shoulders.

"Waiting on Jessica to get out of the bathroom. She saw your ex walk in and decided we had to leave." Nick chuckled.

"I know the feeling." Nick nodded. "We're headed down to the strip."

"That's where we're going."

"Why is that girl glaring at me?" Harper asked, nudging Nick with her elbow.

"That would be my ex. Mandy Willaford." Nick rolled his eyes.

"Oh." Harper nodded. "That would explain the glare."

"Just ignore her." Nick squeezed Harper closer.

"Are you going to introduce me to your date, Carter?" Nick asked.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry. Nick, this is Harper O'Brien. Harper, Nick Lachey."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Harper." Nick shook Harper's hand.

"And you. I'm a huge fan." She smiled.

"Here comes Jess. You have to meet her." Nick decided, holding his hand out for his girlfriend. "Jessica, meet Nick's date. Harper O'Brien."

"Hi there, Harper." Jessica tossed her long blonde hair over her shoulder and greeted Harper with a huge smile.

"Hi." Harper couldn't help but return the smile. Jessica's southern accent and welcoming attitude made Harper like her instantly.

"It's great to see Nick away from Mandy. He deserves so much better than that whore." Jessica made no show of hiding her hatred for the ex. Before Harper could respond, Jessica groaned deeply. "And here we go."

"Hi, Nicky." Mandy was standing next to Nick. "How are you?"

"Let's go, Harper." Nick led her around his ex and completely ignored her. "We'll see you later, Nick."

"Aren't you going to introduce me to the flavor of the week?" Mandy followed them out of the restaurant. Nick quickly escorted Harper to the car with Mandy throwing insults at them the whole way.

"It's over, Mandy. Be happy with Justin. As much as I hate him, he's more than you deserve." Nick said as he walked around the car and climbed in.

"I'll still be here when she's gone, Nicky!" Mandy screamed as the Corvette pulled away. "You know you still love me!"

"I'm sorry about that." Nick was saying as he peeled away.

"It's fine." Harper smiled over at him. "I understand."