- Text Size +

AJ sped to the hospital so fast that he left Nick hanging on for dear life in the passenger side.

 

“Slow down J! We need to get there in one piece! It’s not going to do anyone any good if we get into an accident on the way there!” Nick pleaded with AJ.

 

AJ ignored him and hit the gas even harder sending his truck flying onto the highway.

-------------------- 

Brooke and Denise sat in the emergency room lobby waiting for the doctor to come out and get them. Alissa had been rushed into the ER once the ambulance arrived and no one had told them anything.

 

“What if she doesn’t make it?” Brooke cried and Denise put her arm around her, not knowing what to say to ease her pain. They sat there for a few more minutes, when the door to the emergency room opened and both women jumped to their feet.

 

“Is she ok? What happened? What’s wrong with her? Is she going to be ok?” Brooke cried without giving the doctor a chance to explain.

 

“Please sit down ladies.” He pointed to the chairs they had just vacated. When both women were seated, he said “Your cousin is an extremely lucky woman. It’s a miracle that she’s alive.  She was severely beaten and has numerous injuries, some of which are life threatening. She’s stabilized for right now but she hasn’t regained consciousness. We’re going to be sending her up to ICU and she’ll remain there until she wakes up and we can figure out the true extent of the damage.” Brooke started to sob again.

 

They sat there in silence for a moment and tried to absorb the news. They were so preoccupied that neither woman noticed AJ and Nick come flying through the door.

 

The doctor stood up, put his hand on Brooke’s shoulder and said “I’m sorry”. He walked back into the emergency room. Brooke started hysterically crying again and Denise folded her into a hug.

 ----------------------------- 

AJ stopped in his tracks just feet away from his mother and Brooke. The doctor was sorry? What was he sorry for? AJ looked at the women and saw the looks on both their faces. He didn’t make it in time!