- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

yes! yes! yes! Finally got her in a trap! Yes!

It had been a long time since he’d felt the anger surging through his veins. It had been a while since someone had pissed him off this significantly. Being the father of a crazy three year old had mellowed him out somewhat. He was vaguely aware of Nick and Howie trying to get him to calm down, think about his actions, but didn’t pay them any mind. Maybe, on a later date, he’d look back on this moment and regret it, wishing that he hadn’t acted on impuls, wishing that he’d actually thought it through. It was hard to think straight when all you could see was a red blur though. Swiftly, after a few moments, he turned around and stalked through the crowd of children. Whenever they would step aside, he’d give them a furious look and they shrunk back immediately. In any other situation, he’d have smiled at that, knowing that a semi-bald, middle-aged, tattooed man with a beard could easily intimidate young people. Not now though, now he was seething in anger, panting in frustration, feeling like he could explode at a single snap of his fingers.

He hadn’t wanted to believe Nick’s words at first, but when he thought about it a second later, he’d had to draw the conclusion that there had to be some kind of truth in the youngest speech.

Think about it, Bone! They’re working on a ‘project’” Nick had spat hatefully, flailing his arms up at the mention of ‘project’. “You said it yourself once, Hitmen hasn’t been in business for over a year!

So that had been the reason why he’d needed to investigate Hitmen Entertainment so frantically a few weeks ago. He’d watched Howie nod slowly, and then close his eyes in resignation. AJ had put the pieces together then and had felt the fury invading every part of him. Of course! Now it all made sense. Baylee’s accusing stares towards his mother, Leighanne’s aloof demeanour whenever Brian was near, and her husband’s painful oblivion to everything.

“How long has this been going on?” he’d yelled suddenly, causing both Nick and Howie to jump in surprise. He’d seen the first flicker of hesitation in Nick’s eyes before the singer had answered. “According to Baylee, almost a year.’’

That’s when the blinding fury had taken over and now he was stalking around the field in search of the cause of his anger. It was as if Leighanne had sensed the danger and had fled while she still could. AJ knew that was impossible though and his eyes searched the huge garden.

“Alex! Hold on! What are you going to do?” Howard was trying to get through to him again, but AJ didn’t answer him, because honestly, he had no idea what he was going to do.

“I’m going to give her a piece of my mind,” he did know that much. “This has got to stop, don’t you agree? Now where the hell is she?”

Before Howie could answer, AJ spotted Brian’s wife standing outside of the group, shaking her head disapprovingly at Nick’s present. A smile of triumph touched his mouth and slowly, he walked over to her.

“Hey…” he drawled with a mischievous grin.

She turned around and then promptly stepped back, a little intimidated. “Hey,” she answered unsure, with a questioning look.

“So, how do you like the boxer?” He heard Nick sneer behind him and his smile grew wider. Nick had obviously gained some confidence about the whole thing.

“Young man,” Leighanne scolded jokingly, “you do know that those animals drool on everything?

“Yes,” he spoke the word slowly, mokingly.

“Good, and when my whole carpet is covered in dog hair, I’m calling you.”

“I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

“So hey,” AJ interrupted the two, “can I talk to you err, inside for a sec?”

“What’s it about?” she was frowning now.

“You know, stuff…”

 

                January 2003

                “Look, I already told you I was sorry, didn’t I? What more do you want?”

His fiancée, well ex-fiancée technically, stared at him with a cold hardness in her eyes. Yes, he was sorry, and yes, he knew that that wouldn’t cut it. The old familiar feelings of pure self-hatred came back full force as he stared desperately into her wounded and disappointed eyes. He was an asshole, always had been, he didn’t deserve someone like her. She didn’t deserve someone that was only going to cheat on her.

“Just shut your mouth Alex, cause I don’t wanna hear it.” With that, she turned around, throwing the ring he gave her only months ago on the carpet.

“Sarah, wait!” he called hoarsely. He’d screwed up, screwed up so bad, but he knew that if there was anyone that could forgive him, it was her, even more than himself.

“No AJ! It’s too late, it too fucking late goddamnit! I can never trust you again!” He felt the sharp pang of guilt as he watched the tears streaming down her face, knowing that he was the cause of her pain.

“I swear, she meant nothing to me, baby! I love you! Please, give me another chance, I’ll do anything! I don’t want to lose you!”

“You should have thought of that before you slept with her,” she said unrelenting. “Next time you have a girlfriend, I hope for her sake that you’ll be able to keep your dick in your pants.”

“Sarah, please!”

“Goodbye Alex.”

 

November 2015

“Now can you tell me why you needed to talk to me?” Leighanne had grown considerably suspicious as they had made their way into the house. AJ hadn’t said another word the entire time and she was becoming a little worried, but curious as well.

“You’ll know soon enough,” she heard Nick say, who’d appeared right behind them. She didn’t know why, but it seemed like he was holding in some unexplained anger.

“Where’s Brian?” AJ barked loudly and he watched around in a wild manner. The behaviour of the two Backstreet Boys put her off immensely, and she felt the sudden urge to run away.

“He’s upstairs, asleep, I assume. It’s been a long day,” she replied hesitantly. It was only five o’clock, but remembering the way he’d almost seem to fall over in exhaustion at one point, she bet he was already sleeping like a log. She watched Nick’s face intently. He and AJ seemed relieved to know Brian wasn’t nearby, it did nothing to calm her nerves.

“Is that the only thing you wanted to ask?” she asked, although she already knew the answer.

“No, it’s not. But I assume you already know that…” AJ growled in a low tone. She couldn’t help but feel a little intimidated now. Would it be weird if she started screaming right here and now?

“What are you talking about Alex?” she asked instead.

“I’m talking about the little ‘free’ time you’ve had this past year,” AJ explained, coming even closer up to her.

“I’m not sure what you mean,” she tried, but felt realization dawning fast, although she tried to ignore it.

“I’m sure you know exactly what I mean!’ AJ almost screamed the last part. Leighanne desperately looked at Nick, but he didn’t seem like much help either.

“Does the name Larry Hitmen ring a bell?” he questioned instead, and she winced at the hatred in his voice. Her eyes got big and she stared at the two man in front of her, astonished, realizing they had her cornered.

“What about him?” she tried as innocently as she could. She was good at acting, had followed countless classes her entire life, but she good tell that the Backstreet Boys standing in her living room weren’t fooled in the least.

“Stop turning around it, Leighanne!” AJ exploded, “You know damn well what about him! Now, did you sleep with him or not?” he screamed, tired of having to touch the subject delicately.

Her mouth dropped and she stared at them with widened eyes, feeling the sudden rage well up inside her. What gave them the right to start interfering with her business? They’d never cared about that stuff before, had they? But just as quick as the anger, was the fear. Because, how much did they actually know?

“How dare you?!” she yelled, outraged, frantically trying to deny everything, because it was the only tactic she could think of right now. Make them believe you’ve done nothing wrong, that they are the ones going too far.

“Just answer the question, Leighanne!” Nick interrupted, “And don’t lie.”

“I can’t believe I need to explain myself before the two of you! Who do you think you are, having the right to accuse me of cheating? I would never do that! I’m not like you!” It was a low blow, but an accurate one and she watched the uncertainty growing in AJs eyes. Nick wasn’t so easy to melt though.

“It’s not about us, it’s not about the past,” he said sternly, not taking his eyes off of her. She just stared back at him, not knowing what else to do. She needed a way out, the familiar feelings of being trapped, that had chased her around all year, came back and she desperately watched the door to the kitchen.

“The relationship between me and Larry is purely professional, alright?” she tried, but Nick didn’t buy it for a second and she wondered where all her acting skills had actually gone to.

“I said, don’t lie!” He yelled suddenly and she looked at him in shock.

“I’m not lying!” she screamed loudly, hoping Brian, or anyone else could hear her. She didn’t want to have this conversation, not now, not ever. But certainly not before… no, she couldn’t even think about that, it hurt too much, it was too scary.

“No, then tell me what you and Larry, have been doing all year!” Nick barked, the rage exploding in his eyes.

“We’ve been working on a project, like I’ve told you a thousand times…” she explained helplessly.

“What kind of project?” Nick’s shaking voice was containing all the anger she could easily see dripping off of his face and she swallowed thickly.

“Theatre,” she whispered.

“Liar!” AJ spoke up again, “See, I know you are lying, cause we’ve checked!” he gestured to himself and Nick, “Hitmen’s been bankrupt for over year!”

A heavy, tense silence fell between the three, while she desperately searched for another excuse. She couldn’t find one and, knowing she’d have to surrender, that she couldn’t lie anymore, and for some reason, she didn’t want to anymore either, she looked up at the two.

“Okay, okay… Here’s the deal,” she began, defeated. 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

please review for more updates, thank you!