- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

the plot thickens. (a little)

please review, if you're still interested.

  1. Among The Stars

April 1993

To say Nick was pissed would be an understatement. He was angry, furious, and he felt like he was about to explode in a few seconds. He’d been forced to listen to New Guy sing and he’d realized that there would be no way in hell he’d be able to vote the guy out. Everyone looked like they were gonna piss themselves with excitement, especially Lou, and Lou was boss. And if that wasn’t enough, the fact that New Guy was exactly in Nicks range of singing, was. Why couldn’t he be bass, like Kevin and AJ? Why couldn’t he go bother Howie with a really high voice? Why did he have to be tenor, like Nick? Nick prayed with all his might that, once his voice had changed, he’d be something else than tenor. He watched sulkily as the others praised New Guy to heaven. Nick felt left out, as he refused to stand with the others.

It wasn’t even fair. Nick had worked so hard to be able to sing like he did, his entire life. He’d had singing classes when he’d been just five years old.  He knew the others had too, but not New Guy. He could tell by the way the guy was singing that he hadn’t had any form of training. He lacked technique and stability, but it still sounded great. New Guy was a natural, and Nick hated naturals. He smiled to himself. The problem with naturals was that, because they hadn’t ever learned a proper technique, their voices would ultimately begin to fail them. Nick would like to see that happen. It would shut New Guy up for good, better sooner than later.

“Nick, we really don’t need your sulking head in here, if you’re going to keep glaring, you better step outside,” he heard Lou comment.

Nick made a great deal of staring at Lou, as if he were considering something, and then stepped out of the room. Just to prove my point. Nick knew the others were looking at each other, silently electing one of them to go and talk to Nicky. He had a feeling it would be Kevin.

“Oh I would just love to know what’s going on inside your head, little man,” he heard the oldest member growl.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Nick really didn’t want to talk about it with New Guy’s cousin, cause he knew whose side Kevin would choose.

“Come on, you’ve been a pain in the ass ever since I even mentioned Brian to you guys, what’s your problem?”

“I don’t know…” Nick stretched, looking at the ground.

“You don’t really like new people, do you?” Kevin came right to the point. Very perceptive.

“I like you. It’s not just that he’s new. It’s…”

“What?”

“I don’t know…”

“Look, if you can’t even think of one single good reason not to like him, I don’t want to see you hating on him one more time, got it?”

“So he told you ‘bout what happened in the lounch room?” Nick asked innocently. I knew it! Too much of a pussy to go and solve his problems by himself.

Kevin’s eyes narrowed and he took a few seconds before he answered. “No.”

“Right!”

“What happened in the lounch room, Nick?” Kevin asked, staring into his face. Shit.

Nick opened his mouth, thought about it for a second and then he closed it again. “Nothing,’’ he answered, smiling sweetly.

“Ugh, grow up,’’ with that, Kevin left, turning around only once more. “Remember what I said, if you can’t be nice to him, then leave him alone.”

“Yes sir!”

Nick watched him leave, rolling his eyes. He knew now he had to live with the fact that New Guy was in their band, but that didn’t say he was gonna like it, or gonna give up without a fight.

 

September 2015

Nick watched the stars as they glittered thousands of miles above his head. He loved the stars, almost just as much as he loved the sea. The two concepts made him feel very small and insignificant, and he needed that. It kept him grounded, it kept him safe. He put an arm around Lauren and whispered something in her ear that made her smile.

“We would never make it,” she responded, still smiling.

“Why not? It’s worth a shot,” her boyfriend offered.

“We wouldn’t even get further than, what, maybe Jupiter?”

“Far enough. I just want to get out of here,” Nick muttered silently.

“You’re silly. We’re not astronauts, little goose,” she replied and put her head on his shoulder. Nick didn’t answer and watched the stars again instead. He sighed sadly. Lauren didn’t know how serious his offer had been. Of course he didn’t want to live among the stars, cause that would be silly. But lately he felt like he couldn’t breathe. He needed to get out, get away. Do something entirely different, only then maybe he could forget about everything. Only then maybe he could move on. But then again maybe it was too late to move on…

He was still thinking about it the next day as he drove to wherever he needed to be. He hadn’t bothered to check, his GPS would get him anywhere without question. Today would be the day. Today he would be free. If Kevin could do it, why can’t I?