- Text Size +

About an hour later, they pulled up to Brooke’s house. Alissa noticed that the house looked dark and her cousin’s car wasn’t there.

 

“Wonder where they went?” Alissa asked, heading into the foyer. “Why don’t you go sit while I run up and change? Then we can head out.” She pushed him into the kitchen and ran upstairs to change.

 

AJ went to check out the living room. Brooke and Lucas had done an awesome job, everything was perfect. He lit the candles, checked on the food and turn on the music. 

 

“Are you ready to……” Alissa stopped suddenly went she entered the living room. “What’s going on?” she said quietly.

 

“I want us to have a special night together. We haven’t had any time to ourselves, except for our walk today.” He waited as she looked around. “Do you like it?”

 

Alissa smiled and reached out for AJ. “I love it! Thank you for doing this for me.”

 

“I did it for us.” AJ said. “Can I have this dance?”

 

Without waiting for an answer, AJ pulled Alissa into him and wrapped his arms around her tightly. He started singing softly into her ear.

 

Alissa suddenly recognized the song.  “How did you know what my favorite song was?”

 

“Your cousin.” He whispered and continued singing “More Than That” to Alissa.

 

Alissa smiled and nuzzled her head into AJ’s shoulder.

When the song finally ended, AJ pulled Alissa over to the couch and sat her down.

 

“I played that song for two reasons. The first is that I know it’s your favorite. But the second is much more important. I overhead your conversation with Brooke this morning.”

 

Alissa started to interrupt.

 

“Wait, please, let me finish talking. I know you’re afraid that I’ll do what Adam did or feel the way he felt, but you never have to be afraid of that. I’m never going to feel like that. I’m not going to say anything to you and take it back. Ever. All I’m ever going to want to do is take care of you and protect you.” AJ paused. “You need to know something else. I love you.”

 

Alissa just sat there not knowing what to say. No one had ever said anything like that to her.

 

“I love you Alissa and I can’t imagine loving anyone else as much as you.” AJ said and waited.

 

Alissa just looked at him.

 

AJ started to worry that maybe he said too much and was scaring her when she put her hand on his face and whispered “I love you too. I’ve loved you since the day you stood up for me and I saw the person that I always thought you’d be like.”

 

She leaned forward and kissed him gently. When she pulled back, she saw that he looked surprised. She waited for a minute and when he still didn’t say anything, she smiled and said “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you speechless.”

 

She was about to say something else when he reached over, put his hand on the back of her head and pulled her close. He kissed her gently and when she didn’t push back, he kissed her harder and whispered “Why don’t we just skip dinner?”